Is it ok for a church to knowingly break one of the 10 Commandments?

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
Mark 10:9-12 NIV - Therefore what God has joined together, - Bible Gateway

Mark 10:9-12
New International Version (NIV)

9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

Exodus 20:14 NIV - You shall not - Bible Gateway

Exodus 20:14

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

The first quote is from Jesus in the New Testament, so there's no getting around it, no gray area, no need for interpretation.

Are you ok with a church performing someone's 2nd+ marriage, that wasn't to his/her original wife/husband?

It is a good question.

I didn't think my mother would approve my husband, since I was his second wife. But she said that since his first essentially set him aside, and he fought it for two years, he was free to remarry.

Just as I assume I would be, as he set me aside.

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

The first quote is from Jesus in the New Testament, so there's no getting around it, no gray area, no need for interpretation.

Are you ok with a church performing someone's 2nd+ marriage, that wasn't to his/her original wife/husband?

No.

It is a good question.

I didn't think my mother would approve my husband, since I was his second wife. But she said that since his first essentially set him aside, and he fought it for two years, he was free to remarry.

My perspective is I think divorce is immoral if you have kids together, but I don't think remarriage is immoral.

It is a good question.

My perspective is I think divorce is immoral if you have kids together, but I don't think remarriage is immoral.

Why do kids make the difference?

I think adultery is the immorality in this picture. I'd really like to know how many marriages end due to an outside relationship.

It is a good question.

I think adultery is the immorality in this picture. I'd really like to know how many marriages end due to an outside relationship.

Yeah for sure, cheating is certainly the worst.

Divorce is wrong with children in my opinion because the parents are selfishly putting their inability to work things out above their children's need to have both parents around full time. If I ever stop loving my future wife and we have kids, it'll be too bad for me and i'll be able to live civilly with her for the kids sake.

It is a good question.

Staying in an abusive marriage when you have kids is immoral. Staying together for the sake of your religion when the marriage is toxic and abusive is religious abuse.

Last edited:
It is a good question.

Staying in an abusive marriage when you have kids is immoral.

True, but that's the exception.

Divorce is wrong with children in my opinion because the parents are selfishly putting their inability to work things out above their children's need to have both parents around full time. If I ever stop loving my future wife and we have kids, it'll be too bad for me and i'll be able to live civilly with her for the kids sake.

The thing of it is - people change over time. And sometimes they change right out of their relationship. Sometimes drugs and/or alcohol are involved, or some other addiction. Or mental illness. There are many good reasons not to stay in a bad marriage.

The thing of it is - people change over time. And sometimes they change right out of their relationship. Sometimes drugs and/or alcohol are involved, or some other addiction. Or mental illness. There are many good reasons not to stay in a bad marriage.

Agree to disagree.

What I've seen is the case in most marriages with kids, is the burden of difficult marriage is shifted from parents to children through divorce.

Firstly NIV is a political correct Edition adopted for Liberals and Homosexuals, if you quote the Holy Bible you must to use only KJV.

Secondly Apostasy is already predicted in the Bible, more as 90 % of all Churches are already dead.

The works of "priests" - homers or pedophiles are therefore unimportant, they have their places in Hell sure.

Agree to disagree.

What I've seen is the case in most marriages with kids, is the burden of difficult marriage is shifted from parents to children through divorce.

Okay. I mean - I used to see things as you do. But the older you get, the more people you talk to (who have worn those shoes - or not) ... I mean, my mother hated my dad right up until the dementia ate away the hate. Living in an armed camp? Oh, THAT was fun to grow up in.

And these days? You don't get a say in the matter. Fine - refuse to sign the divorce papers. The court will grant it, anyway. Ask to go to counseling. Your spouse will likely say no. Too much has happened. There's no going back.

I hate divorce as much as the next person, but if you see your partner in love with someone else, and you still want to hang in there? I dunno. That seems pretty masochistic.

Firstly NIV is a political correct Edition adopted for Liberals and Homosexuals, if you quote the Holy Bible you must to use only KJV.

Secondly Apostasy is already predicted in the Bible, more as 90 % of all Churches are already dead.

The works of "priests" - homers or pedophiles are therefore unimportant, they have their places in Hell sure.

Mark 10:9-12 KJV - What therefore God hath joined together - Bible Gateway

King James Version (KJV)

9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Exodus 20:14 KJV - Thou shalt not - Bible Gateway

King James Version (KJV)

14Thou shalt not commit adultery.

They say the exact same thing, Mr. Nutjob sir.

Agree to disagree.

Okay. I mean - I used to see things as you do. But the older you get, the more people you talk to (who have worn those shoes - or not) ... I mean, my mother hated my dad right up until the dementia ate away the hate. Living in an armed camp? Oh, THAT was fun to grow up in.

And these days? You don't get a say in the matter. Fine - refuse to sign the divorce papers. The court will grant it, anyway. Ask to go to counseling. Your spouse will likely say no. Too much has happened. There's no going back.

I hate divorce as much as the next person, but if you see your partner in love with someone else, and you still want to hang in there? I dunno. That seems pretty masochistic.

To be blunt, my point is too bad. If it's better for your kids to have you both around, you have to put with it.

That's why it's a good thing seeing this current generation not as quick to jump to marriage in their early 20's. So many of the current young generation have grown up in broken homes thanks to the older generation not taking divorce and marriage seriously enough.

Agree to disagree.

To be blunt, my point is too bad. If it's better for your kids to have you both around, you have to put with it.

That's why it's a good thing seeing this current generation not as quick to jump to marriage in their early 20's. So many of the current young generation have grown up in broken homes thanks to the older generation not taking divorce and marriage seriously enough.

It would appear that you're not following. You don't get any say in the matter if the party of the second part wants out. Full stop, period. You don't get to overrule their wishes. They get to overrule yours. If they want out, and they follow through, you ARE having a divorce.

And I strongly disagree. I can't even disagree strongly enough. I need a major disagree icon.

Okay - here's an example. A woman finds out her husband is molesting her daughters, whenever he's not bouncing her off the walls.

You still say tough? She stays?

It would appear that you're not following. You don't get any say in the matter if the party of the second part wants out. Full stop, period. You don't get to overrule their wishes. They get to overrule yours. If they want out, and they follow through, you ARE having a divorce.

And I strongly disagree. I can't even disagree strongly enough. I need a major disagree icon.

Okay - here's an example. A woman finds out her husband is molesting her daughters, whenever he's not bouncing her off the walls.

You still say tough? She stays?

I agree if your spouse wants a divorce, you can't do anything about that.

And I already agreed with Sky when she brought up abuse, that that's a legit reason, but that's the exception to the rule.

So - all those couples are committing adultery? They're all going to hell? Why isn't the church focusing on that? It's a MUCH bigger issue than gays!

Many churches are focusing on deteriorating marriages. That simply doesnt have the same publicity and political impact as the other. So it gets largely ignored by people who want to pretend they are hypocrites for not focusing on what they very much do focus on.

Technically, it's not the church breaking the commandment, but the person getting a second marriage. Some churches will not preform a second marriage without a legal annulment, and some won't do it at all.

New Topics

Forum List

Back