Zone1 Is a FUNNY now a real FUNNY?

With all the additional emoji for use in ratings, is the FUNNY, which has been used as a negative rep, a disagree, a real FUNNY now, instead of a negative rep?
I use it as both, depending on the post, and always have, whether it confused anybody or not. Some things are really funny. Other things some of our strident posters say are simply so stupid, I would have to laugh in their face if they said it in person in the aisle of some store, maybe even point and says look at this idiot. But, I'm kind of course like that, and the military got me over my natural shyness.

Red down thumb is "what you have said is deplorable."
Laugh emoji is "what you have said is so stupid and absurd that it is unintentional comedy and you are the joke."

Sometimes something can be so deplorable and morally heinous that despite being incredibly stupid and absurd, it's just not funny. In which case, down thumb.
Example: "Stalin did nothing wrong!" The incredible death toll and vicious purges make laughter just not a valid response - the theoretical poster is a bad, sick, unfunny joke.

Red down thumb is "what you have said is deplorable."
Laugh emoji is "what you have said is so stupid and absurd that it is unintentional comedy and you are the joke."

Sometimes something can be so deplorable and morally heinous that despite being incredibly stupid and absurd, it's just not funny. In which case, down thumb.
Example: "Stalin did nothing wrong!" The incredible death toll and vicious purges make laughter just not a valid response - the theoretical poster is a bad, sick, unfunny joke.
I like the new emojis. I didn't know they were coming, as we weren't told or else I missed another staff meeting. I don't know.

With all the additional emoji for use in ratings, is the FUNNY, which has been used as a negative rep, a disagree, a real FUNNY now, instead of a negative rep?

Wasn't there a Far Side cartoon about laughing with vs laughing at?

Depends on the intent of the person using the emoji. If I see a post I find funny, I give it the funny emoji.

Others (primarily libtards) seem to use it as a sign of derision rather than just using the disagree emoji.

I can usually tell the difference. For instance, I ultimately decided to put the gaseous balloon I call “boredtoseeya” on ignore. Still, it finds it necessary occasionally to give me the funny emoji to indicate its derisive reaction to a post of mine. However, if a reasonable person uses it, it’s often safe to assume they just found a funny comment worthy of a chuckle.

The nation is cheerfully awaiting courteous good humor! The mods have it right. This is the new country attitude: :huddle: All for one and one for all! :yes_text12:

I use it as both, depending on the post, and always have, whether it confused anybody or not. Some things are really funny. Other things some of our strident posters say are simply so stupid, I would have to laugh in their face if they said it in person in the aisle of some store, maybe even point and says look at this idiot. But, I'm kind of course like that, and the military got me over my natural shyness.
I use it mostly for something that makes me laugh. And we have jokers on both sides! ..er, I mean that in a nice way...:redface:

We've always used the funny icon to laugh with each other in Coffee Shop as we've never neg repped in there. I just consider the source when I see it on one of my posts. Elsewhere if I intended to be humorous and get a 'funny' response, I take as somebody appreciating the humor. If it's somebody who is generally a jerk/troll here, I know it is intended as an insult. I never use it other than to indicate appreciation for somebody's humor.

It's whatever the person using it wants it to be. If we go tell people that it's only for one thing, guess what people are going to do ...... use it for what we said it wasn't!

A little advice: Don't take any of the post reactions personally. Back when we had neg rep, quite a few people on here would throw temper tantrums that could rival those of toddlers when someone neg repped them. It became an all out battle with some. A true mod nightmare.

It's whatever the person using it wants it to be. If we go tell people that it's only for one thing, guess what people are going to do ...... use it for what we said it wasn't!

A little advice: Don't take any of the post reactions personally. Back when we had neg rep, quite a few people on here would throw temper tantrums that could rival those of toddlers when someone neg repped them. It became an all out battle with some. A true mod nightmare.
been there done that

I remember the NEG REP. It was quite the toolbox of petulant children on this board. KUDOS.

What if you just...like...did away with them completely...

Could you imagine?

People would lose it.

I don't use the "Disagree." I never once gave a negative rep point.

I would use a "Piss Off."

Another place I frequent has a "Piss Off." It's a hand giving the finger. it works nicely...

I don't use the "Disagree." I never once gave a negative rep point.

I would use a "Piss Off."

Another place I frequent has a "Piss Off." It's a hand giving the finger. it works nicely...

Funny thing about this place ... most would consider getting flipped off an honor. Some would even go so far as to have a competition to see how many of them they could rack up.

Forum List

Back