Is Jerry Seinfeld the luckiest bastard in the entire entertainment industry?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Years ago when watching Seinfeld, like most everyone else, it was obvious that the main character - Jerry Seinfeld, is not that funny.
He couldn't carry a sitcom to save his life. Seinfeld was so good because of Larry David and some really-REALLY- good casting choices.
I learned several years ago that Larry David WAS Seinfeld... Jerry Seinfeld didn't write a single episode on his own. Not one.
David created the show, did the casting and wrote more episodes than anyone else. David would get with Seinfeld after writing an episode, and the two would sometimes collaborate to polish the script.
Most people, not until Curb your Enthusiasm came along - even knew Larry David existed. Which, is how David preferred it. Leaving Seinfeld who had no problem assuming credit for actually doing little more than the other main actors did.
But he and Larry David were good friends for years... and David gave Jerry 15% of the total revenue of the show plus his salary. Making Jerry Seinfeld the highest paid television actor in history.
The dude is almost a $Billionaire.
And he isn't that funny. And didn't do much else other than Seinfeld Show. This man rode the back of Larry David like no one else ever has.
But because of such an agreement at the beginning, Larry David is only worth half of what Jerry is despite he has done a TON of more work on other shows than Seinfeld.

Indeed. No one in the history of entertainment did so little for so much.

Years ago when watching Seinfeld, like most everyone else, it was obvious that the main character - Jerry Seinfeld, is not that funny.
He couldn't carry a sitcom to save his life. Seinfeld was so good because of Larry David and some really-REALLY- good casting choices.
I learned several years ago that Larry David WAS Seinfeld... Jerry Seinfeld didn't write a single episode on his own. Not one.
David created the show, did the casting and wrote more episodes than anyone else. David would get with Seinfeld after writing an episode, and the two would sometimes collaborate to polish the script.
Most people, not until Curb your Enthusiasm came along - even knew Larry David existed. Which, is how David preferred it. Leaving Seinfeld who had no problem assuming credit for actually doing little more than the other main actors did.
But he and Larry David were good friends for years... and David gave Jerry 15% of the total revenue of the show plus his salary. Making Jerry Seinfeld the highest paid television actor in history.
And he isn't that funny. And didn't do much else other than Seinfeld Show. This man rode the back of Larry David like no one else ever has.
But because of such an agreement at the beginning, Larry David is only worth half of what Jerry is despite he has done a TON of more work on other shows than Seinfeld.

In life, sometimes you are the bug, other times you are the windshield.

Many Hollywood actors are lucky, some of them couldn't change a lightbulb nor have the intellectual capacity of a snail. They might look good or caught a break, found a lucky movie that blew up, and a decade later they are worth millions and are still lacking any substance or talent.

Last edited:
Seinfeld did a good job of playing his role on the show Similar to Andy Griffith, he was usually the straight man and the other characters brought the comedy. Yes, I agree, he was very lucky to boot.

Last edited:
In life, sometimes you are the bug, other times you are the windshield.

Many Hollywood actors are lucky, some of them couldn't change a lightbulb or have the intellectual capacity of a snail. They might look good or caught a break, found a lucky movie that blew up, and a decade later they are worth millions and are still lacking any substance or talent.
One more story of injustice of Hollywood--Elvis, John Fogarty, Britney Spears.

And to boot... the guy is pretty much a jerk who loves to brag about who he is.
In a Netflix special, he started off by saying "you all know who I am... I could be anywhere in the world I want beside being here... but I chose to be here with you"...... FFS

A good comparison is Ray Romano.
Like Jerry, the show bears his name.. and like Jerry, the show was created and produced by someone else. As well as almost entirely written by someone other people. (Romano co wrote about 10 episodes in total)
Romano made a helluva lot of money off of the show for sure, they were actually paid close to each other..except Ray didn't get an unprecedented 15% revenue deal so he is only worth 1/4 that of Seinfeld.

^^^ To me, everyone did an excellent job on the Everybody Loves Raymond show, but I have never once watched an episode of Seinfeld.

God bless you and the remaining cast members of both shows always!!!

Holly

Do you think they pulled some random guy off the street for the show?

No. Seinfeld had earned his way by doing standup. Larry David didn't do that.

However, I do think Seinfeld is an asshole. I was watching his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee series one day and he said something incredibly assholish about a fan who had recognized him and had whooped. I stopped watching the show right then and there.

Seinfeld is exactly like the asshole character he played on Seinfeld.

Do you think they pulled some random guy off the street for the show?

No. Seinfeld had earned his way by doing standup. Larry David didn't do that.

However, I do think Seinfeld is an asshole. I was watching his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee series one day and he said something incredibly assholish about a fan who had recognized him and had whooped. I stopped watching the show right then and there.

Seinfeld is exactly like the asshole character he played on Seinfeld.
He is. I have watched a few of those as well, not to see Jerry, but to see the other person.
In those shows, indeed, we get to see who Seinfeld is: An egotistical shallow man. A man who bought his own hype.
On the coffee show he was doing it with Julia Dreyfuss. Towards the end, she happen to see that Seinfeld only gave the waitress I believe it was a $5 tip. You can see she was visibly taken back by it. And told him so. She said (paraphrase) "You are Jerry Seinfeld, you have more money than God and you give a top less than most people do?? What is wrong with you"?
And begrudgingly he gives her $50. He just couldn't get why he would give someone a bigger tip because of his enormous wealth.

He is. I have watched a few of those as well, not to see Jerry, but to see the other person.
In those shows, indeed, we get to see who Seinfeld is: An egotistical shallow man. A man who bought his own hype.
On the coffee show he was doing it with Julia Dreyfuss. Towards the end, she happen to see that Seinfeld only gave the waitress I believe it was a $5 tip. You can see she was visibly taken back by it. And told him so. She said (paraphrase) "You are Jerry Seinfeld, you have more money than God and you give a top less than most people do?? What is wrong with you"?
And begrudgingly he gives her $50. He just couldn't get why he would give someone a bigger tip because of his enormous wealth.
Or perhaps that was simply scripted into the show to maintain the Jerry Seinfeld persona from the Seinfeld show.

Or perhaps that was simply scripted into the show to maintain the Jerry Seinfeld persona from the Seinfeld show.
No. Watch him in his interview with David Letterman.... the guy can't help himself but constantly give himself props and praise.

But besides all of that, he just isn't that funny.
Without Larry David, Seinfeld most likely would have remained in mediocrity. Where he really belongs. Prior to Seinfeld, he was just a so-so stand up guy among dozens just like him when comedy clubs were popular. And look at him since Seinfeld, nothing. He is still only a so-so stand up guy.

Jerry was lucky for another reason.

He got to work with all those gorgeous women who guess stared as his girlfriends.

All you have to do is look at other actors in Seinfeld.

Julia Dreyfus - before Seinfeld: Played roles in a small theater in Chicago, she was noticed and was cast for a several appearances on SNL.
After Seinfeld - 2 Emmys and other numerous awards for her roles in numerous TV series, voice overs and movies.
Jason Alexander - before Seinfeld: Broadway performer, primarily for singing and dancing with some comedy performances.
After Seinfeld - 2 Academy nominations, 2 Emmys and appearances in over 20 films.
Michael Richards - before Seinfeld: Minor roles in a handful of TV series, with his most notable as an appearance with Billy Crystal in a special about Crystal. Larry David met him on the set of "Man on the Moon" where he had a support role, and loved his quirky performance.
After Seinfeld - Early on his outlook looked promising, making several appearances in a variety of TV series and writing gigs. However in 2004 Richards had a career ending infamous racist rant on stage. His career was over.
Jerry Seinfeld - before Seinfeld: Mediocre success as a stand up in Comedy clubs at the time. Despite his desire for acting, he landed only one small role as a delivery boy on "Benson" - but was fired and removed from the set for "creative differences". His break out appearance was with Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show". Carson liked him. And if Johnny Carson liked you, that alone could start your career. And with that he had a 1 hour special on HBO that had unremarkable response and was not invited back.
After Seinfeld - No Awards. No movies. He tried several times to re-ignite his stand up career with some success, but nothing notable. Tried writing two books, based mostly on Seinfeld that were not successful. He made a handful of guest appearances, mostly playing himself, on a variety of TV series and late night TV. None led to anything. Finally he got a deal with Netflix to start the series "Comedians in cars getting Coffee" which was to include 2 hour long stand up specials. Of which one was made "23 hours to Burn" which received mixed reviews and most don't know the special even exist.

No. Watch him in his interview with David Letterman.... the guy can't help himself but constantly give himself props and praise.

But besides all of that, he just isn't that funny.
Without Larry David, Seinfeld most likely would have remained in mediocrity. Where he really belongs. Prior to Seinfeld, he was just a so-so stand up guy among dozens just like him when comedy clubs were popular. And look at him since Seinfeld, nothing. He is still only a so-so stand up guy.
I think I get it now. You really don't like Jerry Seinfeld.

I think I get it now. You really don't like Jerry Seinfeld.
Actually I never thought anything about him for over 20 years until I saw Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO.
We started watching that, and I wondered who is this Larry David? This show is awesome, how is it possible we never heard of him?
So I looked him up and learned he invented, produced, cast and wrote more episodes of Seinfeld than anyone else.
I assumed, like everyone else, Jerry Seinfeld did... after all, it is called "Seinfeld".
Then while reading that I read David was best friends with Jerry and gave him an unprecedented 15% of the take plus a salary much higher than any actor in TV history in a new sitcom. Which is more than a little odd, since Seinfeld was not exactly well known at the time.
Anyway... Seinfeld is one of the richest entertainers in the world. For one show.
In comparison... Tom Hanks is worth HALF as much as Seinfeld. Tom Cruise, one of the most highest grossing actors in history is only worth about 2/3 of Seinfeld.
That is when I thought WTF??? This guy is the luckiest bastard in entertainment history... he didn't create Seinfeld, he didn't produce it, direct it, cast it or even write one single episode himself.. he didn't do anymore than the other three main characters. But because of the unbelievable deal Larry David gave him... that is still the best deal in TV history - he is even wealthier than David himself.

Forum List

Back