Is belief an intentional act?

@everyone here

I guess Max Weber was convinced belief is an intentional act too. Otherwise he had not written this:

Last edited:
save a few, reproductive rights for women your diatribe is the result of christian values including nazi germany derived from their forged christian bible as a primary source of evil on earth. your bible so why are you so unwilling to correct the errors you continue to embrace yourself. broken record.

the other desert religions as the same.

Makes it any sense what you wrote here?

funny

Besides fuck and gay the most misused word in the USA

how you go on about your forged christian bible

"forged" ... strange word too in context of a canon of books.

but are illiterate

"illiterate" ... unbelesen?

when the failings by

"Wenn die dadurch verursachten Mängel"

you abide

die du erträgst

are clarified by recorded history.

von der aufgezeichneten Geschichte berichtigt werden.

in what century has your religion not been at the forefront of persecution and victimization of the innocent ...

In welchem Jahrhundert war deine Religion nicht an erster Front bei der Verfolgung und Opferung Unschuldiger.

Okay I understood what you said. The typcial brainwashed nonsense of the Nazis and the Commies I would say. First of all do you know nothing about me. Second you seem not to have a big idea about the Christian religion and the real history of the last 2000 years.

I guess the big problem which you have is not to see for example Santa Claus, Saint Martin or Saint Francis. You don't know Bernhard from Clairvaux and why Jews often used the name Bernard or Bernhard too. It exist thousands and millions of men like them in history. In most cases no one knows their names any longer. You don't have any idea what it means to lie in the winter on straw and to take care to move as less as possible not to waste energy, because you don't have something to eat. You don't know what it means to see the sun arise after a situation of great danger. You know less than nothing about the giantic civilisatoric work of the men and women of the church, of clerics, nuns, monks and laymen. Sure is in your critics also something true - although I doubt about that you are able to fill your abstracta with real facts. 2000 years are a long time - millions and billions of people are able to make a lot of things wrong too. But firsts of all I would suggest to you to minimize your respectlessness.

Okay I understood what you said. The typcial brainwashed nonsense of the Nazis and the Commies I would say.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
the commies have always been and blessed for all they be in the end. not a christian among them.

I guess the big problem which you have is not to see for example Santa Claus, Saint Martin or Saint Francis. You don't know Bernhard from Clairvaux and why Jews often used the name Bernard or Bernhard too. It exist thousands and millions of men like them in history. In most cases no one knows their names any longer. You don't have any idea what it means to lie in the winter on straw and to take care to move as less as possible not to waste energy, because you don't have something to eat. You don't know what it means to see the sun arise after a situation of great danger. You know less than nothing about the giantic civilisatoric work of the men and women of the church, of clerics, nuns, monks and laymen. Sure is in your critics also something true - although I doubt about that you are able to fill your abstracta with real facts. 2000 years are a long time - millions and billions of people are able to make a lot of things wrong too. But firsts of all I would suggest to you to minimize your respectlessness.

no, the big problem I have is the 4th century christian bible messiah ... the abandonment of the religion of antiquity.

First of all do you know nothing about me.

that did not stop you from "doing the same thing".

but you are a christian so everyone knows who you are, the same from the 4th century to the present day the crucifiers of jesus. only by bringing to justice the forgeries disguised as the christian religion will the events of the 1st century ever prevail.

save a few, reproductive rights for women your diatribe is the result of christian values including nazi germany derived from their forged christian bible as a primary source of evil on earth. your bible so why are you so unwilling to correct the errors you continue to embrace yourself. broken record.

the other desert religions as the same.

funny

Besides fuck and gay the most misused word in the USA

how you go on about your forged christian bible

"forged" ... strange word too in context of a canon of books.

but are illiterate

"illiterate" ... unbelesen?

when the failings by

"Wenn die dadurch verursachten Mängel"

you abide

die du erträgst

are clarified by recorded history.

von der aufgezeichneten Geschichte berichtigt werden.

in what century has your religion not been at the forefront of persecution and victimization of the innocent ...

In welchem Jahrhundert war deine Religion nicht an erster Front bei der Verfolgung und Opferung Unschuldiger.

Okay I understood what you said. The typcial brainwashed nonsense of the Nazis and the Commies I would say. First of all do you know nothing about me. Second you seem not to have a big idea about the Christian religion and the real history of the last 2000 years.

Okay I understood what you said. The typcial brainwashed nonsense of the Nazis and the Commies I would say.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
the commies have always been and blessed for all they be in the end. not a christian among them.

no, the big problem I have is the 4th century christian bible messiah ... the abandonment of the religion of antiquity.

First of all do you know nothing about me.

that did not stop you from "doing the same thing".

but you are a christian so everyone knows who you are, the same from the 4th century to the present day the crucifiers of jesus. only by bringing to justice the forgeries disguised as the christian religion will the events of the 1st century ever prevail.

Why always this totally stupid bullhit? I'm tired to speak against walls. See you in 2095. By the way: I know personally someone, who was a convinced Communist and a convinced Catholic. I know no one, who was a convinced Nazi and a convinced Christian. To be a Christian and to be an Antisemite excludes each other, because such a person is not able to love the Jew Jesus.

Last edited:
And the belief is that prior to trial, he is innocent.
That's not a belief that is a directive. What a juror "believes" is irrelevent or at least it's supposed to be since our laws require that they are to make their determination of guilty or not guilty based solely on the evidence presented at trial - not what they heard on the news, not what they read on Twitter, etc.

The belief in God or a higher power kind of works the same way in my opinion. People can pontificate all they want and tell you what to think but they can't make you believe something that you don't no matter how many religious texts they quote or put in front of you.

Some things just are and when you encounter them it's as if you recognize them immediately as truth and consequently accept whatever it may be.

That is generally not a conscious (intentional) act.

The more intelligent people are, the less they believe in the fairy tales of the bible.

And they more they are raised Hindu, the less they believe in the Bible. Christianity is not the only religious belief and religion is not the only belief structure. In addition, I see no evidence that people are getting more intelligent.
2000 years ago when they wrote the bible they hadn’t even invented bumwad. Now we’re smarter than that.

4500 years ago they were building pyramids and they didn't even have bumwad. I don't think we're smarter.
Putting rocks in a pile. Smarter than you, that’s for sure.

Ahhhh… ad hominem. I had a feeling we were approaching that. As I said, not any smarter.
We've sent people to the fucking moon, and we're not smarter than thousands of years ago when our biggest achievement was the wheel? You must not believe in evolution, would you like me to PROVE it to you?

The more intelligent people are, the less they believe in the fairy tales of the bible.

And they more they are raised Hindu, the less they believe in the Bible. Christianity is not the only religious belief and religion is not the only belief structure. In addition, I see no evidence that people are getting more intelligent.
2000 years ago when they wrote the bible they hadn’t even invented bumwad. Now we’re smarter than that.

4500 years ago they were building pyramids and they didn't even have bumwad. I don't think we're smarter.

You overestimate yourselve.
Says the guy who can't even spell. :lol:

Ahhhh… ad hominem. I had a feeling we were approaching that. As I said, not any smarter.
We've sent people to the fucking moon,

And? Is it made of green cheese?

and we're not smarter than thousands of years ago when our biggest achievement was the wheel?

You do not understand only a little what you say with this sentence. Without wheel no moon.

fuerst-von-hochdorf-grab_3.jpg

You must not believe in evolution,

In opposite of the most nonsense speaker for and against evolution in the English speaking world I know a lot about evolution - including the real scientific theory of evolution - and I know also a lot about evolutionary epistemology. In your English speaking world the most people do not have any idea about what evolution is and what evolution is not.

would you like me to PROVE it to you?

You are a Nazi in my eyes. An evilwilling hateful gnome. You proved this often. Do you think I take anything serios what you say - except you are able to offer me something what's true? But truth could kill your hateful fire and could wake your self-recognition. You would be the first Nazi in my experience, who is able to start to go this arduous journey.

The missing link between anthropoid apes and human beings? The missing link are we!
Konrad Lorenz

Last edited:
diver52,
re: "Is belief an intentional act?"

No, at least that has been my experience. I have never been able to consciously choose any of the beliefs that I have nor has anyone that I have asked ever demonstrated such an ability.

However, some here seem to be saying that it is an intentional act.
So - and this has been touched on by a couple of others - I wonder if anyone here who thinks they can consciously choose to believe things could explain how they do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another? What is it that you do that would allow you to say, "OK, at this moment I don't believe that ‘x’ exists or is true, but I choose to believe that ‘x’ exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that ‘x’ exists or is true?

Maybe something like leprechauns could be used to demonstrate your technique. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, a leprechaun is "a fairy peculiar to Ireland, who appeared in the form of an old man of minute stature, wearing a cocked hat and a leather apron" and who stores away his gold in a pot at the end of a rainbow and If ever captured has to grant three wishes to the person who captures him.

So, assuming that you don’t already have a belief in them, how about right now, while you are reading this, choose to believe - be convinced without a doubt - that they exist. Now that you believe in leprechauns, my question is, how did you do it? How did you make the instantaneous transition from lack of belief to belief?

We've sent people to the fucking moon, and we're not smarter than thousands of years ago when our biggest achievement was the wheel? You must not believe in evolution, would you like me to PROVE it to you?

No. We are not smarter, nor was the wheel a small thing. You think making a flint arrow point doesn't require smarts? Go ahead and try to make one. You stand on the shoulders of a thousand generations who came up with all of the innovations that you take for granted and think you're smarter? Please.

I do note your attempt to put me in a little box with a label on it. Also not smart.

No. We are not smarter, nor was the wheel a small thing. You think making a flint arrow point doesn't require smarts? Go ahead and try to make one. You stand on the shoulders of a thousand generations who came up with all of the innovations that you take for granted and think you're smarter? Please.

I do note your attempt to put me in a little box with a label on it. Also not smart.
What I'm saying is that through time, humans are getting smarter. It's called evolution. We used to think that everything in the sky revolved around the earth, as time when on and we got smarter as a species, we figured things out... So yes, we are way smarter now. We're taller as well than they were 2000 years ago, just look at their clothes. That's also evolution.

What I'm saying is that through time, humans are getting smarter. It's called evolution. We used to think that everything in the sky revolved around the earth, as time when on and we got smarter as a species, we figured things out... So yes, we are way smarter now. We're taller as well than they were 2000 years ago, just look at their clothes. That's also evolution.

There is no evidence that we are getting smarter. We just have better tools. If reading the posts in the political sections are any measure, we are more likely getting dumber.

The entire god argument is made in an evidential vacuum. In that situation, the only logical conclusion that can be made also happens to be the one phrase humans seem to universally hate... "I don't know." Any conclusion other than that is pure, unsupported belief. An unsupported belief is an unsupported belief whether you agree with it or not. One unsupported belief is neither superior nor inferior to another. They are all blind guesses. But we, as a species, don't like that so we make connections (invalid connections) to justify our own blind guesses. At the same time we define "smart" as anyone who agrees with my blind guess.

physiology would not exist without the metaphysical cohesion that makes it possible. proven by its disappearance when the metaphysical ceases to function. i. e. - there are no examples of a generic physiological substance without a timeline.

physiology would not exist without the metaphysical cohesion that makes it possible. proven by its disappearance when the metaphysical ceases to function. i. e. - there are no examples of a generic physiological substance without a timeline.
That's a circular fallacy.

a cyclical fact in partial observation of life in the physical form on planet Earth. and evidence from whence it came. the metaphysical. software in the sky.

i. e. - there are no examples of a generic physiological substance without a timeline.

whatever life is physiology does not exist on its own without it and disappears when its spiritual content is removed.

i've pointed the above out to you before ff, why not provide an example otherwise if you dispute the correlation. or physiology without a spirit, still alive and present.

There is no evidence that we are getting smarter. We just have better tools. If reading the posts in the political sections are any measure, we are more likely getting dumber.

The entire god argument is made in an evidential vacuum. In that situation, the only logical conclusion that can be made also happens to be the one phrase humans seem to universally hate... "I don't know." Any conclusion other than that is pure, unsupported belief. An unsupported belief is an unsupported belief whether you agree with it or not. One unsupported belief is neither superior nor inferior to another. They are all blind guesses. But we, as a species, don't like that so we make connections (invalid connections) to justify our own blind guesses. At the same time we define "smart" as anyone who agrees with my blind guess.
No, evolution actually exists. Getting better tools, as you call, is simply a form of getting smarter about making tools. it's measurable, just like humans are getting taller through time, which you can see by looking at houses and clothes from hundreds of years ago, which are all smaller than they are now.

No, evolution actually exists. Getting better tools, as you call, is simply a form of getting smarter about making tools. it's measurable, just like humans are getting taller through time, which you can see by looking at houses and clothes from hundreds of years ago, which are all smaller than they are now.

No, it isn't. It's just building on what came before. I know you want to believe that, but it just isn't true. We are no smarter than we were 5,000 years ago. Thinking we are is just more wishful thinking. Just more belief.

Forum List

Back