Is it possible to simplify bills in congress so it's easier to gain bipartisan support and action on specific issues?

The thing that would most inform us about a bill would be an open debate on the floor, that is not being allowed. Everything is being filibustered now.
It would be interesting to see these massive things broken down into smaller, focused components.

I'd guess our "leaders" wouldn't want to be seen going into detail, though.

It seems to me that riders on bills cause issues too often. The devil is always in the details. I understand that sometimes a bill requires many pieces to move, and that it can't always be some small and simple text, but so often it goes way beyond just fleshing out one idea. They constantly try to be sneaky and tack other bullshit on, and both sides are really bad about this. Why does some random piece of legislation that could potentially get bipartisan support have to have some controversial shit about abortion in it? If it's not abortion it'll be some other wedge issue.

Why?

If I wanted a bill to pass I wouldn't include stuff like that. I would focus it as much as possible in an attempt to make it more reasonable and palatable. Are our politicians fucking idiots or is there some kind of conspiracy going on here? It's hard to tell sometimes.
In a word no, not possible. BTW BOTH parties in Congress are responsible for this kind of mess.

Forum List

Back