Iran Threatening Israel Directly, Bluff or Not?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060730/wl_nm/mideast_iran_revenge_dc

Iran forces urged to prepare to hit Israel

2 hours, 5 minutes ago

Iran's hardline forces should get ready to take revenge on Israel and the United States for the offensive on Lebanon, the head of the Revolutionary Guards was quoted as saying on Sunday.

"The Basij and Revolutionary Guards should prepare to get even with the Zionists and Americans," Yahya Rahim-Safavi was quoted as telling Islamic militiamen by the conservative Fars news agency.

The Basij are volunteer Islamic militiamen.

"The timing of the this will be announced by the leader," he added.

An Israeli air strike killed 54 civilians, including 37 children in the southern Lebanese village of Qana on Sunday, the bloodiest single attack since Israel's 19-day-old war on Lebanese Hizbollah guerrillas began.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards are historically close to Hizbollah and were deployed in south Lebanon during the 1980s. Mostafa Chamran, spiritual father of the Guards, forged his reputation fighting in Lebanon.

The Basij and Revolutionary Guards are directly answerable to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Although Iran funded and armed Hizbollah in the 1980s, it has insisted recently its support is mainly moral and political.

However, many sources have said Iranian arms are being used against Israeli civilian and military targets.

An Israeli military source has said an Iranian-made C802 radar-guided land-to-sea missile with a range of 60 miles (95 km) hit and badly damaged a ship during Israel's offensive against Lebanon.

Hizbollah said it fired "Raad (Thunder) 2" and "Raad 3" rockets at a rail depot in Haifa. Raad missiles are Iranian.

Israel's army said it destroyed an Iranian-made Zelzal missile with range of between 74 and 99 miles before it was launched.

GunnyL said:
Interesting. I speculated (somehwere around here) when Israel first went after Hezbollah that it could be an attempt to draw Iran into the fray, justifying Israel putting an end to Iran's nuclear dreams.

A step closer.
Then again, since Hizbollah started this, we assume they took Iran by surprise. Perhaps not? The sockpuppet of Iran may well be dancing to the puppetmaster's string. It may be with the US turning to UN, Iran decides to enter?

Kathianne said:
Then again, since Hizbollah started this, we assume they took Iran by surprise. Perhaps not? The sockpuppet of Iran may well be dancing to the puppetmaster's string. It may be with the US turning to UN, Iran decides to enter?

Oh, I don't think Iran is behind it. Hezbollah was going about "business as usual" -- snatch some hostages and trade them for prisoners held by Israel. I think Israel's response caught everyone off guard.

I merely submitted as a possibility that it is a ploy by Israel to draw Iran out into the open. Israel is basically saying support your boys or we'll destroy them all.

Iran has to weigh openly supporting Hezbollah against its nuclear ambitions because there isn't anyone above third grade level that doesn't KNOW where and what Israel will strike first.

GunnyL said:
Oh, I don't think Iran is behind it. Hezbollah was going about "business as usual" -- snatch some hostages and trade them for prisoners held by Israel. I think Israel's response caught everyone off guard.

I merely submitted as a possibility that it is a ploy by Israel to draw Iran out into the open. Israel is basically saying support your boys or we'll destroy them all.

Iran has to weigh openly supporting Hezbollah against its nuclear ambitions because there isn't anyone above third grade level that doesn't KNOW where and what Israel will strike first.
I fail to see Israel daring Iran to enter. Am I missing something?

If this thing gets any bigger, and America decides to back Israeal, then we better start the draft. Because we're spred too thin as it is.

I'd support it though. I'd support an all out war against islam. Us or them, winner take all... and it's over.

Pale Rider said:
If this thing gets any bigger, and America decides to back Israeal, then we better start the draft. Because we're spred too thin as it is.

I'd support it though. I'd support an all out war against islam. Us or them, winner take all... and it's over.
We do back Israel, one thing those of us that think it's a good thing and those that think it's a bad thing agree upon, we will continue to do so. With that said, if Iran enters, it will be a new board.

If not, Israel will not need our soldiers help. What they need is a real green light, to root out Hizbollah, civilian casualties notwithstanding. That however will not happen unless the board changes. We have problems with civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, for the same reasons.

Kathianne said:
I fail to see Israel daring Iran to enter. Am I missing something?

Who stands to lose the most if and when Iran acquires nuclear power/arms? Israel stood by and wathced the bureacrats blow hot air and at the end of the day, accomplish nothing.

What Israel needs is an excuse to justify an attack on Iran. What better way than to suck Iran into openly supporting the terrorist organization it clandestinely (but everyone knows -- one of the ridiculous nuances of politics) supports?

It's just a theory of mine. There is no evidence beyond circumstance to support it.

GunnyL said:
Who stands to lose the most if and when Iran acquires nuclear power/arms? Israel stood by and wathced the bureacrats blow hot air and at the end of the day, accomplish nothing.

What Israel needs is an excuse to justify an attack on Iran. What better way than to suck Iran into openly supporting the terrorist organization it clandestinely (but everyone knows -- one of the ridiculous nuances of politics) supports?

It's just a theory of mine. There is no evidence beyond circumstance to support it.
I don't disagree with that premise, just not seeing the provocation on Israel's part to this statement from Iranian official.

GunnyL said:
Except that Israel is handing up a serious ass-whipping to Iran's boys.
There are more of 'Iran's boys' though, than Israelis. That is a problem.

Kathianne said:
There are more of 'Iran's boys' though, than Israelis. That is a problem.

There always has been and Israel has always prevailed, with or without the US. I don't envision Iran attempting to move an army across Iraq to get to Israel. There's "something" in the way.

GunnyL said:
There always has been and Israel has always prevailed, with or without the US. I don't envision Iran attempting to move an army across Iraq to get to Israel. There's "something" in the way.
If they can get the rockets/missiles there, they can get the troops there.

GunnyL said:

Same thought went through my head--force everyones' hand.

dilloduck said:
Same thought went through my head--force everyones' hand.

Then let's get to it. The world does NOT need this terrorist bullshit to go on any longer. There has to be an end to it.

I'm so sick of hearing about the middle east and terrorism I could spit bullets. Let's quit playing hanky panky with these fuckers and clean house, once and for all. Put up or shut up. Lets end it.

I can't even imagine the Pentagon not having war plans for an all out assault.

Pale Rider said:
Then let's get to it. The world does NOT need this terrorist bullshit to go on any longer. There has to be an end to it.

I'm so sick of hearing about the middle east and terrorism I could spit bullets. Let's quit playing hanky panky with these fuckers and clean house, once and for all. Put up or shut up. Lets end it.
Whichever of the multitude of sides prevails, this is something that will in all likelihood be around for the remainder of our lives. I'm not so sure the US is going to come out on top.

Kathianne said:
Whichever of the multitude of sides prevails, this is something that will in all likelihood be around for the remainder of our lives. I'm not so sure the US is going to come out on top.

It would certainly test the will of the American people, and judging by the way people whine and snivel now, I guess maybe they wouldn't have the stomach for it. They'd rather be taken over by radical islam millitants and be forced to worship alla.

Pale Rider said:
It would certainly test the will of the American people, and judging by the way people whine and snivel now, I guess maybe they wouldn't have the stomach for it. They'd rather be taken over by radical islam millitants and be forced to worship alla.
I'd like to think differently, but fear that is correct. They'll be killed because the Islamics will run out of the need for slaves and dhimmitude will lose its meaning.

There are those that will 'convert' but my guess, they won't be recognized.

Forum List

Back