Is the universe an intelligence creating machine?

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Do you believe that given enough time and the right conditions that intelligence will eventually arise?

th

Define intelligence please.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:
th

*****SMILE*****

The ability to process abstract thought.

The ability to use deductive reasoning.

The ability to make observations about one’s surroundings to discover order within one’s surroundings so as to be able to make predictions.

These are a few examples of higher order functions.

th

*****SMILE*****

The ability to make observations about one’s surroundings to discover order within one’s surroundings so as to be able to make predictions.

th

Do whales, dolphins, chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, wolves, beavers, etc,... fit that criteria?

After all even horses laugh.

"I've found out why people laugh. They laugh because it hurts so much... because it's the only thing that'll make it stop hurting."
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger In A Strange Land

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:
th

*****SMILE*****

th

Do whales, dolphins, chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, wolves, beavers, etc,... fit that criteria?

"I've found out why people laugh. They laugh because it hurts so much... because it's the only thing that'll make it stop hurting."

*****SMILE*****

Not the level we have attained but they do prove the universe is an intelligence creating machine as they do have intelligence.

Last edited:
th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

Not the level we have attained but they do prove the universe is an intelligence creating machine as they do have intelligence.

th

Perhaps intelligence as we understand and define it. That does not mean they are not intelligent in their own way. Some may have taken paths we are yet to understand. Chimps use tools, beavers construct, whales sing, dolphins may have their own language, avians build nests, and there are many more examples that we mere humans are still observing and attempting to comprehend. In the end even a mere microb might contain the essence of intelligence of a very different sort.

The premise of your argument assumes that life exists everywhere in the universe and not simply on earth. Are you assuming that...

Life existed throughout the universe from the beginning and seeds suitable planets as certain conditions are meet?
---OR---
Life arises/forms/created independently on different planets as certain conditions were meet?

I find the latter argument for the formation of life to invalidate your premise and that it's life itself and not the universe that might be an intelligence creating machine. On the other hand if you answer that it is the former where life arose then life is a natural creation of the universe thereby validating your opening premise.

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:
th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

th

Perhaps intelligence as we understand and define it. That does not mean they are not intelligent in their own way. Some may have taken paths we are yet to understand. Chimps use tools, beavers construct, whales sing, dolphins may have their own language, avians build nests, and there are many more examples that we mere humans are still observing and attempting to comprehend. In the end even a mere microb might contain the essence of intelligence of a very different sort.

The premise of your argument assumes that life exists everywhere in the universe and not simply on earth. Are you assuming that...

Life existed throughout the universe from the beginning and seeds suitable planets as certain conditions are meet?
---OR---
Life arises/forms/created independently on different planets as certain conditions were meet?

I find the latter argument for the formation of life to invalidate your premise and that it's life itself and not the universe that might be an intelligence creating machine. On the other hand if you answer that it is the former where life arose then life is a natural creation of the universe thereby validating your opening premise.

*****SMILE*****

I am assuming that wherever life exists intelligence is striving to emerge because intelligence is intrinsic to life because it is written into the laws of nature.

th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

th

---OR---

*****SMILE*****

I am assuming that wherever life exists intelligence is striving to emerge because intelligence is intrinsic to life because it is written into the laws of nature.

th

So your opening question should read...

"Is life an intelligence creating machine?"

That way you avoid the controversy of how and when life is created in the universe.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Last edited:
th

I think that if life is given enough time and if the right conditions exist for life to evolve that intelligence of some form will develop.

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

th

*****SMILE*****

th

---OR---

*****SMILE*****

th

That way you avoid the controversy of how and when life is created in the universe.

*****CHUCKLE*****

But I see it as the purpose of the universe is to create life and intelligence. Everything which has unfolded since space and time popped into existence and began to expand and cool was directed at creating intelligence.

You can't tell what something is by how it starts. You can only tell what it is when it becomes it.

th

*****SMILE*****

th

---OR---

*****SMILE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

But I see it as the purpose of the universe is to create life and intelligence. Everything which has unfolded since space and time popped into existence and began to expand and cool was directed at creating intelligence.

You can't tell what something is by how it starts. You can only tell what it is when it becomes it.

I disagree, its purpose is to create love.

th

---OR---

*****SMILE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

I disagree, its purpose is to create love.

Same difference. As beings that know and create naturally love.

th

*****SMILE*****

th

---OR---

*****SMILE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

The differences of the origin of life as I pointed out are important in my humble opinion. It might explain a lot about origins...

So what's the purpose of a vast entropic system creating miniscule beings who can barely comprehend it's scope or complexity?

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

th

---OR---

*****SMILE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

The differences of the origin of life as I pointed out are important in my humble opinion. It might explain a lot about origins...

So what's the purpose of a vast entropic system creating miniscule beings who can barely comprehend it's scope or complexity?

*****SMILE*****

I believe its purpose is to create beings that know and create, aka intelligence, so that the creator can share in our experiences.

I am universe. And I do not think I am an intelligence creating machine.

Do you believe that given enough time and the right conditions that intelligence will eventually arise?

Perhaps intelligence will one day arise. But will we be intelligent enough to be able to notice this?

Kueken-aus-dem-Ei-600x600.jpg

Perhaps intelligence will one day arise. But will we be intelligent enough to be able to notice this?

Why do you believe you are the universe?

When ancient man was pondering where he came from and what his purpose was, he recognized that man was different than all other creatures.

He concluded that he was created in God’s image. In other words he was a being that knows and creates.

So just because man does not do perfect things, that doesn’t mean he isn’t intelligent. Just not as intelligent as he can be.

Because I am universe - and ever was.

PS.: But what I was "before", I don't know.

Last edited:

Because I am universe - and ever was.

PS.: But what I was "before", I don't know.

How do you know?

Forum List

Back