Iraq slips in the rankings...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
...Of the 2007 <a href=http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3865>"Failed States Index"</a>. Iraq went from fourth place last year to second place this year, ranking only better than Sudan in terms of instability, and that only by the thinnest of margins. This despite claims by the Bush administration of "progress" in Iraq.

And it is progress...of a sort, if you consider a headlong rush to the bottom progress. This decline in stability is attributed to an increase in four factors, first is the increase in sectarian violence over the last year. Next is the increase in the number of refugees fleeing Iraq, which has been steadily climbing, with most of the middle-class gone. Then there are the Iraqi security forces, compromised mostly of Shi'ites, many of them members of Shi'ite militias with an axe to grind with any Sunni unfortunate enough to fall into their hands. and finally, there is the US intervention, which has increased, thanks to the Bush administration's "surge" strategy, which from what I and many others have seen, is doing little more than getting more of our soldiers and innocent Iraqis killed. You can view the results in the link I posted above.

The only debate now is how ugly and violent the final break up Iraq will be. Thank you, President Bush

with all due respect, and your solution is?. I dont wanna whining, i want solutions.

...Of the 2007 <a href=http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3865>"Failed States Index"</a>. Iraq went from fourth place last year to second place this year, ranking only better than Sudan in terms of instability, and that only by the thinnest of margins. This despite claims by the Bush administration of "progress" in Iraq.

And it is progress...of a sort, if you consider a headlong rush to the bottom progress. This decline in stability is attributed to an increase in four factors, first is the increase in sectarian violence over the last year. Next is the increase in the number of refugees fleeing Iraq, which has been steadily climbing, with most of the middle-class gone. Then there are the Iraqi security forces, compromised mostly of Shi'ites, many of them members of Shi'ite militias with an axe to grind with any Sunni unfortunate enough to fall into their hands. and finally, there is the US intervention, which has increased, thanks to the Bush administration's "surge" strategy, which from what I and many others have seen, is doing little more than getting more of our soldiers and innocent Iraqis killed. You can view the results in the link I posted above.

The only debate now is how ugly and violent the final break up Iraq will be. Thank you, President Bush

with all due respect, and your solution is?. I dont wanna whining, i want solutions.

Impeaching the Bush administration, brining ALL the countries in the region into the peace process there and getting out troops the hell out of there before it all comes crashing down around their ears.

Elect a Democrat......

All will be good in the WORLD...and we will all live in.........UTOPIA..:badgrin:

Yup, If a democrat wins in 2008 suddenly the war, if still going, will be legit and any action taken "good" for America.

But to the point. If Iraq is unstable that would be WHY we NEED to stay. It would not be an excuse to cut and run.

Impeaching the Bush administration,

Ya know......I love how they say........Impeach the WHOLE BUSH ADMINISTATION....

I've never known of a WHOLE ADMINISTRATION....being impeached...

If that was the case........Why wasn't the WHOLE Bj Clinton administration.........IMPEACHED WHEN HE WAS??

Impeach President Bush...say HELLO...President Cheney....:rofl:

Now that you've had your fun with the red-meat I threw you this morning...And it was truly amusing to read your replies...Let's look at some possible solutions, besides "stay the course" and "surges".

<blockquote>The United States should immediately launch a new diplomatic offensive to build an international consensus for stability in Iraq and the region. This diplomatic effort should include every country that has an interest in avoiding a chaotic Iraq, including all of Iraq&#8217;s neighbors. Iraq&#8217;s neighbors and key states in and outside the region should form a support group to reinforce security and national reconciliation within Iraq, neither of which Iraq can achieve on its own. - <a href=http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:6opDKQuu1QIJ:www.usip.org/isg/iraq_study_group_report/report/1206/iraq_study_group_report.pdf+the+iraq+study+group&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a>The Iraq Study Group</a></blockquote>

Iraq's neighbors include Syria and Iran neither of which, until recently, has the Bush administration shown any inclination to do, and now only grudgingly. More importantly, however, is the utter lack of interest to engage in any meaningful attempt to find a political solution to the problems posed by the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

<blockquote>There must be a renewed and sustained commitment by the United States to a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace on all fronts: Lebanon,
Syria, and President Bush&#8217;s June 2002 commitment to a two-state solution for Israel and Palestine. This commitment must include direct talks with, by, and between Israel, Lebanon, Palestinians (those who accept Israel&#8217;s right to exist), and Syria. - The Iraq Study Group</blockquote>

Again, the Bush administration has shown little inclination to pursue any negotiations to bring about an accord in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Indeed, the mis-steps, miscalculations and outright indifference of this administration to that conflict brought about the bloody internecine struggle between Hammas and Fatah in Gaza and the West Bank.

These are but two possible solutions which were rejected, outright, by the Bush in December of last year. And it is becoming increasingly apparent that Bush, and his administration, are setting the stage in Iraq so that the next President will not be readily able to bring this disastrous situation to a close. He is determined to force America to face its "national destiny".

The solutions are there. But Bush and his slavish supporters simply refuse to implement them as they are neither simple nor easy.

You don't need to know what will work to have the ability to point out what won't work.

But to the point. If Iraq is unstable that would be WHY we NEED to stay. It would not be an excuse to cut and run.

No its a reason to leave a situation which we have fubared. Iraq has steadily gotten worse every year we have been in there. Do you think that, by some miracle, it will suddenly start getting better with us doing the exact same thing we've always done?

If that was the case........Why wasn't the WHOLE Bj Clinton administration.........IMPEACHED WHEN HE WAS??

Impeach President Bush...say HELLO...President Cheney....

Do you have some secret knowledge that the entire Clinton administration recieved blowjobs and then lied about them? Because much of the Bush administration was involved in pushing for the war in Iraq.

..Of the 2007 "Failed States Index". Iraq went from fourth place last year to second place this year, ranking only better than Sudan in terms of instability, and that only by the thinnest of margins.

We'll that was a wise investment of half a trillion taxpayer dollars, and the sacrifice of 30,000 dead and wounded american soliders.

Ya know......I love how they say........Impeach the WHOLE BUSH ADMINISTATION....

Ummm, I think as far as the war is concerned we already have president shooter.

All indications are that Cheney IS president.

Forum List

Back