Iranian jets attack US military drone, Pentagon officials say

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Iranian jets attack US military drone, Pentagon officials say​

Two Iranian jets reportedly fired on a U.S. military drone over international waters on November 1st. NBC's Mike Viqueira reports.​

By Courtney Kube, NBC News

Two Iranian jets fired on a U.S. military drone, Pentagon officials said Thursday — the first time such an action has been acknowledged by the United States.

At 4:50 a.m. EDT on Nov. 1, an Iranian SU-25 Frog Foot jet fired on a U.S. MQ-1 Predator drone that was conducting routine surveillance in international waters over the Arabian Gulf, Pentagon spokesman George Little said. The unarmed Predator was approximately 16 nautical miles off the Iranian coast when the Iranian jet began firing and was never in Iranian airspace, he said.

But a senior defense official said two Iranian ground-attack jets were involved in the incident. The jets circled the Predator several times, firing 30-millimeter cannons at the unarmed drone.

"We don't know why," the Iranians were shooting at the drone, the official said, insisting the drone did not cross into Iranian airspace. The drone was "conducting routine maritime surveillance, watching ships," the official said.

The Iranian jets followed the Predator for several miles before turning away. The drone returned safely to base and wasn't hit by the Iranian gunfire.

President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta were notified of the incident early that morning, the Pentagon said. The White House would not comment on the incident, but a senior administration official confirmed to NBC News that Obama was told the day of the incident.

Asked whether the Iranian jet was firing warning shots, Little said the jet "fired to take it down." He would not speculate on whether this constitutes an act of war.

The United States informed the Iranians that the U.S. military will continue surveillance flights over the international waters of the Arabian Gulf. Little said that was communicated by the State Department through Swiss officials.

Asked why the incident is just being revealed now — more than one week after the incident and just two days after the presidential election — Little said that the Pentagon does not talk about classified missions. He said that the information had been leaked to the media so he is acknowledging it.

read more:
Iranian jets attack US military drone, Pentagon officials say - World News

An Iranian open act of war and Oblamer leads from behind. Why did Oblamer sit on this until now?
Maybe a couple cruise missiles taking out an Iranian airfield, or hitting a naval installation would send a message.

You know, I think it's a LITTLE more complicated that that. Since I very much doubt it'll simply end at those Cruise Missiles. Kind of like how if a 6 year old chucked rocks at your house...and you punched him in the eye- it wouldn't just end there.

An Iranian open act of war and Oblamer leads from behind. Why did Oblamer sit on this until now?
Maybe a couple cruise missiles taking out an Iranian airfield, or hitting a naval installation would send a message.

I remember this stuff from during the cold war. Read some books assuming you are not old enough.

I probably support whatever mischief we are up to over there but refuse to be so naieve to think America's hands are clean.

So lets not volunteer my son for war quite yet.

I remember this stuff from during the cold war. Read some books assuming you are not old enough.

I probably support whatever mischief we are up to over there but refuse to be so naieve to think America's hands are clean.

We no longer volunteer your son. Your son volunteers. Or not.

The drone returned safely to base and wasn't hit by the Iranian gunfire.

This is the country you're worried about? :lol:

Published on Thursday, November 8, 2012 by the Guardian/UK

CNN Claims Iran Shot at a US Drone, Revealing the News Network's Mindset

Its Pentagon reporter parrots significant, inflammatory government claims without an iota of skepticism or balance

by Glenn Greenwald

Barbara Starr, CNN's Pentagon reporter (more accurately known as: the Pentagon's reporter at CNN), has an exciting exclusive today. Exclusively relying upon "three senior officials" in the Obama administration (all anonymous, needless to say), she claims that "two Iranian Su-25 fighter jets fired on an unarmed US Air Force Predator drone in the Persian Gulf last week," while "the drone was in international airspace east of Kuwait . . . engaged in routine maritime surveillance." The drone was not hit, but, says CNN, "the incident raises fresh concerns within the Obama administration about Iranian military aggression in crucial Gulf oil shipping lanes."

Iranian guards with the US RQ-170 Sentinel drone they claim to have brought down electronically. Photo/AFPFirst things first: let us pause for a moment to extend our thoughts and prayers to this US drone. Although it was not physically injured, being shot at by the Iranians - while it was doing nothing other than peacefully minding its own business - must have been a very traumatic experience. I think I speak on behalf of everyone, regardless of political views, when I say that we all wish this brave hero a speedy recovery and hope it is back in full health soon, protecting our freedom.

The CNN report on this incident is revealing indeed. Every paragraph - literally - contains nothing but mindless summaries of the claims of US government officials. There is not an iota of skepticism about any of the assertions, including how this incident happened, what the drone was doing at the time, or where it took place. It is pure US government press release - literally; I defy anyone to identify any differences if the US government had issued its own press release directly rather than issuing it masquerading as a leaked CNN report.

Most notably, CNN does not even bother with the pretense of trying to include the claims of the Iranian government about what happened. There is no indication that the self-described news outlet even made an effort to contact Tehran to obtain their rendition of these events or even confirmation that it occurred. It simply regurgitates the accusations of anonymous US officials that Iran, with no provocation, out of the blue decided to shoot at a US drone in international airspace. (Although CNN does not mention it, last December Iran shot down a US drone which, it claims (and the US does not deny) was in Iranian air space).

That CNN's prime mission is to serve the US government is hardly news. But given the magnitude of these kinds of accusations - their obvious ability, if not intent, to bolster animosity on the part of the US public toward Iran and heighten tensions between the two nations - shouldn't CNN at least pretend to be a bit more skeptical and even-handed about how it is reporting these claims? Anonymous Bush officials claim Saddam is reconstituting his nuclear program; anonymous Obama officials claim Iran illegally shot at a US drone for no reason.

***"
(www.commondreams.org/2012/11/08-1)
===============================================================

Their Hilarian tactics slow in bearing fruit, NABUCCO in extremis, NATO a paper tiger, Turkey divided,
the GCC frightened, the remedy called for by Britain, France, the US, Israel and the GCC
is
what,
if not war.

So the big drum commences to beat again calling to the hearts and souls of all loyal citizens to rally about the flag and kill those bastards.

SHOCKLEY

Yep. Lots of this kind of shit happened during the Cold War. It didn't all make the papers, and for good reason.

Iranian jets attack US military drone, Pentagon officials say​

Two Iranian jets reportedly fired on a U.S. military drone over international waters on November 1st. NBC's Mike Viqueira reports.​

By Courtney Kube, NBC News

Two Iranian jets fired on a U.S. military drone, Pentagon officials said Thursday — the first time such an action has been acknowledged by the United States.

At 4:50 a.m. EDT on Nov. 1, an Iranian SU-25 Frog Foot jet fired on a U.S. MQ-1 Predator drone that was conducting routine surveillance in international waters over the Arabian Gulf, Pentagon spokesman George Little said. The unarmed Predator was approximately 16 nautical miles off the Iranian coast when the Iranian jet began firing and was never in Iranian airspace, he said.

But a senior defense official said two Iranian ground-attack jets were involved in the incident. The jets circled the Predator several times, firing 30-millimeter cannons at the unarmed drone.

"We don't know why," the Iranians were shooting at the drone, the official said, insisting the drone did not cross into Iranian airspace. The drone was "conducting routine maritime surveillance, watching ships," the official said.

The Iranian jets followed the Predator for several miles before turning away. The drone returned safely to base and wasn't hit by the Iranian gunfire.

President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta were notified of the incident early that morning, the Pentagon said. The White House would not comment on the incident, but a senior administration official confirmed to NBC News that Obama was told the day of the incident.

Asked whether the Iranian jet was firing warning shots, Little said the jet "fired to take it down." He would not speculate on whether this constitutes an act of war.

The United States informed the Iranians that the U.S. military will continue surveillance flights over the international waters of the Arabian Gulf. Little said that was communicated by the State Department through Swiss officials.

Asked why the incident is just being revealed now — more than one week after the incident and just two days after the presidential election — Little said that the Pentagon does not talk about classified missions. He said that the information had been leaked to the media so he is acknowledging it.

read more:
Iranian jets attack US military drone, Pentagon officials say - World News

It's not a serious enough incident to warrant a retaliation, but I wonder what kind of rules of engagement we have over there that we didn't scramble jets when the first shot was fired.

You know, I think it's a LITTLE more complicated that that. Since I very much doubt it'll simply end at those Cruise Missiles. Kind of like how if a 6 year old chucked rocks at your house...and you punched him in the eye- it wouldn't just end there.

No one said it would. No the idea is to speak to the leaders in no uncertain terms. A little show of our power might stop their bullying. If that had been a manned plane and it was shot down and the pilot killed would you still have the same reasoning?

Yep. Lots of this kind of shit happened during the Cold War. It didn't all make the papers, and for good reason.

Are you saying that Iran is the equivalent of the soviet Union?

Funny. The same right wingers who verbally bash government workers and government spending...........are on this thread asking for ANOTHER war fought by government workers and funded by government spending.

It's the Twilight Zone around here lately.

Forum List

Back