Is It Ever Acceptable For a Fan....

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
... to Give Up on Their Team and Root for Another?

I'm having something of an ethical dilemma as I sit here today watching NFL preseason football.

For the past 30+ years, I've been a fan of a particular NFL franchise, even though I don't live in their geographic region. I've lived and died with that team every week, all off-season, every year. Through ups and downs. For the last quarter century it's been far more downs.

As I've followed my team in the last few years, and especially this past year, they've continuously proven themselves unworthy of my continued investment of time and energy .

My wife has been learning the game since we've been together, and has become a fan of our regional team, which has been incredibly successful in recent years. Over the last two years she's repeatedly suggest I abandon my team and become a fan of the regional franchise.

For all that time I've professed a total unwillingness to do so. However, as I continue to watch my team fall apart at the seams yet again (and it's still only preseason) there's a small voice in the back of my head thinking it might just be worth it.

So I ask the sports FANatics here at USMB... Is It ever acceptable to change team allegiances?

I'm not a sports fan but if switching favs increases the betterment of your relationship with your wife shouldn't that trump your loyalty with a team that will never return the favor?

I'm having something of an ethical dilemma as I sit here today watching NFL preseason football.

For the past 30+ years, I've been a fan of a particular NFL franchise, even though I don't live in their geographic region. I've lived and died with that team every week, all off-season, every year. Through ups and downs. For the last quarter century it's been far more downs.

As I've followed my team in the last few years, and especially this past year, they've continuously proven themselves unworthy of my continued investment of time and energy .

My wife has been learning the game since we've been together, and has become a fan of our regional team, which has been incredibly successful in recent years. Over the last two years she's repeatedly suggest I abandon my team and become a fan of the regional franchise.

For all that time I've professed a total unwillingness to do so. However, as I continue to watch my team fall apart at the seams yet again (and it's still only preseason) there's a small voice in the back of my head thinking it might just be worth it.

So I ask the sports FANatics here at USMB... Is It ever acceptable to change team allegiances?

As long as it isn't the Dullass Cowgirls, root for any team you like.

Absolutely. Forget the Browns, join the Steeler Nation.

The last two comments are exactly what I'm talking about, and they're why I didn't indicate the franchise's involved.

The team my wife roots for is one I've despised for years. Not a rival team but one I have truly hated.

Okay. Then after how many years of inco.petence do I get to sue the team owner for failing to provide any sort of results by the Team?

If I'm not allowed to switch allegiances then the team must be expected to provide results, right?

Okay. Then after how many years of inco.petence do I get to sue the team owner for failing to provide any sort of results by the Team?

If I'm not allowed to switch allegiances then the team must be expected to provide results, right?
I'm a lifelong Redskins fan too young to have been part of the good times. I know what it is to suffer. As a fan anways. I hate the owner and everything he's done, but I'm not going to break faith with the team. I'm no bandwagon jumper. If they're garbage then I'll just find something else to do on Sundays.

Absolutely I think it is. I don't want to reward an inept team owner with undying fandom. I mean where else do you do this? Oh that new show on ABC is just AWFUL, but I'm an ABC fan, so I'll keep sitting through it...

It's your life, be a fan for whatever reason you want. My wife has been a Peyton Manning fan since day 1, so Colts and then Broncos have been her teams. If it makes her happy, go for it.

I'm a lifelong Redskins fan too young to have been part of the good times. I know what it is to suffer. As a fan anways. I hate the owner and everything he's done, but I'm not going to break faith with the team. I'm no bandwagon jumper. If they're garbage then I'll just find something else to do on Sundays.

Then you must be fairly young. Find something else to do on Sundays my good man. That team wont be a viable contender again in either of our lifetime.

I think so. I have been a Redskins fan all my life, but no more. I root for my husband's team now

I have a friend who is finally leaving the Islanders and jumping on the Vegas Knights bandwagon. Maybe jumping to an expansion team is better than going to another established franchise.

The last two comments are exactly what I'm talking about, and they're why I didn't indicate the franchise's involved.

The team my wife roots for is one I've despised for years. Not a rival team but one I have truly hated.

Can't switch to a despised team. Well, at least I couldn't.

As a Met fan, the following are no-go's/

Yankees, Nationals, Braves, Cardinals.

I've been a Giants/Mets fan for over fifty years. Been through good times and bad but never considered switching

I used to be a Knicks fan but rather than switching teams......I just lost interest

Well lets say you grew up in LA and were a Rams fan such as myself.The Rams part is true but I did not grow up in LA. If a team goes and gives you the middle finger as the Rams did,do what I did,dump the NFL and switch to college football.

I was a Rams fan again with them back in LA where they belong but now with the Chargers going to LA and the Raiders might move to Vegas,then everybody here should follow my lead say FUCK YOU to the NFL and boycott that corrupt organization. they need to be called the NO FAN LOYALTY LEAGUE

Because of this corruption in the NFL I have decided to turn to UCLA football. I watched the Rams all year long last year but other than the classic california rivalry with the niners that i WILL watch since i was deprived of the last 22 years,i am done with the NFL.fuck the NFL.

I feel very bad for the fans in san diego and the oakland fans.I know firsthand the hurt they are feeling,.i willnot support this corrupt organiazation anymore.i dont understand why anybody here would.this is what the NFL REALLY stands for below.

20914725_1561266923930048_2723810001512172850_n.jpg

Forum List

Back