Is it time to cut the Tea Party loose and welcome back moderates? Reagan would have.

Londoner

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2010
Ronald Reagan had the largest landslide victory in modern political history because he got democrats and centrists to vote for him.

He raised taxes several times.

He saved Social Security.

He reached across the aisle and worked with Tip O'neil.

Reagan met Tip O'neil half way on things that would have made Grover Norquist boil.

The Republican senate and house are not allowed to give Obama anything. They are not allowed to compromise or they will be primaried and replaced.

The Republican senate minority filibustered 248 times, whereas the Democratic minority only filibustered once under Bush and the GOP senate.

The Republicans are at war. They are not allowed to compromise on anything, and they are not allowed to work with the other side.

For all Reagan's rhetorical passion at fighting the Left, he compromised when he needed to and the country liked it.. Reagan would never have let Grover Norquist run his party. Reagan would have put Norquist out of business. Why? Because nobody told Reagan who he can and can't compromise with.

The Republican Party is run by a small group of wealthy people who prey on the stupid. They have driven a great party into obscurity by burning moderates at the stake. They have promoted a revanchist paranoia of Latinos and non-whites, and their rhetoric about "Real-Americans" is straight out of Nazi Germany. They are against science. They are to be pitied.

Dwight Eisenhower would be kicked out of the Republican Party for having Big Government put Americans to work building the Interstate System.

GHW Bush was a great Republican moderate. The Tea Party would have destroyed him.

When Will the GOP learn? If they can't beat a Democrat with this economy, they need to take back their party from the radicals.

What say you?

Last edited:
Norquist blinkin'...
:cool:
Norquist: House GOP Can 'Cut a Deal' With Obama on Taxes -- Just No 'Net Increases'
November 9, 2012 – Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) President Grover Norquist told CNSNews.com that House Republicans can cut a deal with President Obama on tax reform as long as it doesn’t result in a net increase in taxes.
In a recent interview with Norquist, CNSNews.com Editor-In-Chief Terry Jeffrey asked the tax reform advocate whether House Republicans could make a deal with Obama and not violate ATR’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge: “(I)n your view, the Republicans in the House can cut a tax deal with President Obama -- as long as it’s not a net increase in taxes?” Norquist said: “Yes. Absolutely. Tax reform is a good idea, should be done and hopefully Obama won’t get in the way.”

More people working as a result of pro-growth policies, and the federal government taking in more revenue because of economic growth, is not a violation of the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, Norquist says. The Taxpayer Protection Pledge is a promise in writing from candidates to their constituents that says that they pledge to not raise taxes. Candidates on both the federal and state level have taken the Pledge. .

The Pledge specifically obligates the signer to oppose “any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rate for individuals and business” and to “oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollars by further reducing tax rates.”

When asked what would be and what would not be an acceptable change in the federal tax laws, according to the pledge, Norquist explained: “Sure, if you cut the capital gains tax, that would reduce the disincentive to work, saving and investment. You’d have more economic growth. The government would actually get more revenue.” “Cutting the capital gains tax from 15 to 10 percent would get the government more revenue because more people would be working. That’s not a tax increase. That’s a good thing. If you cut marginal tax rates, as Reagan did, and you have more people going to work, therefore paying total higher tax burden in the economy, that’s okay because you didn’t raise taxes. You increased the number of people working,” he continued.

MORE

See also:

Boehner: ‘I Don’t Want to Box Myself In’ On Reducing Deficit
November 9, 2012 -- Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) said he did not “want to box myself in” when talking about lowering the federal budget deficit.
He also repeated a point he has made over the last two days that it is President Barack Obama’s “opportunity to lead.” Speaking at a Capitol Hill press conference on Friday, a reporter asked Boehner, “You outlined your goal of not having tax rates go up as part of this solution to the fiscal issue in your speech the other day, but you didn’t lay out a deficit goal. The president talked about primary balance by 2017. What is the deficit goal that you have in mind as part of these talks?”

Boehner said, “Well, clearly the deficit is a drag on our economy and we can’t continue to spend money that we don’t have.” “I don’t want to box myself in, I don’t want to box anybody else in. I think it’s important for us to come to an agreement with the president, but this is his opportunity to lead,” he said.

The Congressional Budget Office reported on Wednesday that the U.S. government had a deficit of $1.1 trillion in FY 2012, the fourth consecutive year in which the deficit topped $1 trillion. Currently, the U.S. national debt is over $16.2 trillion.

Boehner:

Last edited:
Cut them loose? No one wanted them around in the first place. How about they start their own fucking party instead of piggybacking on someone else's.

Forum List

Back