Is Bush Flip-Flopping on Pro-Life Issue?

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
Bush's nominee for FDA Commissioner supports OTC sales of Plan B (RU-486) for women over 18 years of age. Girls under 18 would still need a prescription.
"FDA does not have the enforcement authority to ensure that store clerks are checking age ID for dual status drugs. Given FDA's track record with RU-486, it is difficult to see how they will enforce a strict distribution agreement with Plan B," the FRC stated.

"Recognizing the importance of the health of women and the role the FDA plays in protecting that health, Family Research Council cannot in good conscience support the confirmation of Dr. von Eschenbach as FDA Commissioner," the statement added.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200608/NAT20060802a.html

"What this is going to do, very likely, is give a free pass to older men who want to prey on younger girls for sexual behavior. Plan B, in essence, becomes a free ticket to prey on teenage girls.

"All the guy has to say is, 'I've already been to the pharmacy; I have this drug for you, and all you have to do is take it and you won't get pregnant, and your parents won't have to know.'

"As many as 80 percent of 15- to 17-year-old mothers were impregnated by men who were 18 years of age or older," he said. "That's who's getting girls pregnant. So making Plan B more available really is a prescription for disaster, in that sense, and parents will not know about it."

http://www.family.org/cforum/extras/a0041735.cfm

Bush's nominee for FDA Commissioner supports OTC sales of Plan B (RU-486) for women over 18 years of age. Girls under 18 would still need a prescription.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200608/NAT20060802a.html

According to the article, Bush's nominee supports the "Morning After Pill;" which, is contraceptive, and makes no mention of RU-486 (the Abortion Pill) other than the FDA's doubtful speculation on being able to control the Morning After Pill based on attempted control of RU-486.

Nowhere is it mentioned that Bush's nominee supports RU-486.

According to the article, Bush's nominee supports the "Morning After Pill;" which, is contraceptive, and makes no mention of RU-486 (the Abortion Pill) other than the FDA's doubtful speculation on being able to control the Morning After Pill based on attempted control of RU-486.

Nowhere is it mentioned that Bush's nominee supports RU-486.

Very true, Gunny, and my apologies... RU-486 is mifepristone, Plan B is estrogen & levonorgestrel. However...

Plan B works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Plan B acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It may prevent the union of sperm and egg (fertilization). If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation). If a fertilized egg is implanted prior to taking Plan B, Plan B will not work.

I guess this is what all the upset is about?

Very true, Gunny, and my apologies... RU-486 is mifepristone, Plan B is estrogen & levonorgestrel. However...

I guess this is what all the upset is about?

I suppose it depends on belief. While I am by no means a proponent of abortion, I AM a proponent of birth control as a means of preventing unwanted pregnancy; which, in most cases would alleviate the need of the former.

There are those however who are opposed to ANY form of birth control and expect people in today's society to "just say no to sex" as the only form of preventing unwanted pregnancy.

While I DO consider that anyone not prepared to have a child should consider the possible consequences of their actions if an dwhen engaging in sex, I also see abstinence as the only form of birth control as unrealistic and unrealistic given our over-sexed society.

I have no problem with contraceptive devices as they are preventative, while RU-486 and/or actual abortion are after-the-fact destruction; which I do not agree with outside the realm of medical necessity.

Forum List

Back