Zone1 Is Long-Wave Infra-Red Radiation Capable of Warming Earth's Oceans?

Let's once more go over how reality works. This has all been presented to Billy before. He rejects it out of hand, because it disagrees with his politics.

This is the temperature profile of most spots in the ocean. Note that the vertical scale is sort of logarithmic.

516px-Sstday.png

The bulk of solar energy penetrates deeply and warms the water. Convection causes warmer water to rise, so the ocean temperature gets higher as you get shallower.

However, that trend reverses at the skin layer. The atmosphere is usually colder than the ocean below, so the ocean at the surface loses heat to the cooler atmosphere. That lowers the temperature of the surface.

The amount of heat flowing out the oceans (from both conduction and evaporation) depends on the delta-T across that skin layer. Heat conducts from hot to cold, linearly proportionally to the temperature difference. With more of a temperature gradient, more heat flows out of the oceans. With less of a gradient, less heat flows out.

Enter the additional longwave IR radiation. It heats the skin layer, decreasing the delta-T across the skin layer. That means less heat flows out of the oceans. The IR doesn't heat the deeper ocean directly. It reduces the heat flow out of the deeper ocean, so more heat stays in the deeper ocean, so the IR indirectly warms the deeper ocean.

Let's once more go over how reality works. This has all been presented to Billy before. He rejects it out of hand, because it disagrees with his politics.

This is the temperature profile of most spots in the ocean. Note that the vertical scale is sort of logarithmic.

516px-Sstday.png

The bulk of solar energy penetrates deeply and warms the water. Convection causes warmer water to rise, so the ocean temperature gets higher as you get shallower.

However, that trend reverses at the skin layer. The atmosphere is usually colder than the ocean below, so the ocean at the surface loses heat to the cooler atmosphere. That lowers the temperature of the surface.

The amount of heat flowing out the oceans (from both conduction and evaporation) depends on the delta-T across that skin layer. Heat conducts from hot to cold, linearly proportionally to the temperature difference. With more of a temperature gradient, more heat flows out of the oceans. With less of a gradient, less heat flows out.

Enter the additional longwave IR radiation. It heats the skin layer, decreasing the delta-T across the skin layer. That means less heat flows out of the oceans. The IR doesn't heat the deeper ocean directly. It reduces the heat flow out of the deeper ocean, so more heat stays in the deeper ocean, so the IR indirectly warms the deeper ocean.
LINK for your BS... Nice cut and paste from SKS. WONG 2018 blows this to bits. But thanks for playing.

Billy claims the standard sceince is all wrong, because he says the LWIR instantly boils away the surface of the water, and thus never penetrates into the oceans.

That's a fantasy, one that he hasn't backed up in any way. And it's contradicted by common sense.

Water can evaporate slowly, or it can boil off quickly. To evaporate quickly, it needs to be really hot.

Billy says it's evaporating very quickly. In order for his claim to be true, the skin layer would have to be boiling hot.

Needless to say, it's not. It's at the same temperature as the rest of the surface water. About 0.3C cooler, in fact.

Thus Billy's claim is disproved. Since that's the basis of his whole argument, his whole argument crumbles.

516px-Sstday.png

Your link is missing did your cat eat it?

Billy claims the standard sceince is all wrong, because he says the LWIR instantly boils away the surface of the water, and thus never penetrates into the oceans.

That's a fantasy, one that he hasn't backed up in any way. And it's contradicted by common sense.

Water can evaporate slowly, or it can boil off quickly. To evaporate quickly, it needs to be really hot.

Billy says it's evaporating very quickly. In order for his claim to be true, the skin layer would have to be boiling hot.

Needless to say, it's not. It's at the same temperature as the rest of the surface water. About 0.3C cooler, in fact.

Thus Billy's claim is disproved. Since that's the basis of his whole argument, his whole argument crumbles.

Translation: I have no counterpoint against you..... burp!

Translation: I have no counterpoint against you..... burp!
So, you're actually claiming that the skin of the ocean is constantly boiling away.

And then you wonder why nobody takes you seriously.

But maybe you're right. Maybe all of the physics of the last century is wrong. After all, a pack of political cult cranks says so. You go with that.

(Learn your lesson here. Necroing threads due to some severe butthurt you suffered in other threads, that never turns out well.)

I did some data base comparisons today. The dates of comparison are 2007 and 2012 on June 23 at 1200 hours. This was the closest day to neutral position (*90.43 Deg angle of incidence), clear skies, low humidity of our sun above the equator. This graph shows a 16W/m^2 shift in power from the bands that warm our oceans to depth to a region that they cannot absorb. The shift is readily apparent in this graphing.

solar output shift comparison.jpg

You will note: the red shaded wavelengths are what warm our oceans to depths of 700 meters. The yellow shaded wavelengths go to around 10 meters. Beyond that they impact the evaporation layers.

This was generated from the public access data at; NSRDB

Now compare that to the Ocean Uptake Energy Graph:

1678165074402.png

Last edited:
You can believe NOAA or a guy on the internet named Billy_Bob...

Some of his greatest hit:

You can believe NOAA or a guy on the internet named Billy_Bob...

Some of his greatest hit:

You can laugh all you want. I presented hard facts. Verifiable hard facts. And all you have are personal attacks. Do you really want to continue to show your abject ignorance?

You can laugh all you want. I presented hard facts. Verifiable hard facts. And all you have are personal attacks. Do you really want to continue to show your abject ignorance?
She can't address it which is WHY she offers the useless attacks in return.

Yeah...billy boy....you're smarter than the atmospheric scientists at NOAA.

Sorry but I have to laugh at you harder than normal.

Yeah...billy boy....you're smarter than the atmospheric scientists at NOAA.

Sorry but I have to laugh at you harder than normal.
LOL... You don't have a clue.. I know most of them and consult. I am simply not held to the "approved" narrative and can state the facts. When you actually get some facts to share, come back and share them. Now take your ignorance and go away.

LOL... You don't have a clue.. I know most of them and consult. I am simply not held to the "approved" narrative and can state the facts. When you actually get some facts to share, come back and share them. Now take your ignorance and go away.
Sure you do...that is why you're up at midnight on a message board.

Forum List

Back