Is it a real brainwashing?

Menerva Lindsen

Dec 18, 2014
I took part in a debate recently about a religious teaching in schools. One of the things that appeared was the accusation of brainwashing. I took issue with this, because it's just a regular school with a exclusively secular curriculum, only with some added religious disciplines, mostly outside the class room. So the accusation of brainwashing in this context was unfair for me. And I pointed this out. But is there an actual thing called brainwashing? What does the academic literature say? How is the concept defined? Does somebody oppose religious brainwashing in our schools?
4-brainwashing-b.jpg

well the CIA has been known for brainwashing people with mind control so its pretty much the same thing almost. like americans have been PROGRAMMED into believing that there is a difference between the two parties of democrats and republicans when its actually a ONE PARTY SYSTEM of demopublicans and reprocrats so that is a form of brainwashing being conditioned like so many have that their vote counts.

our schools brainwash kids all the time.we both we were brainwashed by our corrupt schools into think Oswald killed JFK for example.they are still brainwashing kids today with that lie and many others about our true American history.

I took part in a debate recently about a religious teaching in schools. One of the things that appeared was the accusation of brainwashing. I took issue with this, because it's just a regular school with a exclusively secular curriculum, only with some added religious disciplines, mostly outside the class room. So the accusation of brainwashing in this context was unfair for me. And I pointed this out. But is there an actual thing called brainwashing? What does the academic literature say? How is the concept defined? Does somebody oppose religious brainwashing in our schools?
4-brainwashing-b.jpg

I don't think it is brainwashing. People who say that don't understand where that term comes from and they should educate themselves.

If we are talking about public schools, then religion has no place in the curriculum at all - except from a purely academic/historical/sociological perspective. This is because we have mandatory schooling, which means the kids there don't have a choice but to attend. It is not the place of the government to indoctrinate anyone into any given religion. If the students want to have a religious club or engage in religious activity on their own that does not interfere with the activities of the school, that is not an issue. Private schools are free to do as they please, for the students there (through their parents) are making the choice to participate.

Mao first put the word "brainwashing" into the popular communist lexicon. During the "Cultural Revolution" he brainwashed millions of communist kids into turning in their parents, sisters, brothers, grandparents and friends for their "counterrevolutionary" attitudes. They were murdered in their tens of millions, often beaten to death by their own children to save the state the price of a bullet. And the left accuses the right of brainwashing? Makes me want to vomit.

There is a difference between brainwashing and indoctrination. Brain washing is an intensive program of separating the subject from the familiar into a high stress situation of sleep deprivation, sensory deprivation/overload, and highly repetitive suggestion. We did it to Al Qaeda prisoners.

Indoctrination is a highly structured program of instruction devoid of alternative views. It is remarkably easy for parents to undermine even the strictest indoctrination, that is why oppressive regimes separate children from family into a militarized program. The Nazi youth are a good example.

The American Secular education system employs neither of these tactics but a private religious education always attempts the second.

There is a difference between brainwashing and indoctrination. Brain washing is an intensive program of separating the subject from the familiar into a high stress situation of sleep deprivation, sensory deprivation/overload, and highly repetitive suggestion. We did it to Al Qaeda prisoners.

Indoctrination is a highly structured program of instruction devoid of alternative views. It is remarkably easy for parents to undermine even the strictest indoctrination, that is why oppressive regimes separate children from family into a militarized program. The Nazi youth are a good example.

The American Secular education system employs neither of these tactics but a private religious education always attempts the second.

I bet you typed all that crap with a straight face, didn't ya? The NEA has been indoctrinating our kids with the progressive ideology for more than 40 years and it's only gotten worse since the invention of the DOE.

I bet you typed all that crap with a straight face, didn't ya? The NEA has been indoctrinating our kids with the progressive ideology for more than 40 years and it's only gotten worse since the invention of the DOE.
Are they sending them away from their parent's influence like those poor kids at Jesus camp? No they are not, every night they go home and have every opportunity to talk about what they have learned that day and every parent has the opportunity to tell them their version, whatever that may be. Do you really think kids in school have zero access to supplementary and contradictory sources of information from parents, teachers, libraries or the internet? They are awash with all sorts of information, not just one official version.

Are they sending them away from their parent's influence like those poor kids at Jesus camp? No they are not, every night they go home and have every opportunity to talk about what they have learned that day and every parent has the opportunity to tell them their version, whatever that may be. Do you really think kids in school have zero access to supplementary and contradictory sources of information from parents, teachers, libraries or the internet? They are awash with all sorts of information, not just one official version.

Your prejudice is apparent in your reply, the kids going to those "Jesus camps" as you call them probably have more opportunity for outside influence than the unmotivated victim class that the left exploits, But let's not let facts get in the way of good propaganda.

4-brainwashing-b.jpg
Brain washing is the end result of propaganda. You believe what is not correct. Religion prohibits a mind from recognizing logical reasoning by virtue of the belief of fairy tales that have no foundation in reality.

Mao first put the word "brainwashing" into the popular communist lexicon. During the "Cultural Revolution" he brainwashed millions of communist kids into turning in their parents, sisters, brothers, grandparents and friends for their "counterrevolutionary" attitudes. They were murdered in their tens of millions, often beaten to death by their own children to save the state the price of a bullet. And the left accuses the right of brainwashing? Makes me want to vomit.

The Nazis, a right wing progressive party of nationalist hatred, had the Hitler Youth informing on the people.

Certain social, political, and religious cults brainwash as a basic entry function into their close circles.

You don't like public schools, then pay for the alternatives because you won't capture our school districts for more than one cycle then you always get booted out.

Your prejudice is apparent in your reply, the kids going to those "Jesus camps" as you call them probably have more opportunity for outside influence than the unmotivated victim class that the left exploits, But let's not let facts get in the way of good propaganda.
Do you know any other groups that regularly take kids away from parents for immersive ideological training? it's really the only case of clear, definition fitting indoctrination I could come up with in America.

Do you know any other groups that regularly take kids away from parents for immersive ideological training? it's really the only case of clear, definition fitting indoctrination I could come up with in America.

Do you know the parents pay to send their children there?

Of course, the mega-churches they belong to run them and persuade them to open that checkbook once again.

Of course, the mega-churches they belong to run them and persuade them to open that checkbook once again.

We get it, you don't like religion. Carry on.

There should be NO federal dept of education.....Public education is a local concern....The states should have control independent of federal interference.
That will never happen because the money from the federal government is too good to pass up

We get it, you don't like religion. Carry on.
You are correct, I do not like scams.

There should be NO federal dept of education.....Public education is a local concern....The states should have control independent of federal interference.
That will never happen because the money from the federal government is too good to pass up

Certain national standards have apply or poverty states like Alabama would gradually cut education from their budgets.

Forum List

Back