Is the naive, militarily challenged, foreign policy neophyte, Trump starting a war with Iran?

Sandy Shanks

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2018
It would appear so, although he says he doesn't want a war with Iran. Unfortunately, Americans have learned not to trust anything he says. After all, this is the man who recently said, “No, it’s not what I meant. It’s what I said."

Moreover, actions speak louder than words, and Trump is doing all he can to provoke Iran. After unwisely withdrawing from the nuclear deal with Tehran struck by the Obama administration, which permanently barred Iran from making a nuclear weapon, Trump ratcheted up the sanctions. In April, he moved to shut down Iran’s remaining oil exports.

The only peaceful resolution from this economic vise offered by Trump was a dozen U.S. dictates that would completely reverse Iranian foreign policy and suggested regime change. Combative Secretary of State Mike Pompeo laid out the demands himself, and Pompeo speculated, “what can change is, the people can change the government.”

So, it is quite clear Trump is trying to back Iran up against a wall. If that is Trump's intention, a major flare-up between Washington and Tehran could lead to one of the nastiest, bloodiest conflicts in modern history.

Trump does not have any alternative to the JCPOA -- the nuclear deal he trashed -- other than harsh language, increased sanctions, and threats. Also, Iran, should they choose, could duplicate what Trump did, leave the JCPOA and resume her nuclear research.

Consequently, Thursday produced the entirely predictable images of oil tankers burning near the Strait of Hormuz — and the very real danger of escalation toward armed conflict.

Thank you, Mr. President.

Of course,Trump blames Iran for the attacks, which U.S. officials say involved attaching underwater mines to the ships.

Iran may well be behind the attacks, but there are questions.

First and foremost, why in the world would Iran risk a war with the lone superpower on the planet? There is nothing to suggest that the mullahs are suicidal, and there are serious doubts they want Tehran turned into a parking lot.

The Japanese owner of one of the oil tankers attacked disputes what the Trump administration is saying, and it is awfully convenient the attack occurred while Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was visiting Iran. A bit too convenient, I am not a fan of coincidences.

“We received reports that something flew towards the ship,” Yutaka Katada, president of Kokuka Sangyo, said Friday. “I do not think there was a time bomb or an object attached to the side of the ship.” Katada pointed out that the projectile was above the waterline. Why in the world would anyone plant a mine above the waterline?

On Thursday, Americans learned about a report from U.S. officials that said that an un-exploded mine was attached to one of the ships. On Friday, the U.S. military released video appearing to show an Iranian craft removing an un-exploded mine from one of the vessels. The object was above the waterline.

How did the U.S. military get their hands on that video? Who shot the video? Who caught the IRGC red-handed?

The Lincoln CBG (Carrier Battle Group), of which the guided missile destroyer Bainbridge is a part, was in the area. All 21 crew members of the Kokuka Courageous were rescued by the Bainbridge.

Question, an American CBG controls the seas surrounding its position. How did an Iranian boat move in and remove this mine?

Iran may be responsible. However, questions abound.

It would appear so, although he says he doesn't want a war with Iran. Unfortunately, Americans have learned not to trust anything he says. After all, this is the man who recently said, “No, it’s not what I meant. It’s what I said."

Moreover, actions speak louder than words, and Trump is doing all he can to provoke Iran. After unwisely withdrawing from the nuclear deal with Tehran struck by the Obama administration, which permanently barred Iran from making a nuclear weapon, Trump ratcheted up the sanctions. In April, he moved to shut down Iran’s remaining oil exports.

The only peaceful resolution from this economic vise offered by Trump was a dozen U.S. dictates that would completely reverse Iranian foreign policy and suggested regime change. Combative Secretary of State Mike Pompeo laid out the demands himself, and Pompeo speculated, “what can change is, the people can change the government.”

So, it is quite clear Trump is trying to back Iran up against a wall. If that is Trump's intention, a major flare-up between Washington and Tehran could lead to one of the nastiest, bloodiest conflicts in modern history.

Trump does not have any alternative to the JCPOA -- the nuclear deal he trashed -- other than harsh language, increased sanctions, and threats. Also, Iran, should they choose, could duplicate what Trump did, leave the JCPOA and resume her nuclear research.

Consequently, Thursday produced the entirely predictable images of oil tankers burning near the Strait of Hormuz — and the very real danger of escalation toward armed conflict.

Of course,Trump blames Iran for the attacks, which U.S. officials say involved attaching underwater mines to the ships.

First and foremost, why in the world would Iran risk a war with the lone superpower on the planet? There is nothing to suggest that the mullahs are suicidal, and there are serious doubts they want Tehran turned into a parking lot.

The Japanese owner of one of the oil tankers attacked disputes what the Trump administration is saying, and it is awfully convenient the attack occurred while Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was visiting Iran. A bit too convenient, I am not a fan of coincidences.

“We received reports that something flew towards the ship,” Yutaka Katada, president of Kokuka Sangyo, said Friday. “I do not think there was a time bomb or an object attached to the side of the ship.” Katada pointed out that the projectile was above the waterline. Why in the world would anyone plant a mine above the waterline?

On Thursday, Americans learned about a report from U.S. officials that said that an un-exploded mine was attached to one of the ships. On Friday, the U.S. military released video appearing to show an Iranian craft removing an un-exploded mine from one of the vessels. The object was above the waterline.

How did the U.S. military get their hands on that video? Who shot the video? Who caught the IRGC red-handed?

The Lincoln CBG (Carrier Battle Group), of which the guided missile destroyer Bainbridge is a part, was in the area. All 21 crew members of the Kokuka Courageous were rescued by the Bainbridge.

Question, an American CBG controls the seas surrounding its position. How did an Iranian boat move in and remove this mine?

As a community organizer once said: elections have consequences.

It is more likely that the democrats have reached out to Iran and told them to start trouble in the Gulf....that if Trump loses, they will help Iran with more cash and removing sanctions.

Obama would have already grabbed his ankles and offered himself to the mullahs.

Seems the Japanese tanker that hit was telling people that it didn't happen the way the Trump admin claims it did...

Agree. It looks like an inept attempts at a false flag attack.

We don’t need a war, we’ll just bomb the shit out of them

The thing that makes Trump look bad is the Japanese said they were going to continue to buy Iranian oil to Trump when the subject came up on a recent visit.

Starting a war with any country not in the deep arctic would not be a good move what with our having an army of snowflakes. World War II fought with today's "youth" would have ended in under one hour. Guess who would capitulate?

War Iran could end up like another Vietnam war.
I believe our technology/weaponry has vastly improved since Nam. Not a lot of dense forest over there either. Not sure what you're talking about.

Iran isn't Syria. It appears you Warhawks think it will be a walk in the park. It won't be. There is going to be a lot of dying on both sides even if it's done just by air alone.

Forum List

Back