Iran Arming Taliban

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
We knew that Iran was delivering EFP to the murder squads in Iraq; an act of war. Now comes a US Undersectretary of State, Nicholas Burns, to say that Iran is giving weapons to the Taliban. The coming conflict with Iran may be a lot closer than people think.

Iran Arming Taliban, Increasingly Isolated: U.S.
Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:34PM EDT

Complete article: http://news.originalsignal.com/arti...taliban-increasingly-isolated-us-reuters.html

PARIS (Reuters) - Iran is arming the Taliban in Afghanistan, U.S. Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said on Tuesday, accusing Tehran of fuelling insurrection around the Middle East and misjudging the international mood.

Paying a brief visit to France, Burns warned Iran that it would face increasingly tough sanctions if it refused to negotiate over its nuclear ambitions in the "next week or two".

Burns said Iran was a destabilizing force and was funding extremists in the Palestinian territories, Lebanon and Iraq.

"Iran is now even transferring arms to the Taliban in Afghanistan. It is a country that is trying to flex its muscles, but in a way that is injurious to just about everyone else in the world. I think it is a major miscalculation," Burns said.

I doubt this. I do not doubt Iran would do it if it suited their policies, BUT I doubt it because they do not get anything out of it. They were NEVER on good terms with the Taliban and have made efforts to improve relations with the current Government in Afghanistan.

I will need a lot more than this to convince me.

I doubt this. I do not doubt Iran would do it if it suited their policies, BUT I doubt it because they do not get anything out of it. They were NEVER on good terms with the Taliban and have made efforts to improve relations with the current Government in Afghanistan.

I will need a lot more than this to convince me.

Unless it suits there purposes more to arm our enemies. That's not saying you aren't correct in your assessment, but they have no real dog in the Israel Palestine fight either; yet they openly support Hezbollah.

Unless it suits there purposes more to arm our enemies. That's not saying you aren't correct in your assessment, but they have no real dog in the Israel Palestine fight either; yet they openly support Hezbollah.

What planet do you live on? The Iranian Muslim masters HATE Israel.

I doubt that Burns would say that to the press if there was not some fire behind the smoke. The Persians are not stupid. Yet they have almost zero leverage over the US. They are trying to develop some bargaining chips: the Hezbollah attack on Israel, the EFP, the US hostages currently under arrest, arming the Taliban. The Mullahs worry we will attempt regime change. They worry that we will fund and arm Iranian dissident elements. They worry we will bomb their nuke facilities. They want to exchange their chips for economic concessions, security guarantees, and hands off their nuke weapons program. The tension in this situation continues to build.

It is not just Burns, but also Gates who has said that Iranian weapons are being shipped to the Taliban:

US: NATO Has Intercepted Iranian Arms
By JAMEY KEATEN

Complete article: http://news.originalsignal.com/article/357789/u-s-nato-has-intercepted-iranian-arms.html

PARIS - NATO has intercepted Iranian weapons shipments to Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents, providing evidence Iran is violating international law to aid a group it once considered a bitter enemy, a senior U.S. diplomat said Wednesday.

"There's irrefutable evidence the Iranians are now doing this," Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said on CNN. "It's certainly coming from the government of Iran. It's coming from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps command, which is a basic unit of the Iranian government."

Speaking separately to The Associated Press, Burns said NATO must act to stop the shipments. The Iran-Afghanistan frontier is "a very long border. But the Iranians need to know that we are there and that we're going to oppose this."

"It's a very serious question," he said, adding that Iran is in "outright violation" of U.N. Security Council resolutions.

The State Department later appeared to step back from Burns' assertion the Iranian government was directly involved in the transfers but stressed Washington has proof that weapons from Iran were being sent to Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

"We absolutely are certain that there are Iranian-origin weapons flowing into Afghanistan to the Taliban," spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters.

"We do not know the extent of any Iranian government involvement at this point, but given the nature of the regime and also some of its past behaviors elsehwhere — whether in the Palestinian areas or in Iraq — it certainly raises very serious questions and we are quite concerned about it," he said.

Tehran, which is also in a dispute with the West over its nuclear program, denies it is aiding the Taliban, calling the accusation part of a broad anti-Iranian campaign. Iran says it makes no sense that a Shiite-led government like itself would help the fundamentalist Sunni movement of the Taliban.

Burns acknowledged that it was "curious" that Iran would aid the Taliban.

"It's quite surprising," he told CNN. "The Iranians had said that they were the mortal enemies of the Taliban in 2001 and '02."

Burns did not give details on the scope of the alleged Iranian shipments, although he appeared to indicate that they were limited. "I don't think it's made a substantial difference in the greater theater of the war," he said.

"It is not going to turn the tide against us, but it is very troublesome, it is illegal under international law ... and the Iranians need to stop it," Burns told the AP.

Burns, who was holding talks in Paris, first accused Iran on Tuesday of transferring weapons to the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan — the most direct comments yet on the issue by a ranking American official.

In Afghanistan last week, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Iranian weapons were falling into the hands of anti-government Taliban fighters, but he stopped short of blaming Tehran.

And where do you think that puts us, when we funnel billions of tax dollars every year to Israel?
Besides backing the only stable democracy in the region, why don't you explain where it puts us. Or did you just stop by for a little Israel bashing?

Near as I can tell, the only source for this story are a couple of Bush adminstration officials. No concrete, independently verifiable evidence has been provided.

I simply can't trust what a couple bush adminstration political appointees say...not after WMDs, mushroom clouds, and imminent threat claims of the past few years.

The taliban and Iran are not exactly close friends. They are traditional enemies. Is it possible that iranian weapons are making their way to the taliban? Of course. But (unless we choose to accept the word of a couple Bush political appointees), they could be coming from rogue international arms dealers, rogue elements in iran not affiliated directly with the iranian goverment. Or, they could be coming with the direct support of the iranian goverment. We simply don't know. I would like independent, confirmation of this claim.

Besides backing the only stable democracy in the region, why don't you explain where it puts us. Or did you just stop by for a little Israel bashing?

It puts us in the spot of being an enemy to most all of the arab world. Didn't think I had to spell it out for you.

It puts us in the spot of being an enemy to most all of the arab world. Didn't think I had to spell it out for you.
Did not realize you could spell. I called you on your drive-by post because the obvious implication was that you do not agree with our support for Israel. Do you deny that? You are worried that America is an "enemy to most all of the Arab world," whatever that means. Do you mean Hamas and Hezbollah? Besides Syria, name the countries in the Arab world that are enemies of the US besides Syria. Iran is not a Arab country. Do you suggest ending support for Israel? Be specific.

Near as I can tell, the only source for this story are a couple of Bush adminstration officials. No concrete, independently verifiable evidence has been provided.

I simply can't trust what a couple bush adminstration political appointees say...not after WMDs, mushroom clouds, and imminent threat claims of the past few years.

The taliban and Iran are not exactly close friends. They are traditional enemies. Is it possible that iranian weapons are making their way to the taliban? Of course. But (unless we choose to accept the word of a couple Bush political appointees), they could be coming from rogue international arms dealers, rogue elements in iran not affiliated directly with the iranian goverment. Or, they could be coming with the direct support of the iranian goverment. We simply don't know. I would like independent, confirmation of this claim.

Like I said......

POLITICS-US: Cheney's Iran-Arms-to-Taliban Gambit Rebuffed
Analysis by Gareth Porter*

WASHINGTON, Jun 11 (IPS) - A media campaign portraying Iran as supplying arms to the Taliban guerrillas fighting U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, orchestrated by advocates of a more confrontational stance toward Iran in the George W. Bush administration, appears to have backfired last week when Defence Secretary Robert Gates and the commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, Gen. Dan McNeil, issued unusually strong denials.

The allegation that Iran has reversed a decade-long policy and is now supporting the Taliban, conveyed in a series of press articles quoting "senior officials" in recent weeks, is related to a broader effort by officials aligned with Vice President Dick Cheney to portray Iran as supporting Sunni insurgents, including al Qaeda, to defeat the United States in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=38123

Did not realize you could spell. I called you on your drive-by post because the obvious implication was that you do not agree with our support for Israel. Do you deny that? You are worried that America is an "enemy to most all of the Arab world," whatever that means. Do you mean Hamas and Hezbollah? Besides Syria, name the countries in the Arab world that are enemies of the US besides Syria. Iran is not a Arab country. Do you suggest ending support for Israel? Be specific.

I've been very specific before. You simply weren't listening.

because the obvious implication was that you do not agree with our support for Israel. Do you deny that?
I don't think we should be supporting Israel with billions in tax dollars. U.S. tax dollars shouldn't be used as welfare for other countries. Call me a conservative but I just don't believe the Federal government has any business taking money from our paychecks and giving it to foreign governments. Thats what charity is for. If people want to help the poor people of Africa, or the Zionist movement in Israel, whip our your checkbook...not mine.

You are worried that America is an "enemy to most all of the Arab world," whatever that means. Do you mean Hamas and Hezbollah? Besides Syria, name the countries in the Arab world that are enemies of the US besides Syria. Iran is not a Arab country.
OK sorry, most of the "muslim world" hates us. I'm worried about it to an extent, because I care about preventing such attacks on us like 9/11. We may not look at countries like Saudi Arabia as an 'enemy', but many of their citizens certainly do view us that way. I would hope that would be a concern for all of us.

Do you suggest ending support for Israel? Be specific.
I suggest we at least have an honest debate whether or not to continue pouring billions of our tax dollars to this country that is very well off economically on its own. I also don't think we should be telling all the surrounding countries that its a 'role model' of democracy when they openly prohibit immigration to non-Jews and force the Palestinians there to live in ghettos. No, I could really care less about the Palestinians, and I could also care less how Israel goes about its own business, but it is hypocritical to tell the muslim world that this 'democracy' is one they should imulate.
Now before you counter with the typical automated response that they are 'an ally', I'd like to ask you exactly what they have done for us being an 'ally'? Have they let us set up bases in Israel? Have they sent any troops in any of our wars? What do you think about the USS Liberty attack?

Be specific.

While it is true that the US sends billions of dollars of aid to Isreal, (a total of about $3b in 2006) it is vitally important to make sure there is a counter balance in the region to protect our interests. And remember, $1.2b of that aid is to help implement the Wye Accords (which is beneficial to the Palestinians as well as Isreal and the region as a whole.)
I don't believe that the Muslim world hates the US. With the exception of Syria and Iran, most Muslim countries are in support of the war on terror and Islamic Fascism in general, if only to protect their own regime.

Make no mistake Islamic Fascism IS an imperialistic movement. Dont believe the propoganda about the hate for America stems from our support of Isreal and invasion of Iraq in 1991. I am certain that the movement is only interested in regime change to strict Islamic fundamentalist dictorships (which are easy to control and manipulate as well as maintain power). This in turn would control the world's oil supply and effectively bring the west to its knees. This is the exact reason we supported the Iraqi dictatorship in their war against Iran.

On Iran, I am sure that they are sending arming insurgents and terrorists in both Iraq and Afghanistan. It IS in their interest. Do you believe that Iran wants US supported democracies on EITHER side of them? And what better time to fight the US in a war by proxy then when public support for the war is at its lowest? Food for thought.

While it is true that the US sends billions of dollars of aid to Isreal, (a total of about $3b in 2006) it is vitally important to make sure there is a counter balance in the region to protect our interests. And remember, $1.2b of that aid is to help implement the Wye Accords (which is beneficial to the Palestinians as well as Isreal and the region as a whole.)

Why is it vitally important to make sure there is a "counter balance" in the region? How is Israel being there "balance" anything going on there? Are they somehow limiting the power that Iran or other regimes can aquire?
Protect our interests? Exactly what interests are they protecting?
The 3 billion, whether it goes to Israel and/or Palestine, could sure as hell be better used here.

Zionism is a political movement based on race, religion, and land. I have no objections to anyone believing in this movement, but I am not going to believe it is vital to maintain my freedom in America.

What planet do you live on? The Iranian Muslim masters HATE Israel.

I live on Earth. The major reason for the call for the destruction of Israel is that it inhabits Arab land. Iranians are Persians, not Arabs; thus, no real dog in the fight.

Iran's official hatred for Israel is based on anti-semitism, not the traditional Arab argument.

Iran's fundamentalist government hates the US every bit as much as it hates Israel.

I would say a LOT more than they dislike they Taliban.

Why is it vitally important to make sure there is a "counter balance" in the region? How is Israel being there "balance" anything going on there? Are they somehow limiting the power that Iran or other regimes can aquire?
Protect our interests? Exactly what interests are they protecting?
The 3 billion, whether it goes to Israel and/or Palestine, could sure as hell be better used here.

Zionism is a political movement based on race, religion, and land. I have no objections to anyone believing in this movement, but I am not going to believe it is vital to maintain my freedom in America.

Several reason it protects YOUR interests:

1 - Invaluable intelligence information. Especially in these days where the fight is against Islamo-Fascism, the fact that Israel has agents around the Arab world AND are willing to share intel doesnt have a price.

2 - A democratic presence in the middle east and shared societal values.
This in and of itself brings a level of stability into a region littered wit corrupt dictatorships, extreme poverty, exteme militaristic views bent on keeping power (like the Republican Guard) or spreading a bastardized view of Jihad (Hamas, Hezbollah, PLO, Islamic Jihad, Iranian Basij, etc.). Oh and by the way, those are the guys who control the worlds oil supply.

3 - Technological and economic gains that have been adopted here at home. (Drip irrigation, instant messaging and the drug Copaxone, which treats MS, to name a few)

4 - A relative peace in the region based on superior firepower.

Furthermore, i find it interesting that you do not like the US support of Israel but mention nothing about the multi billion dollars we spend on aid and support for other countries, including Arab countries, with little or no return on our investment.

PS you signature doesnt make sense, you says you cant spell Liberal without lies but then you say vote Liberal...dont you mean vote conservative?

Some have expressed doubt about Iran arming the Taliban. Gates does not seem to have much doubt.

Gates: Iran Leaders Likely Know of Arms Shipments
By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY

Complete article: http://news.originalsignal.com/article/358373/gates-iran-leaders-likely-know-of-arms-shipments.html

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany — Iran's government likely knows about the shipment of weapons from Iran to Taliban militants in Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wednesday.

Gates said the volume of weapons shipments makes it "difficult to believe" they're coming from smugglers "or that it's taking place without the knowledge of the Iranian government."

However, Gates said, there is no specific intelligence linking the Iranian government to the shipments.

He made the comments on his way to a NATO conference in Brussels where he said he would encourage allies to meet earlier pledges to boost the alliance's mission in Afghanistan.

I disagree

#1 Israel is not arab land, do a little history brother. The west bank and gaza were not the original names, and 2,000 years ago, the jews, were the first to control it before muslim and christian invaders stole it. The only arabs there, were nomads, not palestinians.

Secondly, iran, and most of the arab world is MUSLIM, this has nothing to do with race, its a religious issue. Until every jew and christian are dead, irans government and islamo nazi terrorists wont be happy. I think the muslims hate the jews a bit more rememeber, you get a choice, convert or die, I simply get killed, for being a jew. So I think they hate me a little bit more... And the anti-semitism is the middle east is more vile then it was in the 1930's in europe, and while they hate christians, I think they hate us just a bit more. So I think youre wrong, iran is a pitbull/rotweiler mix. Iran hates u.s. more then sunni's, so they want to kick america out of middle east, so they can focus on taking over europe and then america. Do a little research, and youll see im right on this one, I dont normally claim im right, but this is my passion and i research history of the muslims and their conquest, I know what im talking about... :), even with every jew leaving israel, theyre still gonna try and take over the world (islamo nazi terrorists, who kill muslims who dont bow down to them as well, so no politically corect liberal b.s. about , its not all of them, no shit sherlocki :eusa_naughty: )

I live on Earth. The major reason for the call for the destruction of Israel is that it inhabits Arab land. Iranians are Persians, not Arabs; thus, no real dog in the fight.

Iran's official hatred for Israel is based on anti-semitism, not the traditional Arab argument.

Iran's fundamentalist government hates the US every bit as much as it hates Israel.

I would say a LOT more than they dislike they Taliban.

Several reason it protects YOUR interests:

1 - Invaluable intelligence information. Especially in these days where the fight is against Islamo-Fascism, the fact that Israel has agents around the Arab world AND are willing to share intel doesnt have a price.
Britian and France and other allies share the same intel, do we need to pay them billions? Do we not also share our intel with Israel?

2 - A democratic presence in the middle east and shared societal values.
This in and of itself brings a level of stability into a region littered wit corrupt dictatorships, extreme poverty, exteme militaristic views bent on keeping power (like the Republican Guard) or spreading a bastardized view of Jihad (Hamas, Hezbollah, PLO, Islamic Jihad, Iranian Basij, etc.). Oh and by the way, those are the guys who control the worlds oil supply.
You're living in a dream world if you believe Israel's presence brings "stability" to the region. All it has done is cause chaos. How many of the societies in the ME have overthrown their dictatorships or taken steps to eliminate poverty by using Israel as their example? How has their presence in any way curbed the spread of the Jihadist ideology? Jihadism has exploded since 1947.
What does oil supply have to do with it? Those countrys are just as dependant on selling oil to sustain themselves just as much as we are dependant on buying it.

3 - Technological and economic gains that have been adopted here at home. (Drip irrigation, instant messaging and the drug Copaxone, which treats MS, to name a few)
WTF are you talking about? We should be sending Israel billions in tax dollars because of drip irrigation?

4 - A relative peace in the region based on superior firepower.
"A relative peace in the region"? Are you kidding? The ME is the most violent and ass-backwards barbaric place on the planet. Israel's "superior firepower" didn't prevent any of the things Saddam did, and certainly isn't slowing down what Iran is doing now.
Edit: And now there's pretty much an all out civil war going on between the savages in Palestine, right in the middle of Israel. Yup, that relative peace is working just fine.

Furthermore, i find it interesting that you do not like the US support of Israel but mention nothing about the multi billion dollars we spend on aid and support for other countries, including Arab countries, with little or no return on our investment.
As I stated before, we should not be giving tax money to ANY country. Israel, Muslim, African, Asian, Europeon. So don't try to spin my words to make it sound like I approve of any of our cash going to Arab countries.

PS you signature doesnt make sense, you says you cant spell Liberal without lies but then you say vote Liberal...dont you mean vote conservative?

Its called sarcasm.

Forum List

Back