Is the universe, story, and characters of The Expanse too boring for those who want a space adventure on TV?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
This guy seems to think so.

TV needs a really great space saga and 'Star Trek: Discovery' comes close — but the longing remains

I have enjoyed all four seasons of The Expanse but found Star Trek Disco just another boring generic military space opera. I thought the spore drive was ridiculous and the aliens looked generic and boring. I found none of the characters likable or engaging. Some people think otherwise.

Are his views shared by most TV viewers or is he just another out of touch critic? Is the universe, story, and characters of The Expanse really that boring and uninteresting for mainstream TV viewers?

Does TV need a sci fi universe that is more like Mass Effect with many cool looking aliens and exotic technology?

Does the next space adventure that shatters expectations and becomes popular with the mainstream have to have aliens and FTL space travel?

TV needs a really great space saga and 'Star Trek: Discovery' comes close — but the longing remains

I have enjoyed all four seasons of The Expanse but found Star Trek Disco just another boring generic military space opera. I thought the spore drive was ridiculous and the aliens looked generic and boring. I found none of the characters likable or engaging. Some people think otherwise.

Are his views shared by most TV viewers or is he just another out of touch critic? Is the universe, story, and characters of The Expanse really that boring and uninteresting for mainstream TV viewers?

Does TV need a sci fi universe that is more like Mass Effect with many cool looking aliens and exotic technology?

Does the next space adventure that shatters expectations and becomes popular with the mainstream have to have aliens and FTL space travel?

Look, I'm a REAL Star Trek fan. Did you actually waste your time and money watching that shit on CBS All Access Discovery and Picard?

Fuck CBS. When push came to shove in the 1960s, CBS passed on Star Trek in favor of that kiddie show Lost In Space.

There hasn’t been a good Sci-fi show since Battlestar Galactica in the early 2000’s.

The Foundation looks good so far, but won’t know until 2021.

Then Dune movie is coming too, I just started reading the book.

Lifelong Science fiction fan here. I hate the entire genre from top to bottom right now. I think people have lost their optimism for the future and I'm sick of one stinking dytopia after another.

1594878856758.png

There's only a couple of sci-fi writers out today who are even worth reading and they are no comparison to the greats from the early days of science fiction.

I doubt Hollywood would know what great science fiction even looks like, much less science, since they're more concerned about inserting their politically correct agenda into everything.

*****SMILE*****

:)

1594880146849.png

Another thing... The Expanse, Dark Matter, Lost In Space (new one), Defying Gravity, are all serious and lack moments of humor.

Something that the makers of Battlestar Galactica (2004-2005) and Firefly (2002-2003) understood was necessary to draw interest.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:

there will never be another Babylon 5....

Forum List

Back