Is Spector Backing Off Immigration 'Reform'?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links at site:

http://www.slate.com/id/2144571/&#specter
By Mickey Kaus
Updated Tuesday, June 27, 2006, at 6:11 PM ET

Who said that when it comes to immigration reform it's the 'Senate bill or nothing'?* It sure looks like Senate conference leader Arlen Specter is moving rapidly, if not desperately, in the House's 'enforcement-only' direction. Specter's now willing to accept making the Senate's guest worker and legalization programs "contingent on having a secure border," reports the Washington Times. Specter also said

"I don't think the Senate will pass a bill that's limited to [enforcement]."​

No fair issuing sweeping categorical prohibitions! Throw the steering wheel out the window! [You mean that's a suprisingly weak formulation?--ed Yes. He doesn't "think." This is the pre-conference bluster period, remember. House members may think he might think different in a few months!]. ... P.S.: More Specter

"It may be down the line that we will
come to some terms on a timetable, with border security first and employment verification first."​

How about this face-saving timetable: Border security, first, employment verification first--and Congress promises that in a few years it will debate a legalization bill? Throw the man a lifeline! ...

If he and the rest of the Republican Senate weak sisters know what's good for them, they'll grab that lifeline while the grabbing's good. This issue ain't going away.

musicman said:
If he and the rest of the Republican Senate weak sisters know what's good for them, they'll grab that lifeline while the grabbing's good. This issue ain't going away.

I agree and it looks like he for one is beginning to grab! :teeth:

Kathianne said:
I agree and it looks like he for one is beginning to grab! :teeth:

That good old self-preservation instinct can be an absolute INSPIRATION at times, can't it?:)

Forum List

Back