Is it okay for an indoor floor fan to get wet?

Hellokitty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
Had a fan that was really dirty and took it apart thinking the electrical stuff would come out, but it didn't so I just clean it getting the electrical stuff wet? When I say cleaned I mean I took it out side and sprayed it with the hose. I'm thinking this was a bad idea. Can someone tell me if the fan will still work after it dries out, or will it be a fire hazard?

Can electric fans get wet?

Yes, but you don't want to get the motor or motor housing wet. Be sure that the fan is turned off and unplugged. ... Also, after spraying the fan parts, let them air dry completely outside or wipe them down thoroughly with a towel before further use.
https://www.prolinerangehoods.com/blog/how-to-clean-a-fan/

How to Clean A Fan in Less Than 10 Minutes! - Proline Range ...

-------------------------------
after it dries, plug it in and see if it works. I found this on the net, not from me so don't blame me!!

Had a fan that was really dirty and took it apart thinking the electrical stuff would come out, but it didn't so I just clean it getting the electrical stuff wet? When I say cleaned I mean I took it out side and sprayed it with the hose. I'm thinking this was a bad idea. Can someone tell me if the fan will still work after it dries out, or will it be a fire hazard?
Plug it in and turn it on while holding onto the motor, if you get electrocuted we'll know it was a bad idea........
NO!! That was a joke!!! Don't do that!

Let it dry for a few days, if you have a hair dryer try blowing it in the motor to help remove any excess water first. It should be fine once it's dried out.

Plug it in and turn it on while holding onto the motor, if you get electrocuted we'll know it was a bad idea........
NO!! That was a joke!!! Don't do that!

Let it dry for a few days, if you have a hair dryer try blowing it in the motor to help remove any excess water first. It should be fine once it's dried out.

Thanks I will try drying it with hair dryer.

Uh...yeah... no.
Having said that, after the motor thoroughly dries it will work fine.
But you definitely reduced it's lifetime. The metal parts it is made from are highly unlikely to be rust proof.
So it is going to rust. Sooner than later.

Forum List

Back