Is Earth Unique?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
It is undeniable that our planet possesses a set of almost innumerable characteristics which are uniquely suited for life as we know it. However, I am interested in another set of circumstances which, if not unique, are amazingly coincidental: It appears that, in a lunar eclipse, the shadow of the Earth upon the Moon is virtually identical to the visible diameter of the Moon itself. In like manner during a solar eclipse, the Moon's shadow on the Earth is virtually identical to the visible diameter of the Sun. Is this correct and, if so, does it tell us something about the Creation of the Earth?

It is undeniable that our planet possesses a set of almost innumerable characteristics which are uniquely suited for life as we know it. However, I am interested in another set of circumstances which, if not unique, are amazingly coincidental: It appears that, in a lunar eclipse, the shadow of the Earth upon the Moon is virtually identical to the visible diameter of the Moon itself. In like manner during a solar eclipse, the Moon's shadow on the Earth is virtually identical to the visible diameter of the Sun. Is this correct and, if so, does it tell us something about the Creation of the Earth?
Simple answer.

We don't know.

I'm not sure about unique, I'd say earth looks more blue in color to me than unique.

What do shadows have to do with anything?
Despite the Earth, Sun and Moon appearing to be of identical size to ancient astronomers, I have wondered if there was a way for them to deduce the relative sizes of and distances between these bodies. The "shadow" effects of lunar and solar eclipses may have provided a clue, but my basic understanding of geometry is not up to this task. Is yours?

Forum List

Back