Is Grover Cleveland the only guy to Lose and then Run again for President?

AFrench2

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
I was just thinking about this...if Trump runs in 2024 is he only the 2nd guy in US history to be a loser and then run again and try again?

I was just thinking about this...if Trump runs in 2024 is he only the 2nd guy in US history to be a loser and then run again and try again?
No, there have been a few. Cleveland is the only one that won a second term, though. Scroll down a bit, you'll find them.

There are those who lost and then ran again and won, Andrew Jackson for example. Can't think of any besides GC that won-lost-ran again. TR won-retired-ran again.

The only person to re-claim the Presidency after losing it, yes. But he's certainly not the only person to run again after losing a previous election for President. I tend to think you meant running after losing the job...not running after losing an election. Biden ran twice before finally winning this time.

Martin Van Buren, Millard Fillmore, Teddy Roosevelt (although I'm not sure he lost--he served 2 terms and later ran for a third) and Herbert Hoover.

Mr. Cleveland was President for one term, then another man became President, and then Mr. Cleveland became President again.

So he is counted as the 22nd and 24th Presidents.

Many (most?) Americans do not realize that although Mr. Biden is the 46th President, only forty-five individuals have been President.

Other candidates have lost and run again.

Thomas Dewey, Adlai Stevenson, William Jennings Bryan and Richard Nixon come to mind. only Nixon actually ever won after losing. There are probably others.

Cleveland is the only one who won, lost and then won again. But he had a leg to stand on because he won the popular vote in 1888, but lost the Electoral College, the last time that happened until 2000.

The Canadian? The guy who lived with another guy in the White House? The guy who had an illegitimate child, that Cleveland?

We need to rephrase. Has any president won a second term after losing his last election by massive election fraud?

NEVER!!
Thread closed

Forum List

Back