Is high speed internet a right?

No, it isn't a right.

Pay who?

You mean pay somebody other than Comcast that furnishes us the capability of using high speed internet?

Last edited:
No, but I do feel it's pathetic that millions of people (and businesses) in rural areas can't get reliable broadband access no matter how much they're willing to pay. Some things should be done not because they are a "right", but because they are the right thing to do. Rural access is one of those things.

No, but I do feel it's pathetic that millions of people (and businesses) in rural areas can't get reliable broadband access no matter how much they're willing to pay. Some things should be done not because they are a "right", but because they are the right thing to do. Rural access is one of those things.

It is available if it doesn't matter how much they are willing to pay.

Broadband through satellite. Although quite expensive from what I've heard.

It is available if it doesn't matter how much they are willing to pay.

Broadband through satellite. Although quite expensive from what I've heard.

Very expensive, and not reliable. Especially in mountainous or wooded areas. It seems to be more sensitive to obstructions than satellite tv.

SFC Ollie said:
Is there a reason rural homes cannot get DSL?

The fiber optic lines that carry DSL service (or cable lines) are both constructed and owned by private companies, who do not consider it profitable to service many rural areas. The population is spread too thin for them to recoup their investment in the short term. This is one of the areas where government can and should be getting involved just as they did for rural electrification. Build the infrastructure, then sell or lease it back to the companies who provide the services. But nothing in my neck of the woods yet. :(

SFC Ollie said:

The fiber optic lines that carry DSL service (or cable lines) are both constructed and owned by private companies, who do not consider it profitable to service many rural areas. The population is spread too thin for them to recoup their investment in the short term. This is one of the areas where government can and should be getting involved just as they did for rural electrification. Build the infrastructure, then sell or lease it back to the companies who provide the services. But nothing in my neck of the woods yet. :(

of course I agree....my area does not have broadband, dsl or cable....yet for decades we have been paying fees that is suppose to supply rural areas with phone, cable etc....? I really didn't mind paying these fees when living in other states when i was able to get cable and dsl, so to help out those poor rural folks that were unable to get it....and here I am, now living in one of those rural areas and the phone company with dsl and the tv cable with broadband service has absolutely NO PLANS to expand in to my area....been nagging them for 4 years now...nothing.

IT STINKS to high heaven.

SFC Ollie said:

of course I agree....my area does not have broadband, dsl or cable....yet for decades we have been paying fees that is suppose to supply rural areas with phone, cable etc....? I really didn't mind paying these fees when living in other states when i was able to get cable and dsl, so to help out those poor rural folks that were unable to get it....and here I am, now living in one of those rural areas and the phone company with dsl and the tv cable with broadband service has absolutely NO PLANS to expand in to my area....been nagging them for 4 years now...nothing.

I've often wondered where those fees go. It sure hasn't been to access. I even live in a town, not out in the sticks! A small town to be sure, but one would think any concentration of people would be worth connecting. The last we heard was by year end....last year. Same thing the year before, and the year before that. So where do those rural access fees go?

High speed internet is a joke.

So is 9-1-1.

911 has saved my life a few times. I don't look at it as a joke.

I wasn't being serious. I was referencing a song.

Public-Enemy-_.jpeg

Should the access to the internet be dependent on your ability to pay?

No it shouldn't.

The Constitution of the welfare/warfare state of 1935.

Article 69 -

Clause 1

Al Gore's Internets

The Taxpayers owe the parasites a living. They are also responsible for keeping them connected to cyberspace.

Last edited:

I've often wondered where those fees go. It sure hasn't been to access. I even live in a town, not out in the sticks! A small town to be sure, but one would think any concentration of people would be worth connecting. The last we heard was by year end....last year. Same thing the year before, and the year before that. So where do those rural access fees go?

my town has a little over 1900 people, so it is not the total boondocks here...though the town limits are spread out over several square miles....

we are paying for verizon wireless $ 60 bucks a freaking month mind you, which is a hit or miss connection here and when it does connect, it is a 500k at best, which aol suped up version on dial up can get you that kind of speed if you got decent phone lines, and of course we DO NOT have decent phone lines here....who knows, could be 50 years old or so... :eek:

Forum List

Back