Iraq Policy: "lie and die?"

liberalogic

Jan 15, 2006
NJ
John Kerry and Joe Biden and the rest of the democrats who want to cut and run from Iraq should be ashamed of themselves. Regardless of whether or not we agree on how the war started, we are now in this mess together. The sick part of it is that they are using this issue as a political forum to get votes from those who see the problems that we are facing in Iraq. Kerry called it "lie and die" (a rebuttal to "cut and run"). The only good thing about this is that the democrats are actually standing up for something instead of remaining silent. Except for Hillary Clinton who is a phony, go with the crowd politician. I detest George Bush, but at least he has some resolve and a backbone.

Here's why we need to stay:

1) If we leave now or set a departure date, the enemy will simply wait us out and destroy what we leave behind. While many of us in the west think of them as primitive, blinded by faith monsters, they are quite intelligent and crafty. Not to mention that they possess an important quality-- PATIENCE. We're on a timetable, they aren't.

2) There is going to be a civil war in Iraq and the troops there are certainly not ready to handle that on their own. Not to mention that insurgents will only add fuel to the fire.

3) THIS IS A MORAL IMPERATIVE. As a country, we need to have a conscience. It is wrong to invade another nation (especially in an effort to free its people) and then leave it in ruins. What kind of an example would we set? We'd be no better than Iran or any other totalitarian nation that only seeks to harm instead of help. Since we are far removed from the conditions of Iraq, we fail to realize what these civilians live with. They have little electricity, little money, and on top of that, they have to fear every time they walk out of their houses.

We opened the floodgates, it's our job to close them. Politicizing this issue for votes is disgraceful and disingenuous to the preciousness of life and humanity in general.

liberalogic said:
John Kerry and Joe Biden and the rest of the democrats who want to cut and run from Iraq should be ashamed of themselves. Regardless of whether or not we agree on how the war started, we are now in this mess together. The sick part of it is that they are using this issue as a political forum to get votes from those who see the problems that we are facing in Iraq. Kerry called it "lie and die" (a rebuttal to "cut and run"). The only good thing about this is that the democrats are actually standing up for something instead of remaining silent. Except for Hillary Clinton who is a phony, go with the crowd politician. I detest George Bush, but at least he has some resolve and a backbone.

Here's why we need to stay:

1) If we leave now or set a departure date, the enemy will simply wait us out and destroy what we leave behind. While many of us in the west think of them as primitive, blinded by faith monsters, they are quite intelligent and crafty. Not to mention that they possess an important quality-- PATIENCE. We're on a timetable, they aren't.

2) There is going to be a civil war in Iraq and the troops there are certainly not ready to handle that on their own. Not to mention that insurgents will only add fuel to the fire.

3) THIS IS A MORAL IMPERATIVE. As a country, we need to have a conscience. It is wrong to invade another nation (especially in an effort to free its people) and then leave it in ruins. What kind of an example would we set? We'd be no better than Iran or any other totalitarian nation that only seeks to harm instead of help. Since we are far removed from the conditions of Iraq, we fail to realize what these civilians live with. They have little electricity, little money, and on top of that, they have to fear every time they walk out of their houses.

We opened the floodgates, it's our job to close them. Politicizing this issue for votes is disgraceful and disingenuous to the preciousness of life and humanity in general.

Are you sure you are liberal or are you one of the last few good Democrats left?

Great post liberalogic.

F41 said:
Are you sure you are liberal or are you one of the last few good Democrats left?

Great post liberalogic.

Thank you. Yes, I am a liberal-- if there's any doubt, you'll see it in the social issues. But even though I do have a problem with how the war was started, where we should progress from here is, in my mind, simply common sense. To me, cut and run liberals are being irrational, selfish, and though I have a different definition of this word than others on this board-- immoral.

Forum List

Back