Is the PGA tour over-reacting by suspending the players going to the Saudi's LIV tour?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
The Saudi-backed LIV tour is posing the greatest challenge to the PGA tour it has ever faced. It has already enticed several top players to resign their PGA tour membership. The PGA leadership has suspended those players and removed them from the FEDEX cup. An interesting side note is that the suspended players can still play in the US and British Opens since those tournaments are not run by the PGA. The Masters and PGA majors are still in undecided whether or not they will allow LIV players to participate.

IMO the PGA tour has a right to protect it's "turf". The stars going to the LIV tour would not be stars without the tournaments and history that the PGA tour has developed. It has taken the PGA many decades and billions of dollars of investment to build the tour into what it is today. I'm also a traditionalist being an old golfer and fan so this LIV tour doesn't "feel right" to me. The Saudis are offering these players many millions of oil dollars and cherry picking the stars. I am surprised that these very wealthy golfers are making this choice especially guys like Phil and DJ who are clearly damaging their golf legacy for the big bucks. But it is their right to do that, it just surprises me. I'm glad Tiger is staying with the PGA tour and hopefully most of the top players will do the same.

What do you think? And if you don't care about the subject, please stay out of the thread. There is nothing more useless than someone dropping a "I don't care about this" turd in a thread. If you have an opinion please share. If you don't, please move on.

Apparently the Saudi tourney is hurting Canadas big tourney, which I am not aware of.

It's always a fine line. We accept oil and other products from many countries and no one cares, how is this the red line?

The Saudi-backed LIV tour is posing the greatest challenge to the PGA tour it has ever faced. It has already enticed several top players to resign their PGA tour membership. The PGA leadership has suspended those players and removed them from the FEDEX cup. An interesting side note is that the suspended players can still play in the US and British Opens since those tournaments are not run by the PGA. The Masters and PGA majors are still in undecided whether or not they will allow LIV players to participate.

IMO the PGA tour has a right to protect it's "turf". The stars going to the LIV tour would not be stars without the tournaments and history that the PGA tour has developed. It has taken the PGA many decades and billions of dollars of investment to build the tour into what it is today. I'm also a traditionalist being an old golfer and fan so this LIV tour doesn't "feel right" to me. The Saudis are offering these players many millions of oil dollars and cherry picking the stars. I am surprised that these very wealthy golfers are making this choice especially guys like Phil and DJ who are clearly damaging their golf legacy for the big bucks. But it is their right to do that, it just surprises me. I'm glad Tiger is staying with the PGA tour and hopefully most of the top players will do the same.

What do you think? And if you don't care about the subject, please stay out of the thread. There is nothing more useless than someone dropping a "I don't care about this" turd in a thread. If you have an opinion please share. If you don't, please move on.
You're surprised that professional athletes do stuff for money?

Trump to hold LIV tournament at Doral.

Trump the private citizen and businessman can do whatever he wants. I'm not crazy about the LIV tour and prominent PGA players going for the money, but they are private citizens and can also do whatever they want. I concern myself with government leaders who sell out our country to Communist Regimes and encourage mass migration, drugs and human trafficking into our country. That is infinitely more important than a new pro golf tour funded by the Saudis. As always JMO.

The World Golf Hall of Fame is 15 minutes from me.

There have been rumblings in some circles there that they may remove Mickelson from the Hall. I'm not positive, but I think the PGA owns the HOF and, as an aside, the Hall is closing here next year and being moved to back to its original location in Pinehurst, NC...

With all the rhetoric I forgot the intent of the vaccine shots. Clearly they don't prevent the onset of covid so why do restrictive regimes prevent unvaxed sports participants?

Forum List

Back