Is it possible to simplify bills in congress so it's easier to gain bipartisan support and action on specific issues?

most EVERYONE should be for the government spending LESS
....the military contractors don't like that .....and any government WASTEFUL programs

And yet we never vote people in that spend less, from either side.

that's one of the reasons ''invading '' the Capitol is NECESSARY/needed/common sense/etc where as burning /invading PRIVATE businesses is much worse/different

Sorry, but invading the capital when you do not like how people voted is not the answer. Also, invading the capital to install on big spender instead of a different one is not really the answer either.

Sorry, but invading the capital when you do not like how people voted is not the answer. Also, invading the capital to install on big spender instead of a different one is not really the answer either.
read it again --invading the capitol makes MORE sense/etc than invading private businesses

Stuff does get passed though. They're capable of that. I don't believe this is true. I think bipartisan cooperation is so hard because people in congress are negotiating dishonestly and inefficiently.
Gee, ya think?

read it again --invading the capitol makes MORE sense/etc than invading private businesses

I suppose in the abstract it does, but in the reality it did not.

Invading the capital due to being sore losers does not make any more sense than burning down a QuickTrip because of something one police officer did.

Exactly.

We are seeing the very definition if insanity here. People keep voting for the same 2 parties that have fucked everything up because they think the very same 2 parties can unfuck it

Sad truth is, very few people in either party have run for public office with the idea of trying to fix things; most of them have run for power. If you look back even recently and force yourselves to ignore the fact that you may not have approved of their policy stances, you can see how people working outside the box were lambasted, (from both political partys) ridiculed, and denied funds for re-election, if they did not get on board with their respective caucus.

So, to assume that we the people can change it would take a monumental effort on all of our parts, both sides of the aisle, and call me negative, but that is just not going to happen. To many pressing problems where both political entities have no trust in reps from the other side would stop this in its tracks from gelling.

We from both sides have been witness to that you have to be 100% pristine, or these people are going to get you if they do not like that you stand for the people and against them; and trust me, it happens to Republicans AND Democrats. Forget DJT for a moment, just look at the headlines happening just recently and even today. What happens when either party's member(s) decide to try bipartisanship to get a decent deal, or best deal possible for their constituents and/or the country? They go from hero to goat in less than 5 seconds, and BOTH sides want to take them down, even if they belong to them!

In closing, for this to succeed, BOTH sides in a primary, have to make the number 1 issue supporting term limits to get the nod. I could be wrong, but I just do not see that happening. Seriously, which one of you people are going to toss Shumer, Pelosi, Cruz, or Mcarthy because they refuse, or ignore it? See, and there lies the problem.

Yeah, and they spend like half of them begging for money.
Now you are getting it. Our system sucks but it sucks less than the alternative. A single party with an emperor could make everything simple, for them. I don't care to make the job of our representives any simpler.

Our system sucks but it sucks less than the alternative
There isn't just one alternative. There are many different possibilities when it comes to how we can approach these problems. We need to be optimistic and open-minded, not pessimistic defeatists.

No, you said the Republicans haven’t had any successes, either, and I pointed out how that wasn’t true. I couldn’t let something untrue like that go unchallenged.
All of your success points were BS. Those are not/were successes, it's your ideological bias coming through.

It seems to me that riders on bills cause issues too often. The devil is always in the details. I understand that sometimes a bill requires many pieces to move, and that it can't always be some small and simple text, but so often it goes way beyond just fleshing out one idea. They constantly try to be sneaky and tack other bullshit on, and both sides are really bad about this. Why does some random piece of legislation that could potentially get bipartisan support have to have some controversial shit about abortion in it? If it's not abortion it'll be some other wedge issue.

Why?

If I wanted a bill to pass I wouldn't include stuff like that. I would focus it as much as possible in an attempt to make it more reasonable and palatable. Are our politicians fucking idiots or is there some kind of conspiracy going on here? It's hard to tell sometimes.
It is all by design so they can pass overwhelmingly unpopular legislation. Just hide it somewhere hoping no one sees it, or if they do, the media will basically ignore it.

It's like term limits in Congress. About 80% of the population wants that as well, but Congress will never impose it on themselves. The only way to get this done is for states to amend the Constitution for the first time in US history.

But the Founding Fathers seem to have made this process a bit too hard as it is unlikely to ever happen. As a result, America is held hostage by a legislative body that is corrupt beyond measure overseeing a failed system of government that can no longer satisfy the people they purport to represent. We are held hostage by a group that has not had an approval rating above 20% for decades and never will have. This is democracy in the US now.

If you are interested, look up the Article V movement. They are trying to have 2/3 of the states to approve the Constitutional amendment process to help remedy this as about 15 states have joined.. but again, Progressives have a death grip on the corrupt failing system, so this attempt, although worthy, will more than likely fall short.

More than likely they system will just go belly up fiscally or we will have more January 6th events to where the people simply become unmanageable.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are written in such plain and straight forward language.

That was probably the last attempt at government being plain and straight forward.

And in all fairness, things are a lot more complicated than they were 250 years ago.

Here is a link to the Article V movement

Just remember, the states created the Federal government, not the other way round. But now that the Frankenstein has been released on society and the world, can it be restrained?

It seems to me that riders on bills cause issues too often. The devil is always in the details. I understand that sometimes a bill requires many pieces to move, and that it can't always be some small and simple text, but so often it goes way beyond just fleshing out one idea. They constantly try to be sneaky and tack other bullshit on, and both sides are really bad about this. Why does some random piece of legislation that could potentially get bipartisan support have to have some controversial shit about abortion in it? If it's not abortion it'll be some other wedge issue.

Why?

If I wanted a bill to pass I wouldn't include stuff like that. I would focus it as much as possible in an attempt to make it more reasonable and palatable. Are our politicians fucking idiots or is there some kind of conspiracy going on here? It's hard to tell sometimes.

I'm sorry this is too much common sense for DC

Here is a link to the Article V movement

Just remember, the states created the Federal government, not the other way round. But now that the Frankenstein has been released on society and the world, can it be restrained?
Yes it can, and Article V is one way...The other way is bloodshed.

Looking at how the sausage gets made in congress is never pleasant. It can drive some over the edge to glimpse the sheer complexity of bringing even a seemingly simple bill to the floor.

I often imagine that the whole of DC would just break away from the mainland and float off into the Atlantic. Because I hope not to be cruel, we could airlift the cretins food, water and supplies and let them "pretend" they're still in control of anything while we build something better from the ground up

Bye to the lobbyists too

Forum List

Back