Is it ever OK for police to shoot people?

Is it ever OK for police to use deadly force?

• Yes

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AzogtheDefiler

The Pale Orc
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2018
Boston, MA
Right now even lawful shootings are being called racist. Toledo for example? So is it ever OK for police to use deadly force? Honest question.

Right now even lawful shootings are being called racist. Toledo for example? So is it ever OK for police to use deadly force? Honest question.

Yes.

Not if the perpetrator is a minority, otherwise, yes.

You can't kill an unarmed child with his hands up, no matter how much you want to.

If it is ok depends on the situation. The reason. The events.

Let’s take a case here.

Now the bad guy pulled what looked like a gun. I have no heartburn over this shooting. I really don’t. What I would like to see is these events investigated to see if there is anything we can learn to prevent the next one.

Perhaps we can search the guy earlier. In the well lit bathroom. A minute more wouldn’t hurt would it?

I see no reason for charges. None.

The events. The actual events that led to the shooting were IMO justified.

This is not the case for Toledo. Toledo dropped the gun and in compliance with the shouted command was raising empty hands.

Let’s take a case here.

Now the bad guy pulled what looked like a gun. I have no heartburn over this shooting. I really don’t. What I would like to see is these events investigated to see if there is anything we can learn to prevent the next one.

Perhaps we can search the guy earlier. In the well lit bathroom. A minute more wouldn’t hurt would it?

This is not the case for Toledo. Toledo dropped the gun and in compliance with the shouted command was raising empty hands.

How could they tell when it was pitch black outside?

Let’s take a case here.

How could they tell when it was pitch black outside?

When running up on Toledo why did the cop close the distance so much? Why not pause farther back. The suspect had stopped. Seek cover.

The cop had options. He could have ordered Toledo to freeze. He didn’t. He ordered Toledo to show me your hands. The cop gave an order and it was obeyed.

The cop may not have expected compliance. But he must be prepared for it. Now it is likely the cop will be charged. I’d tell you what I think is the real problem. But enough for now.

You can't kill an unarmed child with his hands up, no matter how much you want to.
???? Why are you trying to derail the thread?
I'm not trying to derail the thread. Of course there are times when police have to shoot people. Then, the question becomes when is it OK, and when is it not OK. Why are you afraid to discuss the implications of your OP?

???? Why are you trying to derail the thread?
I'm not trying to derail the thread. Of course there are times when police have to shoot people. Then, the question becomes when is it OK, and when is it not OK. Why are you afraid to discuss the implications of your OP?
You’re making it more than it is. This is not the intent of the OP. Feel free to start your own.

I have always been taught that the circumstances under which deadly force is allowed is universal - for self-defense or defense or another. The excerpt below is specific to Washington State however

Deadly force may only be used in self-defense if a person reasonably believes he or she is threatened with death or great personal injury. A person cannot use deadly force in self-defense unless they have a reasonable and good-faith belief that, from an objective standpoint, deadly force is necessary.
Lawful Use of Firearms in Self-Defense | Washington Gun Law

Thats a dumb question. They woulnt have guns if they were not supposed to shoot people pointing guns at them.

Forum List

Back