Iowa eacher eats only McDonald's for 3 months

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
One month was bad, three must be suicide, right?

Contrary to popular belief, following a diet of exclusively fast food does not necessarily lead to weight gain, as one man recently discovered.
John Cisna, a high school biology teacher from Ankeny, Iowa, told KCCI that he documented the changes his body underwent throughout the three months that he ate nothing but McDonald's - with very surprising results.
Rather than his body deteriorating like the star of 2004 documentary Super Size Me, Mr Cisna lost an impressive 37lbs and saw his cholesterol drop from 249 to 170, improving his health significantly.

Forget Super Size Me: Man loses 37lbs by eating only McDonald's | Mail Online

Depends mostly on what he actually ate.

He also says he started walking 45 minutes a day after he started on the McDonalds diet, which would have contributed.

Last edited:
Nothing groundbreaking here. If you eat a manged diet it doesn't matter where it comes from. You'll lose weight.

Weight will always be a simple function of calories consumed vs calories burned. Burn more than you eat, and you lose weight.

Nutrition, however; is a different animal. There was a guy a few years ago who lost something like 30 pounds eating just Twinkies. However, I would have hated to see what his blood chemistry looked like.

He doesn't say what he ate..so this is meaningless without that info.
He also stated he began exercising...so...yeah.
It goes without saying that if he ate what most people order from McDonalds - he would certainly NOT lose wait:

Breakfast...
Egg Mcmuffin, hash round and OJ.......630 calories with 20% daily fat intake.
Lunch...
Big Mac, Med. Fry and Med. coke.....1160 calories with 71% daily fat intake.
Dinner...
Chicken Sandwhich, Med. Fry and Med. Coke......980 calories with 49% daily fat intake.

No deserts..absolutely no snacks all day...and only water between meals.
2,740 calories....with 40% OVER recommended daily fat intake.

yeah...lose weight my ass.

He started out at 280 pounds (127KG) 51 inch stomach that is huge!!!!!!

Of course he will lose weight by virtue of eating less.

Have you heard about the Big King? Burger King ripped off the Big Mac. And it's awful.

The whopper's still great though :dunno:

I will go to fast food joints once or twice a year and I do prefer Burger King. I like the flavor of charbroiled over fried, fortunately...:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3SV-1L_y4#t=32]Teacher loses 39lbs with 90 day McDonald's only diet - YouTube[/ame]

Contrary to popular belief, following a diet of exclusively fast food does not necessarily lead to weight gain, as one man recently discovered.
John Cisna, a high school biology teacher from Ankeny, Iowa, told KCCI that he documented the changes his body underwent throughout the three months that he ate nothing but McDonald's - with very surprising results.
Rather than his body deteriorating like the star of 2004 documentary Super Size Me, Mr Cisna lost an impressive 37lbs and saw his cholesterol drop from 249 to 170, improving his health significantly.

If you count calories you can eat out all the time and not gain weight. There are websites that tell you how. You will find them if you look.

If you count calories you can eat out all the time and not gain weight. There are websites that tell you how. You will find them if you look.

I agree, but that is the epitome of laziness and sloth may speak to the physical condition to be begin with. Nothing like a home cooked meal where I know what ingredients are in my food.

Most of my lunches are fast food meals, and I could honestly say that I don't feel the same sense of fullness after lunch as I do after supper with a home cooked meal. Eating a home cooked meal will usually have more calories than a burger and fries, so it only makes sense that one will lose weight eating only fast food. Unless of course you supersize your drinks and order triple burgers.

And when he approached his local McDonald's franchise about the experiment, the manager was so interested to see what happened that he agreed to provide 90 days of meals at no charge.

'The point behind this documentary is it's our choices that make us fat, not McDonald's'

On a typical day, Mr Cisna ate two egg white delights, a bowl of maple oatmeal and one percent milk for breakfast, and lunch would normally be a salad.

But it wasn't just 'healthy' fast food that he ate; for dinner he would indulge in a value meal like a Big Mac or a quarter pounder with cheese, and he'd also sometimes snack on ice cream sundaes.

Despite his all-fast food diet, Mr Cisna was in significantly better health by the 90th day.
Hat's off to him for his determination, and to be able to stay within the calorie count. Also the fact that he got his meals for free for 3 months also helps.

New Topics

Forum List

Back