Is it illegal to conduct hunger strike in prison?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
So, is it illegal?

If yes, then on what ground?

Is it cruel and unusual punishment to force feed a hunger striking prisoner?

Is it a human right of a prisoner to starve himself to death if he can't deal with the length of his sentence or its consequences?

And if these are illegal, should they be legalized?

Well, I don't know it is illegal. I suppose it depends on the state it takes place. If an inmate wants to starve to death for whatever reason he/she is protesting, that is entirely up to that person. If the state feels the need to intervene, that is entirely up to that state the person is in prison. JMO

So, is it illegal?

If yes, then on what ground?

Is it cruel and unusual punishment to force feed a hunger striking prisoner?

Is it a human right of a prisoner to starve himself to death if he can't deal with the length of his sentence or its consequences?

And if these are illegal, should they be legalized?

Criminals want to starve themselves to death, so we don't have to pay for them with our tax money anymore? Great.

I'm all for it. Why would that be illegal? Criminals save the tax payers money, should be illegal... why?

You people don't seem to understand that the DOC or BOP are responsible for the health and safety of the entire inmate population. Just because someone made a boo boo and has to do some time doesn't mean they are suddenly treated like animals and nobody is responsible for their well being. Prisons have been sued for inmates dying in their care.

Just because someone is convicted doesn't mean they are even guilty. We have found that at least 1% of inmates incarcerated are innocent. That would mean we have currently locked up over 20,000 people who are as innocent of a crime as you or I. I promise if one of those people who was falsely accused was YOU you wouldn't be talking all "let them die" tough. You'd be crying at the door begging to be let out.

A hunger strike is a suicide attempt.

Suicide IS illegal.

Police (and members of the public) are allowed to use whatever force necessary to prevent suicide.

Suicide IS illegal.

Police (and members of the public) are allowed to use whatever force necessary to prevent suicide.

Hmm, care to quote the statute that makes it illegal?

Suicide IS illegal.

Hmm, care to quote the statute that makes it illegal?

In my state, it's not illegal to commit suicide (how would you prosecute?) but it is a felony to knowingly not prevent a suicide if you have the means. Add to that, if there is a person under state supervision (medical or criminal), it is case law for the care workers to knowingly not prevent a suicide under "duty of care".

Hmmm so prison is really a form of he'll. You can't get out of it even through the chimney. Amazing what we call civilization and progress. Wasn't it more humane 100 years ago when every thief was hanged and then if we found that we hanged the wrong guy then we just apologized? Instead now, we pay hefty taxes for importing he'll. Will the baby boomer generation have to die out before this can get legislatively fixed?

Forum List

Back