Is Led Zeppelin the best ever ???

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I have posted my love for Metallica but it seems LZ is just leaps and bounds above them and anyone else

Has anyone here ever attended a live LZ show in the 70s

I have posted my love for Metallica but it seems LZ is just leaps and bounds above them and anyone else

The Beatles had an average of 4-5 melodies plus at least 1 throwaway hook that could have been it's own melody line in each song.
KISS had an average of 3 melodies with an occasional throwaway hook that could have been it's own melody line in each song.
Led Zeppelin had an average of 2-3 melodies in each song with no throwaway hooks.
Most other bands, including AC/DC either have one or two melody lines in each song with no throwaway hooks.

So yes, Led is up there.

Is Led Zeppelin the best ever ??? I have posted my love for Metallica but it seems LZ is just leaps and bounds above them and anyone else. Has anyone here ever attended a live LZ show in the 70s

You need to hear more bands. LZ is good, but there are better bands by a mile. LZ struck a very great chord with a very wide base of people.

People said in those days there two rock groups : Led Zeppelin and those who try and sound like them. As for me there a few songs I liked but I was never a fan. Radio stations overplayed them was one reason.

I saw them at Madison Square Garden back in 1977. It was one of my first concerts and they set the bar pretty high...

Did you know "Whole Lotta Love" was 'adapted' from a Willie Dixon song called "You Need Love?"
"The Lemon Song" is actually a Howling Wolf tune.
A lot of the music they 'wrote' were 'adapted' from black blues musicians tunes.

People said in those days there two rock groups : Led Zeppelin and those who try and sound like them. As for me there a few songs I liked but I was never a fan. Radio stations overplayed them was one reason.
[/QUOTE]
i never heard anyone say that back then.....

The Beatles had an average of 4-5 melodies plus at least 1 throwaway hook that could have been it's own melody line in each song.
KISS had an average of 3 melodies with an occasional throwaway hook that could have been it's own melody line in each song.
Led Zeppelin had an average of 2-3 melodies in each song with no throwaway hooks.
Most other bands, including AC/DC either have one or two melody lines in each song with no throwaway hooks.

So yes, Led is up there.
What's a throwaway hook?

Way overplayed. I liked LZ, and many people of the time said that most of the rock that followed after them were heavily influenced by them. I'm not so sure I buy that, but it is what it is.

To Me, Pink Floyd will be the GOAT in rock music.

So yes, Led is up there.
What's a throwaway hook?
One of the best example is the very end of Ticket To Ride, "My Baby Don't Care! My Baby Don't Care!"
Paul said they basically took what was going to be part of a new song and tagged it onto Ticket To Ride tp prove they can toss off a Throwaway Hook and still have plenty of material.
Listen to Penny Lane and tell me how many melodies there are.
A lot of the little guitar parts thrown in after a lyric is completed were composed by George as little licks when he couldn't write a full fledged song.

I hit puberty with LZ II, saw them at MSG in 73 and 75 (I think) was at the Song Remains the Same filming.

Their live shows were like an orgy. They loved their fans and gave us EVERYTHING! In return we were they greatest, most grateful fans they ever played for.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back