IRS Question:

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
As required, last year I sent in my 2020 Tax Form 1040 with the associated forms and documentation on April 9th. I owed $449, so I wrote them a check and sent it in with my return like you're supposed to, and of course they cashed it shortly thereafter. Now - I get an IRS Notice CP80 yesterday that essentially says I have a credit on my account of $449. WTF? I guess they lost my return or haven't processed it yet? I tried calling their number, they're evidently too business to talk with me, so I went to their website: www.irs.gov/CP80.

The CP80 Notice that I got in the mail says that if I already filed the return, I should send in a copy of the return with copies of everything I attached to the original.

But then I go to the website mentioned above and it says verbatim:

What if I have already filed this return?

- Please send a newly signed copy to the address shown on the top of your notice.

- Due to processing delays for 2019 and 2020 tax returns, the issuance of CP80 and CP080 (Unfiled Tax Return – Credit on Account) notices has been suspended. If you received a notice for your 2019 return and you filed timely, please refile the return. If you received a notice for your 2020 return DO NOT refile.

It ain't like our taxable income (joint return) is all that much, just a little over $12,000. After all this time, they haven't processed my return yet? And they haven't finished the 2019 ones yet either?

Far as I know, there no way to tell online what the status is on my return, and it's a bitch to get someone on the phone. They told me to do this and then they said don't do it, so I ain't doing it. Just so you guys know, if you don't hear from me anymore, you'll know I'm in a federal pen somewhere makin' little ones outta big ones.

As required, last year I sent in my 2020 Tax Form 1040 with the associated forms and documentation on April 9th. I owed $449, so I wrote them a check and sent it in with my return like you're supposed to, and of course they cashed it shortly thereafter. Now - I get an IRS Notice CP80 yesterday that essentially says I have a credit on my account of $449. WTF? I guess they lost my return or haven't processed it yet? I tried calling their number, they're evidently too business to talk with me, so I went to their website: www.irs.gov/CP80.

The CP80 Notice that I got in the mail says that if I already filed the return, I should send in a copy of the return with copies of everything I attached to the original.

- Please send a newly signed copy to the address shown on the top of your notice.

- Due to processing delays for 2019 and 2020 tax returns, the issuance of CP80 and CP080 (Unfiled Tax Return – Credit on Account) notices has been suspended. If you received a notice for your 2019 return and you filed timely, please refile the return. If you received a notice for your 2020 return DO NOT refile.

It ain't like our taxable income (joint return) is all that much, just a little over $12,000. After all this time, they haven't processed my return yet? And they haven't finished the 2019 ones yet either?

Far as I know, there no way to tell online what the status is on my return, and it's a bitch to get someone on the phone. They told me to do this and then they said don't do it, so I ain't doing it. Just so you guys know, if you don't hear from me anymore, you'll know I'm in a federal pen somewhere makin' little ones outta big ones.
Good thing you came to the experts here. You shouldn't have any more problems with the IRS. :biggrin:

Tax breaks and grants were given for covid...maybe your return falls under the covid relief bill....

Well, we got the same rebate or whatever it is just like everyone else, nothing special. Just me and the wife.
My neighbor who owns a tile company put in for a SBA covid disaster loan and was approved for $35,000 he bought a new truck and tile cutter for his company and hasn't heard a word from the government on repaying the loan....this was in 2020 so who knows what's going on at the SBA and the IRS....just take the wife out for a nice dinner...he thinks the loan turned into a grant...he already has 25,000 miles on the truck....

Lol, they are not sending you to the pen over 400 dollars. Mean while not sure how you ended up owing with that income. Take that shit to H& R block I bet you get money coming back instead of paying.

Ya they looked at your return showing 12000 in income. Looked at the check for 400 and what ever. Realized standard deduction was 12400. Took all of a half second to realize you owed nothing. Meanwhile there was the stimulus that you were supposed to get. So you have paid them when you owed nothing and likely did not file the appropriate paper work for the stimulus. Go to H& R block have them redo it for you. You likely have a couple grand coming to you. Take the year before with you also sounds like ya don't know what you are doing. You could have thousands coming to you.

I encountered the same issue, but resolved it by calling the actual IRS.gov number, not the phone number on the mailed letter. They confirmed what the letter said and said that I didn't have to do anything as mail-in tax forms were just delayed in getting processed, beyond the cashing of the money sent in. A subsequent letter came after my call, confirming that my tax return was processed and the stimulus funds have been sent. The last time they sent a stimulus fund payment, it came in the form of a credit-like card, which I never used. Beyond anything that I personally earned (retirement, social security, et cetera), I want nothing from this garbage D.C., political administration.

Ya they looked at your return showing 12000 in income. Looked at the check for 400 and what ever. Realized standard deduction was 12400. Took all of a half second to realize you owed nothing. Meanwhile there was the stimulus that you were supposed to get. So you have paid them when you owed nothing and likely did not file the appropriate paper work for the stimulus. Go to H& R block have them redo it for you. You likely have a couple grand coming to you. Take the year before with you also sounds like ya don't know what you are doing. You could have thousands coming to you.

I believe I said taxable income, meaning the amount I got taxed on AFTER the standard deduction is taken out. Which for us is a little over $12k, and we do not have much tax withheld. I use one of those online internet tax software things, all you do is enter the data that is requested. I useta do it by hand, but it's easier this way and we don't really have any complications.

I believe I said taxable income, meaning the amount I got taxed on AFTER the standard deduction is taken out. Which for us is a little over $12k, and we do not have much tax withheld. I use one of those online internet tax software things, all you do is enter the data that is requested. I useta do it by hand, but it's easier this way and we don't really have any complications.
Gotcha. The internet TurboTax is usually pretty good for your typical person and is likely correct as long as you entered correct. I am self employed with multiple businesses. Little more complicated for me. I use an accounting firm. Free myself of many hours of work and have legal representation if I get questioned.

I use tax act every year. Import last years and gi for it. Have big medical itemized every year so usually dont pay much more each year.

Lol, they are not sending you to the pen over 400 dollars. Mean while not sure how you ended up owing with that income. Take that shit to H& R block I bet you get money coming back instead of paying.

I voted for Trump, I wonder if they know that? My brother might've ratted me out, the damn fool married a liberal woman and he's so whipped it ain't funny.

FYI:

Trying to minimize aggravation during a tax-filing season that could have plenty of challenges, the Internal Revenue Service said it is pausing one of its notices that could ferment taxpayer frustrations.

That’s a good first step, tax-practitioner organizations say — but there’s more the IRS can do to help lower taxpayers’ blood pressure.

The IRS said Thursday it is suspending the notices it churns out when the agency’s systems show a person paid a balance due, but there’s no record showing the income-tax return has been filed.
Chances are the IRS has the return in paper form, but the tax collector still hasn’t processed it, the backlogged agency said in a statement. “Stopping these letters — which could have otherwise been sent to thousands of taxpayers — will help avoid confusion,” it said.
As of late December, the IRS was coping with a backlog of 6 million unprocessed tax returns, more than 2 million unprocessed amended returns and 5 million pieces of taxpayer correspondence, according to Erin Collins, the IRS’ National Taxpayer Advocate.

Maybe we need to streamline our tax returns so that it's easier for most of us to file and easier for them to process them. Less paper, more e-filing.

Forum List

Back