Is Purging Voter Rolls "Cheating?"

Massachusetts did the postcard thing, when I lived there....provisional ballots given to those knocked off...
but it is so focused in knocking off citizens from the voter rolls that rent, and change apartments each year when the lease is up, instead of dead voters as planned.
The state has to put some verification "hurdles" for the voter to jump over otherwise how can the state verify that the person voting is actually who they say they are. If you arent willing to register to vote, a month before the election, maintain your address with the election board, and take a hour or so to go down to the poll and vote how interested in voting are you really? We are talking about 2 hours' time every 2 years. The same people who will bitch that they don't have that kind of time spend more than that on Tik Tok or Instagram every day. IMO more people voting isnt a good thing in and of itself. Unless the person voting is informed about who/what they are actually voting for I dont know that it's necessarily a good thing that they are voting.

Why not just remove dead voters, when they gosh darn die?

And why can't citizens vote near their work or anywhere in the state that they are at on election day? We are in the 21st century?

Some type of voter ID system would have to be in place for that to work.

That said it takes some states 10+ days to count the fucking votes and you think they will be able to handle people just voting where the fuck ever? You have more confidence in that system than I do.

The state has to put some verification "hurdles" for the voter to jump over otherwise how can the state verify that the person voting is actually who they say they are. If you arent willing to register to vote, a month before the election, maintain your address with the election board, and take a hour or so to go down to the poll and vote how interested in voting are you really? We are talking about 2 hours' time every 2 years. The same people who will bitch that they don't have that kind of time spend more than that on Tik Tok or Instagram every day. IMO more people voting isnt a good thing in and of itself. Unless the person voting is informed about who/what they are actually voting for I dont know that it's necessarily a good thing that they are voting.

Some type of voter ID system would have to be in place for that to work.

That said it takes some states 10+ days to count the fucking votes and you think they will be able to handle people just voting where the fuck ever? You have more confidence in that system than I do.
I disagree! The hurdle should NOT be for the citizen voter to jump over in order to get their constitutional right to vote.

The election officials should do the vetting with their govt resources.....

The govt should verify the registrant citizenship thru EVerify, their home address, their age, their deaths, and even their move to another state when the citizen turns in their drivers license to get one in their new state...or whether the citizen is a felon or not,etc.

The govt are the people who should get the registrant information with ALL that they have at their government fingertips and not abridge our right to vote and put a burden, a poll tax so to say, on us.I

Every state has their own rules, but those rules should not burden the citizen voter.

In my state, every citizen has the right to vote, if over 18. because it is a Constitutional right and also a Maine state constitutional right.

Those in jail and prison have a right to vote in Maine and you can register to vote the same day you vote... though it is a provisional ballot that gets vetting before counting...and anyone registered to vote, can request an absentee ballot and family can drop it off.

Maine takes democracy, pretty seriously, and the only way to have a democracy within the state is for the citizens to pick their own representation and leaders.

Granted we only have a little more than a million people in the whole state, so their measures are easy to handle compared to a larger populated state.

Also, it's the 21st century for goodness sake, the computer age, citizens should have the ease of voting anywhere, and not be restricted to just their specific prescint!

Some type of voter ID system would have to be in place for that to work
once we register and are thoroughly vetted, we should be issued a voter registration card with some sort of metrics identifying us, and our precinct...so when we vote, with our voter card, at any location, it can bring up the voting ballot for our town or congressional voting district... Imho!

if we are going to do an overhaul of our voting system, then bring us in to the future!

once we register and are thoroughly vetted, we should be issued a voter registration card with some sort of metrics identifying us, and our precinct...so when we vote, with our voter card, at any location, it can bring up the voting ballot for our town or congressional voting district... Imho!

if we are going to do an overhaul of our voting system, then bring us in to the future!
Right, some sort of voter ID. If that's a registration card with a photo on it, ok. Where I live you show them your DL and they look you up. Either way the person at the poll can verify that I am who I say I am.

The only issue with letting people just vote wherever they want would be that individual polling stations would have no way to know how they need to be staffed and or supplied. I can see how that could quickly become a huge problem. The way it's set up now a polling station knows the max number of people who could possibly show up and can prepare for that. What if there were just voting long weekends. Open the polls on a Thursday or Friday and have voting until Sunday evening. I cant imagine that a significant number of people who wanted to vote wouldn't be able to carve out an hour over 4 days to do so, in person at their polling station.

The only issue with letting people just vote wherever they want would be that individual polling stations would have no way to know how they need to be staffed and or supplied.
Yes, good point...but would it really be crowds away from their home district all showing up, at another specific one? I think it would be spread out, unless in a concentrated area of businesses and workers were n a downtown area which could be anticipated....

And after a year or two of actual statistics and potential miscalculations, they could project more accurately.

I disagree! The hurdle should NOT be for the citizen voter to jump over in order to get their constitutional right to vote.
How can the Government register a voter without the voter's participation? Should the Government be required to track down these individuals, go to their house, track down and provide some form of identification for the voter, fill out the paperwork, then process it as well? Or does the person who wants to vote have some responsibility in this process?
The election officials should do the vetting with their govt resources.....
They do and are but the voter has a part to play as well. I cant just show up to the registration place and stand there hoping some government official is going to get me registered without me doing anything.
The govt should verify the registrant citizenship thru EVerify, their home address, their age, their deaths, and even their move to another state when the citizen turns in their drivers license to get one in their new state...or whether the citizen is a felon or not,etc.

Again, voting is a right but it's also a responsibility. Why shouldn't a voter have some part in making sure their shit is squared away with the government if they want to participate in the voting process? If you move it's your responsibility to get a new driver's license, change your address with the post office, and if you want to vote get registered with the new polling station.

The govt are the people who should get the registrant information with ALL that they have at their government fingertips and not abridge our right to vote and put a burden, a poll tax so to say, on us.I

If filling out a one-page document is too much for you to get registered to vote then you dont really want to vote.

Every state has their own rules, but those rules should not burden the citizen voter.

Again, if filling out a singe page document and showing your driver's license to verify your identity is too much of a burden then I question your desire to vote.

In my state, every citizen has the right to vote, if over 18. because it is a Constitutional right and also a Maine state constitutional right.
Wow do you think it's different outside of Maine? Cuz it isnt .
Those in jail and prison have a right to vote in Maine and you can register to vote the same day you vote... though it is a provisional ballot that gets vetting before counting...and anyone registered to vote, can request an absentee ballot and family can drop it off.
Felons should 100% forfeit their right to vote while in jail or on parole. Once their sentence is complete I'm fine with them voting again.
Maine takes democracy, pretty seriously, and the only way to have a democracy within the state is for the citizens to pick their own representation and leaders.
You dont have a democracy in Maine. So, if they are "taking it seriously" they are wasting their time.
Granted we only have a little more than a million people in the whole state, so their measures are easy to handle compared to a larger populated state.

Also, it's the 21st century for goodness sake, the computer age, citizens should have the ease of voting anywhere, and not be restricted to just their specific prescint!

Yes, good point...but would it really be crowds away from their home district all showing up, at another specific one? I think it would be spread out, unless in a concentrated area of businesses and workers were n a downtown area which could be anticipated....

And after a year or two of actual statistics and potential miscalculations, they could project more accurately.
No idea, but polling stations cant predict what will happen from one election to another if everyone can just vote wherever. If a polling station is crowded one election cycle because there is a mill or large distribution center or whatever near it people who were inconvenienced the last time might very possibly go to the next closest polling station.

No idea, but polling stations cant predict what will happen from one election to another if everyone can just vote wherever. If a polling station is crowded one election cycle because there is a mill or large distribution center or whatever near it people who were inconvenienced the last time might very possibly go to the next closest polling station.
There are ways to figure it out.... It isn't an impossible or insurmountable task. People, statisticians with city planners employ people with expertise in this field.

We CAN accomplish most anything, contrary to what people may believe, we are pretty smart people!

There are ways to figure it out.... It isn't an impossible or insurmountable task. People, statisticians with city planners employ people with expertise in this field.

We CAN accomplish most anything, contrary to what people may believe, we are pretty smart people!

You have far too much confidence in Government. Again, there are states that take 10+ days to count votes. Im relatively certain given 10 days and a staff of 50 people I could count all the votes cast in Az in 2022. And Im not sure how you think anyone is going to figure that out barring calling every voter prior to election day and asking them where they plan to vote.

You have far too much confidence in Government. Again, there are states that take 10+ days to count votes. Im relatively certain given 10 days and a staff of 50 people I could count all the votes cast in Az in 2022. And Im not sure how you think anyone is going to figure that out barring calling every voter prior to election day and asking them where they plan to vote.
you only think you can do that because you do not know all that it entails and how time consuming verifying absentee ballots can be, and all before the separation process of ballot from envelope, which also takes time....

I think they are moving as fast as they can....The way they have the process setup, where there are central locations set up to do that, which does the counting and the envelope security checks for the whole city/county with all of their precincts brought to one location....

this supposedly saves time and money having a central location, but I could give a respectable argument, that it doesnt!

Basically, I do agree with you, that there HAS TO BE A BETTER AND FASTER WAY TO DO THIS!

But I do not agree that the time it does take, is nefarious, in any way! (If that is what you are surmising?)

Forum List

Back