Is edTPA standing in the way of getting more teachers into classrooms?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut is the latest state taking a closer look at whether a widely used performance assessment for beginning teachers is standing in the way of getting more educators into the classroom at a time when many districts are experiencing shortages.

Providing funds to help candidates afford the $300 fee for the edTPA is one of several recommendations a legislative working group recommended last month when it issued its final report. The Connecticut State Department of Education should also “monitor the literature regarding the reliability of edTPA,” and teacher preparation programs should educate faculty, teaching candidates and schools on how the exam is scored.

The state began requiring the test for licensure this school year.

I would take issue with Pearson and profit in general here but I don't think think a performance assessment is the problem. I say that because I have not seen or been in a state that hasn't used a performance assessment.

From what I understand in the article, the requirement of the test is to see if the teachers are effective with demonstrating efficacy. I am familiar with a program such as this and think it is a wonderful idea. I believe before they teachers are being examined, they take a course on what exactly is going to be tested and let the teachers have months in the classroom before their own examinations take place.

The testing would most likely evaluating if the teachers are meeting the individual needs of the students, ability to control the classroom while addressing inappropriate behavior and demonstrating their knowledge of the content area.

This is something we need. Pay for it. It will be worthwhile.

I didn't need to take tests for certification. However, I was trained as a Praxis consultant to evaluate first year teachers.

Connecticut is the latest state taking a closer look at whether a widely used performance assessment for beginning teachers is standing in the way of getting more educators into the classroom at a time when many districts are experiencing shortages.

Providing funds to help candidates afford the $300 fee for the edTPA is one of several recommendations a legislative working group recommended last month when it issued its final report. The Connecticut State Department of Education should also “monitor the literature regarding the reliability of edTPA,” and teacher preparation programs should educate faculty, teaching candidates and schools on how the exam is scored.

The state began requiring the test for licensure this school year.

I would take issue with Pearson and profit in general here but I don't think think a performance assessment is the problem. I say that because I have not seen or been in a state that hasn't used a performance assessment.

I....don't even know where to go with this. I really do not.

There is a raging 12-alarm fire here and we're trying to pour an 8 ounce cup of water on it by dickering around with $300 tests. And still people are saying, yes, yes, teachers need all these tests give them the tests.

Americans.

We will be lucky if, in another year, we can get FELONS in the classrooms. Heck. We probably have felons in the classrooms NOW.

Forum List

Back