CDZ Is preventing one Corona death worth 1,000 people losing their jobs?

Sweden has focused on isolating and treating the sick rather than closing down swathes of society.

Gatherings of more than 50 people have been banned, high schools and universities have moved teaching online and people have been told not to take unnecessary trips, all quite low-key measures in a European context.

The public face of Sweden's pandemic fight, Health Agency Chief Epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, only months ago a little known civil servant but now rivalling the prime minister for publicity, has questioned how effectively lockdowns can be enforced over time.

"It is important to have a policy that can be sustained over a longer period, meaning staying home if you are sick, which is our message," said Tegnell, who has received both threats and fan mail over the country's handling of the crisis.

"Locking people up at home won't work in the longer term," he said. "Sooner or later people are going to go out anyway."

The experiment continues in Sweden..........of EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE DISCUSSING HERE. In a nutshell they think that the young and those that normally beat this thing will get it.......beat it and no longer be able to transmit it..............so a vast portion of the country will become IMMUNE to it.......They quarantine the sick...........advise those with high risk to hide........and let the main HERD LOOSE.......

They are calling it HERD MENTALITY.

It's herd immunity, dumbass! No, you have it all wrong.
Oh well......my point stands.

Easy too say, but what if that one death is you your child your parent, would that change the value?

Easy to say, but I am not talking about suicide, murder or human sacrifice. Just because I am not willing to outlaw automobiles does not mean that I wish the death of anyone. There are risks inherent in any human activity, for which we weigh relative benefits and costs. Why should this not apply to the Corona virus?

I say no. One person dying is a singular event. One thousand people losing their jobs has lasting repercussions. What say you?
So far, we have had had 8,452 Deaths in this country and rising. So you question,Is that worth 8, 452,000+ missing work until they can get this somewhat under control? I say, Hell yes. What is wrong with you?

Wrong....we are talking about a likely 2nd Great Depression....not 452,000 losing their jobs but 10s of millions who can't find jobs for years if not a decade or more.....no jobs, no money, no food, clothing, healthcare, shelter....

You guys don't understand that it isn't lives vs money, it is lives vs. lives....the lives of a bad flu season vs. the lives lost and the lives wrecked because we over reacted to the virus...so the democrat party could beat Trump.....and get everything they have always wanted but couldn't get without destroying the U.S.....

35,000 to 40,000 die each year in auto accidents. So that is in the ballpark of 100 people a day. Its just a SWAG(scientific will ass guess) on my part, but I SWAG that we are probably down below 40 deaths a day due to auto accidents. Is it worth 60 lives a day, almost 22,000 a year to keep our economy shut down? I don't think so.

If we can save 2 million staying shut down till May, I say OK, but we cannot sustain being shut down much longer than that, Creating another great depression will probably also cause millions to live shortened lives.

And that 2 million number....isn't 2 million anymore....the guys who came up with the models walked that number back about 2 weeks ago, walked back the 100-200 thousand number back this week.....and now the number is once again getting walked back......

The democrat party members of the press used the flawed...criminally flawed models to push panic, fear and hysteria.......to crush the economy to get Trump, and to push their left wing agenda......

As some rational people are pointing out.....this will likely be no worse than a bad flu season...........

35,000 to 40,000 die each year in auto accidents. So that is in the ballpark of 100 people a day. Its just a SWAG(scientific will ass guess) on my part, but I SWAG that we are probably down below 40 deaths a day due to auto accidents. Is it worth 60 lives a day, almost 22,000 a year to keep our economy shut down? I don't think so.

If we can save 2 million staying shut down till May, I say OK, but we cannot sustain being shut down much longer than that, Creating another great depression will probably also cause millions to live shortened lives.

And that 2 million number....isn't 2 million anymore....the guys who came up with the models walked that number back about 2 weeks ago, walked back the 100-200 thousand number back this week.....and now the number is once again getting walked back......

The democrat party members of the press used the flawed...criminally flawed models to push panic, fear and hysteria.......to crush the economy to get Trump, and to push their left wing agenda......

As some rational people are pointing out.....this will likely be no worse than a bad flu season...........

It might be two million in New York, but Wyoming has yet to record their first death.

How long will we stay in lockdown is the question? How long can we keep millions at home waiting for a Vaccine? Will the jobs still be there when they say it's over?

The purpose of this shutdown is to buy time for the medical community to get a handle on this, and for supplies to get into production to SUSTAIN a long battle with this virus. Earliest possible Vaccine is in September.........Might get lucky and it gets moved up.. Summer might slow it down and we will watch this virus tear up the populations in the Southern Hemisphere.

This cannot be sustained long enough for a vaccine to end this..............That is NOT POSSIBLE.....unless you want Economically DESTROYED.

We will have to face the constant threat of this virus soon, and open back up. That is the REALITY WE MUST FACE............Sometimes Reality SUCKS.

You first. My husband and I both have compromised immune systems. No way are we going back out into virus land until there is way more containment and control.

Easy too say, but what if that one death is you your child your parent, would that change the value?
Or what if your child was a front line healthcare worker who had to care for the fools who think jobs are more important than life? Would that change anything?

You first. My husband and I both have compromised immune systems. No way are we going back out into virus land until there is way more containment and control.

This is exactly why you and your husband should practice extreme quarantine measures. But why should everybody else be quarantined and the economy shut down?

Or what if your child was a front line healthcare worker who had to care for the fools who think jobs are more important than life? Would that change anything?

Who said jobs are more important than life? We are talking lives vs. lives....do you understand what a Great Depression means for the country and for the world? How many lives will be lost going forward vs. what is now proving likely to be a bad seasonal flu number? And yes....all the models are being pulled back.........look at the news......

Can you see the effects on 10s of millions of people who have no jobs, no money for a decade? Do you understand what that means for people dying from stress, suicide, alcohol and drug abuse?

I have relatives on the front lines of this too........so virtue signaling on your part has no weight.

This is exactly why you and your husband should practice extreme quarantine measures. But why should everybody else be quarantined and the economy shut down?
Oh we have been practicing quarantine since early February, more out of seasonal flu concerns than COVID. It certainly became more extreme when we saw what was happening in Italy.

But it's not only about my husband and myself. Our daughter is a front line healthcare worker. Why should any healthcare worker's life be put at risk, before therapies and vaccines are developed, because some fool thinks a $ is worth more than their lives?

No. I'll never accept that as a rational position. Economies can recover. Dead people can't.

Who said jobs are more important than life? We are talking lives vs. lives....do you understand what a Great Depression means for the country and for the world? How many lives will be lost going forward vs. what is now proving likely to be a bad seasonal flu number? And yes....all the models are being pulled back.........look at the news......

Can you see the effects on 10s of millions of people who have no jobs, no money for a decade? Do you understand what that means for people dying from stress, suicide, alcohol and drug abuse?

I have relatives on the front lines of this too........so virtue signaling on your part has no weight.
So which one of those relatives are you willing to offer up as a sacrifice to the economy?

So which one of those relatives are you willing to offer up as a sacrifice to the economy?

None, which of the millions going forward are you willing to sacrifice ....who will also die because everyone over reacted to a virus that will likely not be worse than the seasonal flu? Which of those people will you kill?

So you are OK with your daughter risking her life for these fools? The circle of your argument keeps getting smaller...

None, which of the millions going forward are you willing to sacrifice ....who will also die because everyone over reacted to a virus that will likely not be worse than the seasonal flu? Which of those people will you kill?
All of them if it saves my child.

Virtue signaling, lmao. There is nothing virtuous here. I dgaf about the economy right now. Not one single fuck. We haven't even reached the worst yet in this country. If some of your free-spending, non-saving relatives, friends, acquaintances, political allies, etc. can't make it for a COUPLE OF DAMN MONTHS then they can go ahead and die. And I guess the Trump economy just wasn't that great after all.

So you are OK with your daughter risking her life for these fools? The circle of your argument keeps getting smaller...
NO. I am not okay at all with it. Certainly I am not okay with INCREASING the number of fools.

Without social distancing and shutting down non-essential businesses for a while, estimates are there are going to be 1.5 million Covid-19 casualties, and that's the low end of estimates.

That would also overwhelm the hospital system, causing an unknown number of additional casualties because proper care for other illnesses can also not be delivered.

Current estimates are, there will be something like 80k casualties, means, about 1.5 million lives not lost.

At a ratio of 1 death to 1000 jobs, that would mean, the U.S. would have to lose 1.5 Billion jobs, according to the OP's ratio. I find that a tad overstated.

All of them if it saves my child.

Virtue signaling, lmao. There is nothing virtuous here. I dgaf about the economy right now. Not one single fuck. We haven't even reached the worst yet in this country. If some of your free-spending, non-saving relatives, friends, acquaintances, political allies, etc. can't make it for a COUPLE OF DAMN MONTHS then they can go ahead and die. And I guess the Trump economy just wasn't that great after all.

Then you are foolish..........when you have no job, no money, no place to live, no food............because of a virus scare that you have a 98% chance of surviving if you get it.........

Yes.......the truth comes out......let others die......crack those eggs to make that omelete............

Trump had nothing to do with this.....this is all on the democrat party and their people at the CDC and NIH...

Without social distancing and shutting down non-essential businesses for a while, estimates are there are going to be 1.5 million Covid-19 casualties, and that's the low end of estimates.

That would also overwhelm the hospital system, causing an unknown number of additional casualties because proper care for other illnesses can also not be delivered.

Current estimates are, there will be something like 80k casualties, means, about 1.5 million lives not lost.

At a ratio of 1 death to 1000 jobs, that would mean, the U.S. would have to lose 1.5 Billion jobs, according to the OP's ratio. I find that a tad overstated.

It was never going to be 1.5 million, it is likely not even going to be any worse than the seasonal flu........

the chance of dying even if you get this virus is 2%....if that........and for that we are destroying the lives of 10s of millions of Americans and the futures of 10s of millions of children today and those not yet born.....for a virus scare pushed by the democrat party.....

Forum List

Back