Is Christmas a Christian (or Catholic) Holiday?

I find this piece interesting and tellworthy, because nowadays many denie the christian roots of Christmas they just equal it with ancient pagan roots, and consumerism. They want to erase the Christ out of Christmas. Many just say "But Christmas is pagan not Christian."

Read Catholic Roots of Christmas

Catholic Roots of Christmas
December 19, 2020
Christmas honors the pivotal day which altered all of history. Christians around the world celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Christ Jesus. On this day, God Incarnate departed the hidden tabernacle of Mary’s womb into the blissful embrace of His mother’s arms. And she, in turn, presented this unblemished child, this Divine Gift, to all the world that we might adore Him as “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6).

catholicrootsofchristmas.jpg

As with any child’s arrival, there are many preparations to be made before welcoming the new family member; an expecting family gathers bathing items, blankets, and a collection of cozy outfits. Faithful members of the Catholic Christian family prepare for Christ’s coming by observing the season of Advent.

Advent is a time of joyful anticipation in which the faithful prepare their hearts for the most special arrival of the Divine Infant. Formally introduced by the Council of Tours in 567 AD, the Advent season begins four Sundays prior to Christmas Day. This period provides a precursor to the special holy day when the Light of the World shines amidst the darkness, the Sign of Hope dispels all despair.

One Catholic tradition orienting believers toward Christ’s coming is the Nativity Scene. This practice harkens back to Medieval times when in 1223, St. Francis of Assisi directed a live nativity scene as a form of public remembrance honoring Christ’s birth. St. Francis wanted to bring the Gospels to life, assigning parts for Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and others so that in witnessing this reenactment, all people would learn the extraordinary story of God’s love for mankind. Often the nativity creche remains empty until Christmas Eve as a reminder that the faithful eagerly await the Christ child. And when the Divine Infant arrives, how much greater is the joy during the Christmas vigil when Baby Jesus joins the Holy Family and all humanity!

When the faithful prepare their hearts properly, the blessings of Christmas may be appreciated in full. “We Christians are called to safeguard and spread the joy of waiting,” Pope Francis declared in a Vatican address. Additionally, much as the faithful await Christ’s birth in remembrance of the first Christmas, the Catholic liturgical readings point the faithful toward awaiting Christ’s ultimate return upon Judgement Day.

According to Catholic tradition, the rejoicing of Christ’s coming lasts considerably longer than one great day. Rather, it stretches from the Christmas vigil Mass until the Feast of the Epiphany, sometimes called Three Kings’ Day.

Why did the Church choose to celebrate Christ’s birth on December 25? The most direct answer is that according to the Roman calendar, this day marked the winter solstice. Saint Augustine explained the significance of this day in remembering Christ’s coming, writing, “on the day which is the shortest in our earthly reckoning and from which subsequent days begin to increase in length. He, therefore, who bent low and lifted us up chose the shortest day, yet the one whence light begins to increase.”

The most excellent Catholic tradition of celebrating Christmas as a family is attending Holy Mass together. Even young adults who may have strayed from observing other tenets of their Catholic faith will often return to Mass with their families in order to observe the sacred Feast of the Nativity.

Christmas is a rare time when the Mass readings differ according to the order in which the Mass is offered. There are four distinct Christmas Masses. The Vigil Mass is offered at the start of Christmas Eve. The Mass of the angels is a popular celebration, offered at midnight. The Dawn Mass is called the Mass of the Shepherds; it is offered early morning. Finally, on Christmas Day, the priest offers the Mass of the Divine Word.

The Christmas octave is punctuated with a feast that originally honored Christ’s circumcision. In present times, the Catholic Church commemorates the first day of the year as the Feast of Mary, Mother of God. This holy day respects Mary’s unique human privilege of forming Christ physically and spiritually before releasing Him into the world to fulfill His divine salvific work.

The end of the Christmas season points toward this extraordinary mission for which God entered the world. According to Catholic tradition, the Magi, called the Three Kings, spent 12 days following a star. The brilliant star led them to Bethlehem, where Jesus had just been born. The Wise Men—Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar—presented three symbolic gifts to the Holy Family for their newborn son. The kings presented to the Divine Child gold to honor His kingship, frankincense to honor His priesthood, and myrrh to honor His humanity.

Many families around the world present gifts to one another either in celebration of Christmas Day or in commemoration of the Three Kings. The faithful fulfill the Christmas spirit when offering their own hearts to the Divine Messiah who humbled Himself to enter the world as a small child.

Article written by Myriah C. Boudreaux for Christian Catholic Media

Myriah C. Boudreaux graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville with a BA in Psychology. Soon after, she left her native Southern California home to marry a FUS alumnus, start a family, settle in Bayou Country with her Cajun husband, and begin a career homeschooling their ever-growing family. With seven children ranging from ages 21 – 2, her practical understanding of Heavenly Father's patience, love, and mercy is continually expanding.
Jesus Christ wasn't even born in December. He was born in the fall. The Catholic Church simply replaced the Roman celebration of Saturn with Christ when it became the state religion of Rome. 313 A.D. ? thereabouts.

Jesus Christ wasn't even born in December. He was born in the fall. The Catholic Church simply replaced the Roman celebration of Saturn with Christ when it became the state religion of Rome. 313 A.D. ? thereabouts.

17th December

Gosh this is a horrible thread. And on this site, that’s saying a lot! I can’t believe I read the whole thing.

ETA: I meant the replies. Not the question asked in the title.

Last edited:
It's all primitive superstition Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. Protestantism has at least removed much of the hokus-pokus that Catholocism created.

Yeah, I don’t think any biblical scholars believe Jesus was born on December 25. For that and other reasons, I know Christians who don’t celebrate Christmas.

Personally I believe Jesus was conceived on or near December 25. And born in September. There are reasons for that but it would take too long to go into here. Interestingly, that would make His conception when Hanukkah is. And this is just my opinion, but to me that is fitting because Hanukkah is called the “Festival of Lights” and that would be when the Light of the world first came into the world.

It's all primitive superstition Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. Protestantism has at least removed much of the hokus-pokus that Catholocism created.
Since protestants exist witches were burned - specially from protestants (90% women, 10% men). We Catholics burned 50% men and 50% women - and this only in regions where the inquisition had been weak. This had happened in the beginning of our modern times. In this time of history which calls your English culture "the dark age" and what we call "the middle ages" - where nearly whole Europe had been Catholic - the belief in witches had been seen as a superstition; Same what we think today. Now ask yourselve which "hokus-pokus" you on your own believe in - specially when you see how absurde are many things which US-Americans say when they speak about the Christian rebound in god.

Last edited:
Since protestants exist witches were burned - specially from protestants (90% women, 10% men). We Catholics burned 50% men and 50% women - and this only in regions where the inquisition had been weak. This had happened in the beginning of our modern times. In this time of history which calls your English culture "the dark age" and what we call "the middle ages" - where nearly whole Europe had been Catholic - the belief in witches had been seen as a superstition; Same what we think today. Now ask yourselve which "hokus-pokus" you on your own believe in - specially when you see how absurde are many things which US-Americans say when they speak about the Christian rebound in god.
I don't believe in hokus-pokus. Not Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, Judaic, Hindu, Scientology, Hare Krishna, "American rebound", or any other. Superstition is for nincompoops.

I don't believe in hokus-pokus.

Most people know human beings very bad - specially this human being which they call "I".

Not Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, Judaic, Hindu, Scientology, Hare Krishna, "American rebound", or any other. Superstition is for nincompoops.

To believe that scientology has only a little to do with serios religions is for example a wide spread wrong prejudice. Scientology is a criminal organisation - nothing else - "nincompoop".

Last edited:
To believe that scientology has only a little to do with serios religions is for example a wide spread wrong prejudice. Scientology is a criminal organisation - nothing else - "nincompoop".
Scientology is just as ridiculous as Christianity. One believes that a virgin can get pregnant & that three gods are the same as Monotheism, except it isn't, except it is, except it isn't, .... and the other one believes that the god xanu is the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy who brought billions of his people to earth from another planet.

*** HOKUS-POKUS.
*** SUPERSTITION.
*** QUATSCH.

Scientology is just as ridiculous as Christianity.

Not really.

One believes that a virgin can get pregnant & that three gods are the same as Monotheism, except it isn't, except it is, except it isn't, .... and the other one believes that the god xanu is the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy who brought billions of his people to earth from another planet.

*** HOKUS-POKUS.
*** SUPERSTITION.
*** QUATSCH.

You have not many possiblities to think about and in religious categories. You could say the same about mathematics for example only on reason you know nothing about mathematics.

How can you possibly know that with certainty?

I was there like all the people who tell nonsense about history ... oh no sorry: I took a look into a history book. Saturn had been originally celebrated in ancient Rome on the 17th of the 10th month(=December). Later it became more wide ranged and more things were celebrated in this range.

You can't. Youre projecting that you have unique information. You don't. You're just another delusional godbotherer..

Colin norris, you are one of the worst "leere Windbeutel" (a name of a delicious sweet in Germany - verbally: an empty bag of wind) I ever heard. We Germans are by the way not only descendents from Celts and Germanics - we are also descendents from the Romans. History never stopped at any moment of history.

Do you know what's for us the main reason why we celebrate in Germany Christmas at the "holy evening" on the 24th? I always thought because our children are so impatient and were never able to wait. But since I heard that in the world of the Jews the day started once in the evening then indeed had started the 25th of December in the evening. It's perhaps an additional homage on the Jewish roots of Christmas what we are doing.

Last edited:
Scientology is just as ridiculous as Christianity. One believes that a virgin can get pregnant & that three gods are the same as Monotheism, except it isn't, except it is, except it isn't, .... and the other one believes that the god xanu is the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy who brought billions of his people to earth from another planet.

*** HOKUS-POKUS.
*** SUPERSTITION.
*** QUATSCH.

Scientology is a full on cult. You are fleeced into buying their materials and if you don't you don't move up into their circles of whatever. People take out 2nd mortgages on their homes etc. They send their children off to serve as indentured servants for celebrity scientologists, they have to get--oh, audited, they call it. They ask you a bunch of invasive personal questions while you're hooked up to machines. Yeah, not like Christianity at all.

I was there like all the people who tell nonsense about history ... oh no sorry: I took a look into a history book. Saturn had been originally celebrated in ancient Rome on the 17th of the 10th month(=December). Later it became more wide ranged and more things were celebrated in this range.

Colin norris, you are one of the worst "leere Windbeutel" (a name of a delicious sweet in Germany - verbally: an empty bag of wind) I ever heard. We Germans are by the way not only descendents from Celts and Germanics - we are also descendents from the Romans. History never stopped at any moment of history.

Do you know what's for us the main reason why we celebrate in Germany Christmas at the "holy evening" on the 24th? I always thought because our children are so impatient and were never able to wait. But since I heard that in the world of the Jews the day started once in the evening then indeed had started the 25th of December in the evening. It's perhaps an additional homage on the Jewish roots of Christmas what we are doing.

I don't care if you worship a depression in the ground or a malignant tumour but tell me it is God like.

Believe what you want but it's still rubbish.

Forum List

Back