Iraq’s Kurdish female entrepreneurs overcome barriers to succeed

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Nearly five years ago, Huda Sarhang, 27, was sitting at one of the most iconic tea shops in Erbil, the Macho tea shop, sipping the store’s famous cardamom-infused tea.

Staring at the classic istikaan glass which held her tea, she wondered whether it could withstand the heat of something else: melted wax.
After researching the science behind candle-making through online classes, and experimenting with different products, Sarhang started making candles for her family and friends, and soon, Lala Candles was born – handmade candles rooted in Kurdish heritage and culture.

“I wanted to create a product that makes the perfect souvenir for foreigners and the locals to gift to their loved ones,” Sarhang told Al Jazeera.

She is one of a growing wave of female entrepreneurs in northern Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region, but her enthusiasm is slightly curbed by the lack of infrastructure in place to support young entrepreneurs.

Ok. I don't normally read Aljazeera but they had an article about a female in Iraq that was successful. I thought that was pretty cool.

Forum List

Back