Iraqi Prime Minister says Iraqi Army and Police are Now ready to keep the peace

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Iraq's top leader says their police and army are capable of keeping the peace in Iraq. Time to pull out our combat troops. At best, all that's left to do is to provide arms to the Iraqi Army, and logistical support (i.e. some training)

Al-Maliki: Iraqis Can Keep Country Secure

(AP) BAGHDAD Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Saturday that the Iraqi army and police are capable of keeping security in the country when American troops leave "any time they want," though he acknowledged the forces need further weapons and training.....

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari warned earlier this week of civil war and the collapse of the government if the Americans leave. But al-Maliki told reporters Saturday, "We say in full confidence that we are able, God willing, to take the responsibility completely in running the security file if the international forces withdraw at any time they want."

http://kdka.com/topstories/topstories_story_195090104.html

To Recap:

-70% of the american people want to get out of Iraq.

-A majority of Congress votes for timetables to start getting out of Iraq.

-The Head of the Iraqi Government says: "Don't stay on our account. We can take over security at any time".

To Recap:

-70% of the american people want to get out of Iraq.

-A majority of Congress votes for timetables to start getting out of Iraq.

-The Head of the Iraqi Government says: "Don't stay on our account. We can take over security at any time".

I have to say that I am a little surprised that this has generated no discussion. Of course, if you believe that our national security is closely tied up to what happens in Iraq, then maybe what he says is pretty irrelevant.

On the other hand, if the sovereign nation which we occupy is saying that we really don't need to be there, then... I actually don't know what.

I understand he is probably a little rankled with all the discussion of what a poor job he is doing, but the comment does seem a wee bit ungrateful. (Although perhaps he is not grateful for our presence.)

OOOHHHHHH!!!!!! What does it all mean?

Forum List

Back