Iron Sheik has passed away

My condolences out to the Sheik's family as well as the Iranian people for their nation's greatest athlete.

It's pretty pathetic when your countries greatest athlete is a professional rassler actor

81 is old for a WWE Wrestler

Its a tough life in the WWE. One night you are getting DDT'ed, the following you might be getting tombstoned, RKO'ed and put into the Million Dollar Dream.

That kind of stuff wears a man down.

He was a top class grappler in his non '' pro rasslin'' life. He did what he had to do to make a buck. Like Bob Roop former Olympic greco roman medalist and others like him.

Early life and amateur wrestling[edit]​

Khosrow was born in 1942 in Damghan, Iran, and grew up in a working-class family which had little money and no running water. Although his passport reads March 15, he celebrates his birthday on September 9.[6] In his youth, he idolized Iranian Olympic Gold-Medalist wrestler Gholamreza Takhti, and he subsequently made a name for himself as an amateur wrestler; he also worked as a bodyguard for Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and his family for several years.[3]

Khosrow competed for a spot on Iran's Greco-Roman wrestling team for the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City.[3][7] He then moved to the United States and became the assistant coach of two U.S. Olympic squads in the 1970s. In 1971, he was the Amateur Athletic Union Greco-Roman wrestling champion and gold medalist at 180.5 pounds;[8] he later became assistant coach to the USA team for the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich.

My condolences out to the Sheik's family as well as the Iranian people for their nation's greatest athlete.

He and Volkov were a legend when I was a wee lad. He was a real pr*ck though as he aged. Used VERY offensive and violent language. Go listen to what he said about Hogans daughter I believe it was on Howard Stern, real nasty, dirtbag stuff. Also, he smacked his manager at a signing event (but not the wrstker he had a beef with, fake tough guy) very violent guy. All that said R.I.P

The Sheik was discovered by Ayatollah Fred Blassie on one of the latter's trips to Teheran back in the day. The Sheik was walking through the streets chopping down camels left and right with a single chop each.

He knew he had to bring him back to America, and since Blassie was a tight friend with Ayatollah Khomenei who appreciated guys like the King of Men, he didn't have any problem with having the Sheik come to America to win the WWWF belt which he did.

Forum List

Back