Is now the time to buy

I am tempted. Stocks I have been tracking for some time are at silly prices. China is saying that the virus has peaked but Europe/US still has a way to go. Food stores look interesting.
I just started buying for my son's IRA which I manage. I'm investing 25% of the cash in the account today and will continue with each major drop in the averages. I want recognize the bottom until it is well past, so I'm going to buy it down. Although stocks are a bargain based on current earnings, those earnings will be going down. The market is down about 8,000 points on the Dow but it could go a lot lower before it bottoms out. Although the market is looking for good news, I just can't see where it can come from right now. It's too early to see any significant improvements in new cases or medical breakthroughs and summer is long way off. Obviously, the market didn't think much of Trump's announcements last night.

Well, here is more bad news. The market is now a Bear Market, and the average Bear Market lasts over 200 days.

I am tempted. Stocks I have been tracking for some time are at silly prices. China is saying that the virus has peaked but Europe/US still has a way to go. Food stores look interesting.
I just started buying for my son's IRA which I manage. I'm investing 25% of the cash in the account today and will continue with each major drop in the averages. I want recognize the bottom until it is well past, so I'm going to buy it down. Although stocks are a bargain based on current earnings, those earnings will be going down. The market is down about 8,000 points on the Dow but it could go a lot lower before it bottoms out. Although the market is looking for good news, I just can't see where it can come from right now. It's too early to see any significant improvements in new cases or medical breakthroughs and summer is long way off. Obviously, the market didn't think much of Trump's announcements last night.
I had a look on the brokers website earlier and it was a bit deflating. However I noticed that they are now offering commission-free regular savings on equities as well as funds. I think that might be the way in at this stage.

Well, here is more bad news. The market is now a Bear Market, and the average Bear Market lasts over 200 days.
Actually that sounds about right. Just about anything we do to contain the virus will hurt the economy. Some medical research looks promising but that stuff takes many months even for a new antiviral. A vaccine which hasn't yet been announced has to go through a lot of testing and trials which probably means we are about 12 months away from the first vaccination after they announce they found one and even longer before we start seeing results. If the virus has to run it's course which mean infecting millions in the US, we are still probably over a year away from that. It just doesn't look good no matter where you look.

Investors that buy now will reap tremendous profits when the market goes of 30K after trump is reelected.

The dominos have not yet begun to fall. Look for companies with heavy debt load to suffer and fail. Disney and 6 Flags are going to be in big trouble. The sports world will be just as bad. We already know about the cruise industry and airlines. The restaurant business is highly vulnerable, having low margins in the first place. Hotels and motels are going to suffer. The convention business that many cities enjoy will evaporate. Business travel will be curtailed. Consumers are going to realize that their retirement saving are devastated, and will cut back on everything, including automobiles. The average credit card debt in America is at an all time high, and these people are about to be laid off. Franchise fast food outlets are going to suffer. Vegas may as well turn off the lights. Oil and gas is already starting to lay people off. Travel spending will all but disappear.

If I were to buy stock, which I am not going to do, I would stick to Amazon.

Now that the market has fallen 20% from it high in February, is this the time to buy? I hear that question often and my answer is, It all depends. How about you, are you buying?

I have an amount I need. I keep that protected.

The rest I can afford to lose (and it isn't much). That I would use in the market.

If things stabalize for a little while, I might consider getting back in.

Now that the market has fallen 20% from it high in February, is this the time to buy? I hear that question often and my answer is, It all depends. How about you, are you buying?

I am buying some for the long haul. I am being somewhat selective in picking companies that I think got unfairly hit that I think will recover value fairly quickly once the dust settles.
I have owed stocks for years, but I moved out of all of them in lieu of mutual funds. Yes, I know you can make more money buying individuals stocks, than mutual funds, although most people don't. After years of owning stocks, I think I know why. People fall in love with their stocks. They read the annual reports and what stock analysis think. They may even buy their products. When they go down, they are loyal to a fault. They stick with the company through thick and thin. Well, that's great if the company they pick can really maintain solid growth for many years, most companies can't. I guess, I'm saying it is just as important to know what and when to sell as it is to know what and when to buy. Successfully investors tend to remain emotionally unattached to their holdings. They analysis the stocks and buy the ones that meat their buy criteria and are just as fast to sell them when they meet their sell criteria. Of course when they sell, they need to keep their money working, so that means another decision of what to buy. If you have a large portfolio it can be a lot of work. Picking mutual funds is relatively easy and you are relieved of the responsibility of knowing what and when to buy and sell. Most of the top investment advisers are more concern with asset allocation than they are the particular funds they buy. Many just invest in index funds, buying and selling only to maintain their their asset allocation formula they use.

My 401K is loaded down with them so it is time I build a separate portfolio independent of them I can sell if need be when needed but have returns better than the nothing of a savings account

I have an amount I need. I keep that protected.

The rest I can afford to lose (and it isn't much). That I would use in the market.

If things stabalize for a little while, I might consider getting back in.
Unfortunately, the market moves so fast, by the time you realize things have stabilized the market can be up several thousand points.

Forum List

Back