Is Italy the best country to go to if you are lonely?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Honestly, no.

I love Italy, and have spent so much time there, it could be my home. But if you don’t have a family in Italy, and if you don’t have a job that really links you into society in a big way, you can be very lonely in Italy.

I have lived in ten countries, and visited 40.

If I had to start from scratch, alone, finding a place where people will be my friends, my choices would be these:

1. Mexico (you won’t be alone in Mexico for long)
  2. Argentina (warm people, and likely to connect deeply once you get past a certain, initial resistance)
  3. Uruguay (naturally at ease with strangers, easy to talk to)
  4. United States (yes, really; they are amazing for that, if you are up to it - it’s a go-go-go culture, but if you also are, it could work)
  5. New Zealand (if you “can do Kiwi”, you will be surprised how quickly you can connect to people there, especially in the northern part)
  6. Israel (just try to be alone in Israel, it’s not going to happen)
  7. Turkey (you won’t have a single, lonely day if you don’t want to, and you’ll enjoy their company)
There’s no Europe mentioned here, is there. Nor Asia. I know. They aren’t like that. Perhaps with the exception of Belgium, Portugal, and Sweden. They get quite chummy, by European standards.

What do you mean by lonely?

Someone to talk to or getting laid?

I went to Rome in 2019 on a solo photo excursion and I loved it.

Rome is pretty much the most crowded place I've ever been, but I also had a rental car so I was able to get out and about and go to Florence, Pompeii, Amalfi, etc.

I was alone, but I was never lonely. There were always people to talk to...

What do you mean by lonely?

Someone to talk to or getting laid?

Over my 20 years in the Navy, I spent a lot of time in the Med, and can tell you that the people who live on the coast (no matter what country) are quite friendly and hospitable if you are willing to try to meet them on their level. Made lots of friends wherever I went, as long as I remembered that I was the foreigner and didn't act like an ugly American.

Getting laid on the other hand is a totally different issue. Most of the people over there are fairly religious, and in order for you to be able to date a woman over there, it takes some time. First, you gotta get to know her well enough for her to be willing to invite you to meet her family, then you have to meet the family (and you have to get them to like you), and then MAYBE you'll be allowed to take her out by herself. It's a process that can take several weeks, and being in the Navy, port visits weren't long enough to allow for that (3 days to a week generally, 2 weeks if the schedule allowed, usually over Christmas holiday.)

But, there have been many times that I met people out in town who were willing to share a meal or have a few drinks at the local bar. Met lots of people, and never was lonely over there.

Over my 20 years in the Navy, I spent a lot of time in the Med, and can tell you that the people who live on the coast (no matter what country) are quite friendly and hospitable if you are willing to try to meet them on their level. Made lots of friends wherever I went, as long as I remembered that I was the foreigner and didn't act like an ugly American.

Amen to that.

When I was in Rome three years ago, I got a bit turned around during a transfer in a metro station (subway) and just wasn't real sure which way to go. A young woman was waiting on the platform and I asked her if she spoke English. She said she did, so I explained my plight to her. She not only told me whee I had to go, she took me there. The metro in Rome can include some significant hiking, and I told her I would be fine on my own, but she insisted, and went waaaay out of her way to make sure I got to where I needed to be.

When she got me to my train she then asked me if I would like to join her and two of her friends that night for, of all things, some square dancing. Apparently, American square dancing has a sort of underground cult following there.

This is Christina, my Roman guardian angel:

IMG_2504.jpg

I declined, but I was a bit taken aback by the genuine friendliness, and I saw it throughout my entire time there...

Spain ( Marbella ) If you want a fling , the Baltic Coast (Kaliningrad ) If you seek marriage

Actually, if you want to just have a fling, the Mallorcan islands (either Palma or Ibiza) during the summertime are great for hook ups. Lots of tourists from all over Europe there on holiday. But, that's only during the tourist season.

Forum List

Back