CDZ Is preventing one Corona death worth 1,000 people losing their jobs?

You first. My husband and I both have compromised immune systems. No way are we going back out into virus land until there is way more containment and control.

This is exactly why you and your husband should practice extreme quarantine measures. But why should everybody else be quarantined and the economy shut down?
Oh we have been practicing quarantine since early February, more out of seasonal flu concerns than COVID. It certainly became more extreme when we saw what was happening in Italy.

But it's not only about my husband and myself. Our daughter is a front line healthcare worker. Why should any healthcare worker's life be put at risk, before therapies and vaccines are developed, because some fool thinks a $ is worth more than their lives?

No. I'll never accept that as a rational position. Economies can recover. Dead people can't.
Collapsed economies historically result in massive crime, wars, and famines which also means lots of death.

Read a history book sometime.

Yes....the Great Depression helped hitler come to power........
Our economy is collapsed right now. I don't see massive crime, war, or famine breaking out. It's two months. Most of us will handle it just fine.

It's the best economy in the history of the world. Right?Ba
If you think this is a collapsed economy, you really need to crack a book, as well as get out more.
I suggest you look up a guy who goes by Ferfal and read his accounts of living in Buenos Aires when their economy collapsed back in 2001. You might also want to read up on the famines in the Ukraine and in China after the communists came to power.

There are plenty of people in this country who will riot over shit like a provocative news story, a court decision, or even the outcome of a sporting event, do you really think people won't do so over their kids going hungry?

As far as crime, yes it is going up. I'm watching it happen every night at work.
Back to my original position. I don't give a fuck about the economy right now. Not one single fuck. I care about my child who is a front line healthcare worker. She shouldn't have to take care of jackassholes who think they can bend a virus to their will. Or who think they won't get very sick. Or who think we should all just take our spanking right now and let everyone get sick at once. Or who think we can open our economy when we can't even do proper testing yet.

Btw, it wasn't a virus that caused famine and death in China. It was a corrupt government. It was Chairman Mao and his Cultural Revolution and Great Leap Forward. Do you see that happening here? Will we all be ordered to gather up our kitchen utensils, pots and pans in order to make cheap steel for export?
All governments are corrupt, smart guy. :rolleyes:

And as far as your concerns over your loved one's safety, I currently work 5 nights a week in an ER in downtown Houston so cry me a fucking river why don't you?

I don't believe you're actually all that concerned anyway, I think you are just using that as an excuse to try and tell others what they should be doing, like some fucking busybody.

I have argued that lives are more important than $$$ and that our economy will survive a two month pause of non-essential business. I still believe that.

That you somehow interpret that as me telling anyone what they should, could, will do is odd.

I am extremely concerned about my daughter. I dgaf about you.

Also, I wasn't the one caterwauling about Communists and China. You brought up that nonsense.
Oh bullshit.....

It's not that lives are more important than $, (although many are) it's that crashing an economy and an entire healthcare system in the name of stopping a virus that it's already way too late to stop, is insane. As is turning our society into a police state (as if it wasn't already too close to being one). Do you have any clue how many people will die as a result? How many suicides? How many crime victims? How many people dying because they can no longer afford or access medical services?

And I think you know all this, and I think you're dishonest about your motivations for posting here about this. When I see the sort of emotional blackmail you're attempting here, then I know I'm dealing with a manipulative person trying to advance an agenda, rather than an attempt at honest conversation.
No, I do not know that the economy will collapse. And even if it does I DON'T CARE. That is what you seem to be missing. I don't care if the economy collapses.

I'm worried about my daughter. I'm worried that collapsing our healthcare system is far deadlier than a couple of month shutdown. So fuck the economy.

And cry me a river for people who can no longer afford or access medical services. You do know there are millions of us that have been dealing with that forever. Boo-hoo. Guess you can all feel the pain for awhile. Gee, maybe the government should step in.

I know you don't care, and that's your prerogative; it's stupid, short-sighted, and it's going to bite us all in the ass, but nobody is saying you have to care. But the fact that you don't care, doesn't change the fact that what you want is a really shitty idea and it's going really badly and it's hurting a lot of people probably for years to come. But I'm not saying you have to care about that.... I'm just saying you're thinking like a really stupid and shitty person, that's all.

And who is advocating for the government to step in? Not me..... I think all they should be doing is sitting back and keeping their mouths shut while the grown-ups decide what should and should not be done to address this.
And I think people who want to ignore science and ignore doctors are stupid, short-sighted and their thinking will bite us all in the ass.

We don't even have a functional testing system set up in this country, STILL. So let's ignore the doctors, ignore the science we know about how a virus spreads and all go back to work, infect everyone at the same time, overwhelm our shitty for-profit healthcare system and let people die on the streets. I'm not saying you have to care about that, I'm saying that kind of thinking comes from a really shitty, short-sighted, greedy person.

You mean the doctors who first told us to expect 1-2 million dead Americans...then we shut down the economy? Then, they changed that to 1-200 thousand.......kept the economy shut down....now, they say 60,415..........the same as a flu season without social distancing and without shutting down the economy?

You mean those doctors?

That for profit healthcare system has given us more ICU beds than anyone else in the world........beds that are going unused as the "doctors," were wrong about just about everything they told us about this virus.
Yes, those doctors. The ones hand-picked by Trump to lead us through this crisis. The doctors who told us if we took these precautions, they would work. And guess what, they are working. How about that?

Our shitty for-profit healthcare system where nurses have to wear garbage bags for PPE. The most expensive healthcare system in the world, bless our hearts.

They weren't hand picked by Trump, they were hold overs from the CDC and other agencies.....Fauci has been at the CDC for over 20 years.....

No...they aren't working, they can't account for the reduction from a projected 1-2 million dead Americans to 60,000 dead Americans....less than the 2018 flu season....you don't get less than the flu with social distancing............

We do not social distance with the seasonal flu and we don't shut down the entire economy for the seasonal flu...........this virus is on course to kill fewer people than the seasonal flu......you have no case for what you believe or demand.

You first. My husband and I both have compromised immune systems. No way are we going back out into virus land until there is way more containment and control.

This is exactly why you and your husband should practice extreme quarantine measures. But why should everybody else be quarantined and the economy shut down?
Oh we have been practicing quarantine since early February, more out of seasonal flu concerns than COVID. It certainly became more extreme when we saw what was happening in Italy.

But it's not only about my husband and myself. Our daughter is a front line healthcare worker. Why should any healthcare worker's life be put at risk, before therapies and vaccines are developed, because some fool thinks a $ is worth more than their lives?

No. I'll never accept that as a rational position. Economies can recover. Dead people can't.
Collapsed economies historically result in massive crime, wars, and famines which also means lots of death.

Our economy is collapsed right now. I don't see massive crime, war, or famine breaking out. It's two months. Most of us will handle it just fine.

If you think this is a collapsed economy, you really need to crack a book, as well as get out more.
I suggest you look up a guy who goes by Ferfal and read his accounts of living in Buenos Aires when their economy collapsed back in 2001. You might also want to read up on the famines in the Ukraine and in China after the communists came to power.

There are plenty of people in this country who will riot over shit like a provocative news story, a court decision, or even the outcome of a sporting event, do you really think people won't do so over their kids going hungry?

As far as crime, yes it is going up. I'm watching it happen every night at work.
Back to my original position. I don't give a fuck about the economy right now. Not one single fuck. I care about my child who is a front line healthcare worker. She shouldn't have to take care of jackassholes who think they can bend a virus to their will. Or who think they won't get very sick. Or who think we should all just take our spanking right now and let everyone get sick at once. Or who think we can open our economy when we can't even do proper testing yet.

Btw, it wasn't a virus that caused famine and death in China. It was a corrupt government. It was Chairman Mao and his Cultural Revolution and Great Leap Forward. Do you see that happening here? Will we all be ordered to gather up our kitchen utensils, pots and pans in order to make cheap steel for export?

And as far as your concerns over your loved one's safety, I currently work 5 nights a week in an ER in downtown Houston so cry me a fucking river why don't you?

I don't believe you're actually all that concerned anyway, I think you are just using that as an excuse to try and tell others what they should be doing, like some fucking busybody.

I have argued that lives are more important than $$$ and that our economy will survive a two month pause of non-essential business. I still believe that.

That you somehow interpret that as me telling anyone what they should, could, will do is odd.

Also, I wasn't the one caterwauling about Communists and China. You brought up that nonsense.
Oh bullshit.....

It's not that lives are more important than $, (although many are) it's that crashing an economy and an entire healthcare system in the name of stopping a virus that it's already way too late to stop, is insane. As is turning our society into a police state (as if it wasn't already too close to being one). Do you have any clue how many people will die as a result? How many suicides? How many crime victims? How many people dying because they can no longer afford or access medical services?

And I think you know all this, and I think you're dishonest about your motivations for posting here about this. When I see the sort of emotional blackmail you're attempting here, then I know I'm dealing with a manipulative person trying to advance an agenda, rather than an attempt at honest conversation.
No, I do not know that the economy will collapse. And even if it does I DON'T CARE. That is what you seem to be missing. I don't care if the economy collapses.

I'm worried about my daughter. I'm worried that collapsing our healthcare system is far deadlier than a couple of month shutdown. So fuck the economy.

And cry me a river for people who can no longer afford or access medical services. You do know there are millions of us that have been dealing with that forever. Boo-hoo. Guess you can all feel the pain for awhile. Gee, maybe the government should step in.

I know you don't care, and that's your prerogative; it's stupid, short-sighted, and it's going to bite us all in the ass, but nobody is saying you have to care. But the fact that you don't care, doesn't change the fact that what you want is a really shitty idea and it's going really badly and it's hurting a lot of people probably for years to come. But I'm not saying you have to care about that.... I'm just saying you're thinking like a really stupid and shitty person, that's all.

And who is advocating for the government to step in? Not me..... I think all they should be doing is sitting back and keeping their mouths shut while the grown-ups decide what should and should not be done to address this.
And I think people who want to ignore science and ignore doctors are stupid, short-sighted and their thinking will bite us all in the ass.

We don't even have a functional testing system set up in this country, STILL. So let's ignore the doctors, ignore the science we know about how a virus spreads and all go back to work, infect everyone at the same time, overwhelm our shitty for-profit healthcare system and let people die on the streets. I'm not saying you have to care about that, I'm saying that kind of thinking comes from a really shitty, short-sighted, greedy person.

You mean the doctors who first told us to expect 1-2 million dead Americans...then we shut down the economy? Then, they changed that to 1-200 thousand.......kept the economy shut down....now, they say 60,415..........the same as a flu season without social distancing and without shutting down the economy?

You mean those doctors?

That for profit healthcare system has given us more ICU beds than anyone else in the world........beds that are going unused as the "doctors," were wrong about just about everything they told us about this virus.
Yes, those doctors. The ones hand-picked by Trump to lead us through this crisis. The doctors who told us if we took these precautions, they would work. And guess what, they are working. How about that?

Our shitty for-profit healthcare system where nurses have to wear garbage bags for PPE. The most expensive healthcare system in the world, bless our hearts.

They weren't hand picked by Trump, they were hold overs from the CDC and other agencies.....Fauci has been at the CDC for over 20 years.....

No...they aren't working, they can't account for the reduction from a projected 1-2 million dead Americans to 60,000 dead Americans....less than the 2018 flu season....you don't get less than the flu with social distancing............

We do not social distance with the seasonal flu and we don't shut down the entire economy for the seasonal flu...........this virus is on course to kill fewer people than the seasonal flu......you have no case for what you believe or demand.

Stop. Trump presents Fauci and Birx as his experts at his briefings every day. Why does he do that if they are not his top picks? Why does he not pick someone better? Stupidity? Ineptitude?

They are working. Trumps experts claimed the 1-2 million would be the case if we did nothing. We did not do nothing. But you know that already. I pray to God the measures we've taken will get us down to less than 60,000. We aren't through yet.

This is not the seasonal flu. It's not a conspiracy to oppress you. It's a novel coronavirus. I listen to experts, doctors and scientists. That is the basis for my belief. Anything else is nonsense.

Oh bullshit.....

You mean those doctors?

Stop. Trump presents Fauci and Birx as his experts at his briefings every day. Why does he do that if they are not his top picks? Why does he not pick someone better? Stupidity? Ineptitude?

They are working. Trumps experts claimed the 1-2 million would be the case if we did nothing. We did not do nothing. But you know that already. I pray to God the measures we've taken will get us down to less than 60,000. We aren't through yet.

This is not the seasonal flu. It's not a conspiracy to oppress you. It's a novel coronavirus. I listen to experts, doctors and scientists. That is the basis for my belief. Anything else is nonsense.

Those experts changed the number.....after they managed to get the economy shut down during an election year.......it is now lower than the 2018 flu year, and we didn't shut down the economy for that year.....or socially distance.......

You don't know what you are talking about.

Oh bullshit.....

You mean those doctors?

Those experts changed the number.....after they managed to get the economy shut down during an election year.......it is now lower than the 2018 flu year, and we didn't shut down the economy for that year.....or socially distance.......

Then WHY does Trump keep trotting them out every day? Is he just too ignorant to see that they are part of a conspiracy to take down his presidency?

Put down the tin foil. This is a novel coronavirus. Not a conspiracy.

Oh bullshit.....

You mean those doctors?

Then WHY does Trump keep trotting them out every day? Is he just too ignorant to see that they are part of a conspiracy to take down his presidency?

Wait and see..........he has been told that these people are the best.....and considering he had nothing else to go on....till now.......how was he to know? They were the "experts," and they betrayed him..........

Oh bullshit.....

You mean those doctors?

Wait and see..........he has been told that these people are the best.....and considering he had nothing else to go on....till now.......how was he to know? They were the "experts," and they betrayed him..........
Sure Jan.

The fact is that the Democrats have been wanting to crash the economy as a way of preventing President Trump's reelection. To dispute this is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Of course not
In reality we could stop transmission of all communicable diseases by locking down but that is a draconian sledgehammer to kill flies.
We don’t live like that or did not Choose to until our freedom of choice was removed
Trump does not realize how much he has angered his base by implementing this and failing to relieve us of its burden.
He might have swung 1% of liberals his way but has probably lost 5-10% if those who would have sure fire voted for him in November. Catering to worst case snowflakes chases away far more voters than it draws in.

I say no. One person dying is a singular event. One thousand people losing their jobs has lasting repercussions. What say you?
And please tell everyone how you came up with that ratio? And if your mother was one of the people dying, would you change your mind?
This really isn't a fair question. You can't expect 1000 people to sacrifice their livelihoods for the possibility of saving some random individual. It's just not realistic.
Would they feel differently if it was their loved one? Maybe, but what difference does that make to anyone else?
Your loved ones aren't important to anyone but you, so why do 1000 others have to suffer for them?
Because expecting someone else to sacrifice their loved one so 1,000 random strangers can have a job is perfectly realistic.
It's a hard world; let the weak fall.

Trump does not realize how much he has angered his base by implementing this and failing to relieve us of its burden.
He might have swung 1% of liberals his way but has probably lost 5-10% if those who would have sure fire voted for him in November. Catering to worst case snowflakes chases away far more voters than it draws in.

Without these actions Trump would have been crucified as a murdered, and millions of otherwise "nonpolitical" morons would have swallowed that BS. That being said, we have been living on a credit card for many years. Pumping up the economy with even more money may forestall the crash a little longer, but a massive restructuring of our debt and currency is on the horizon.

Good God, people are dying, call me back when some one close to you dies & then tell me jobs are more important.
Almost everybody that I've truly liked in this world is dead, and most all of them died bloody; the rest of the world didn't stop turning on account of my loss and sorrow, why do you feel it should for you?
You sound like a really great guy!

Good God, people are dying, call me back when some one close to you dies & then tell me jobs are more important.
Almost everybody that I've truly liked in this world is dead, and most all of them died bloody; the rest of the world didn't stop turning on account of my loss and sorrow, why do you feel it should for you?
You sound like a really great guy!
Opinions vary.
I'll bet!

I say no. One person dying is a singular event. One thousand people losing their jobs has lasting repercussions. What say you?
Pretty certain that dying has lasting repercussions.
So you would sacrifice your life to keep 1,000 people employed?

Forum List

Back