Involuntary commitment

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
She fought for patients rights then she was put in a hospital against her will - The Washington Post

Not sure what the laws are in NC. I have never been involuntarily committed.I am not bipolar, my problem is recurring major depression with delusional paranoia.

The woman in the article was held longer because she does not bath regularly,,,, I have that to. Maybe once every couple months I take a shower, usually because my wife forces me too.

The therapist is always trying to get me to shower it is one of my goals I have never met. Even when I am not depressed I do not like to shower. Sometimes I am not sure why other times I thin it is because by showering I admit to myself I am going to continue to live.

I have suicidal thoughts all the time. Don't get me wrong they are under control, because of my medications. But basically I don't want to be alive. I stay because I am the main provider for my family with out me they could not make ends meet .

This Country needs to change how it sees and reacts to mental health issues.

I firmly believe talking about the issues and the conditions of ones illness can help. I know that at times it simply is not possible for those that are sick to do so, but believe that learning to explore ones illness and talk about problems or situations or just anything can help.

I know it hasn't been that long since I posted this but let me make a prediction..... this thread will get very little traffic. Mostly because talking about mental health is frowned on and makes people uncomfortable.

She fought for patients rights then she was put in a hospital against her will - The Washington Post

Not sure what the laws are in NC. I have never been involuntarily committed.I am not bipolar, my problem is recurring major depression with delusional paranoia.

The woman in the article was held longer because she does not bath regularly,,,, I have that to. Maybe once every couple months I take a shower, usually because my wife forces me too.

The therapist is always trying to get me to shower it is one of my goals I have never met. Even when I am not depressed I do not like to shower. Sometimes I am not sure why other times I thin it is because by showering I admit to myself I am going to continue to live.

I have suicidal thoughts all the time. Don't get me wrong they are under control, because of my medications. But basically I don't want to be alive. I stay because I am the main provider for my family with out me they could not make ends meet .

This Country needs to change how it sees and reacts to mental health issues.
I feel a desire to reach out to you with sympathy and solidarity with your suffering. Water traditionally is a symbol of 'grace" or Spiritual power... I have always felt better when I am down by showering and imagining the cleansing power of grace or spiritual energy washing away my troubles..... it is not necessary to look for death...it will find all of us by and by ....please read my signature....

I know it hasn't been that long since I posted this but let me make a prediction..... this thread will get very little traffic. Mostly because talking about mental health is frowned on and makes people uncomfortable.

I'm no expert, but I think you are on the right track, wanting to talk about it.

I firmly believe talking about the issues and the conditions of ones illness can help. I know that at times it simply is not possible for those that are sick to do so, but believe that learning to explore ones illness and talk about problems or situations or just anything can help.

is the va helping?

is the va helping?
I don't use the VA I have a private doctor and therapist. But they pay me disability so yes they are helping.

I believe that you will rip the heavy troubles keeping water's grace out of your life off the floor . I believe you will throw those troubles through the limiting obstacles and walk off into beautiful Freedom....

Geez, Gunny, I'm so sorry to hear that you suffer like this. I'm a pinko commie Marxist liberal who hates America but I know therapy takes time and I hope you get the treatment you need and it gets better. It isn't just your family who needs you around; who are we liberals going to hate if you aren't there to stop us from turning America into a communist, Muslim country full of married gays and illegal immigrants?

Hang in there. Esprit de Corps, Semper Fidelis, and Oorah!

Geez, Gunny, I'm so sorry to hear that you suffer like this. I'm a pinko commie Marxist liberal who hates America but I know therapy takes time and I hope you get the treatment you need and it gets better. It isn't just your family who needs you around; who are we liberals going to hate if you aren't there to stop us from turning America into a communist, Muslim country full of married gays and illegal immigrants?

Have had this problem my whole life I just had it under control until Dec 1994. Once I broke it was bad till 2004 when we found the right mix of meds. I am in no danger of suicide I just don't want to be here but understand I have to stay. My Navy doctor told me that as sick as I was I never should have finished boot camp much less serve almost 16 years and make Gunny.

Have had this problem my whole life I just had it under control until Dec 1994. Once I broke it was bad till 2004 when we found the right mix of meds. I am in no danger of suicide I just don't want to be here but understand I have to stay. My Navy doctor told me that as sick as I was I never should have finished boot camp much less serve almost 16 years and make Gunny.
I would have to say that it is proof you possess extraordinary resiliency and strength ! !
I bet that if you and I were in water and I was to try and drown you by holding your head under water that you would hurt me fighting to prevent me from doing that to you...that is how strong your desire to live would be

Most problems people have are their own doing. That may sound cold but it's the truth if you think about it. Just use logic and reason more and quit letting emotions guide you. Take the showering thing for example, there are good reasons to bath regularly and none not to.

The brain forms pathways that we choose to use, focus on problems and your problems will grow. Focus on solutions and you'll have more solutions than problems. And don't rule out the possibility that the meds are doing more harm than good. They may be helping, or they may make things worse.

Most problems people have are their own doing. That may sound cold but it's the truth if you think about it. Just use logic and reason more and quit letting emotions guide you. Take the showering thing for example, there are good reasons to bath regularly and none not to.

The brain forms pathways that we choose to use, focus on problems and your problems will grow. Focus on solutions and you'll have more solutions than problems. And don't rule out the possibility that the meds are doing more harm than good. They may be helping, or they may make things worse.
Lets see, I can not take meds and spend most of my time fighting the urge to kill myself and being heavily depressed, or I can take my meds and control all those thoughts.

I've had bouts of clinical depression since I was a kid..My Mom sent me to a shrink, but I lied about the reason for my condition because in the 1960's it was a belief that those that needed mental health were weak and discarded with pills..
getting to my 50's my health faded and I lost my ability to work at my trades and felt all was lost and my life is over...And my wife left me during the 12 years I struggled to work and keep my business afloat..I started drinking booze again a got a DWI....Which only compounded my financial problems...I had a nervous break down the last spring...But today I am better....miracle? No... I fell back upon what has always helped me, my sons...and believe it or not, pot helped with the problems I was dealing with by allowing me to relax and look at my problems from another angle....It was time to get busy again and keep my mind active and away from the depression I am afflicted with...lousy jokes help also...

Lets see, I can not take meds and spend most of my time fighting the urge to kill myself and being heavily depressed, or I can take my meds and control all those thoughts.
I thought you said you were too depressed to even take a shower? Have you tried different meds or doctors? Also, how physical are you and what diet do you have? Without proper nutrition and exercise you will be fighting a losing battle.

Iceweasel, for the most part I agree with all this. Yet I still think there are brain "illnesses" you cant will yourself out of. People would never say to a cancer patient "kill those cancer cells with only positive thinking and logic".

That's hard core and an accomplishment even without the illness. I served four years and had had enough, despite what the career counselor staff sergeant tried to do to get me to re-up. And I was an 0151 pogue who had it easy at mainside.

I thought you said you were too depressed to even take a shower? Have you tried different meds or doctors? Also, how physical are you and what diet do you have? Without proper nutrition and exercise you will be fighting a losing battle.
Without the meds I am 500 percent worse.

Iceweasel, for the most part I agree with all this. Yet I still think there are brain "illnesses" you cant will yourself out of. People would never say to a cancer patient "kill those cancer cells with only positive thinking and logic".
Yes, I know. I also know there was a time I would have gone that route and am glad I didn't and got productive instead. Some people do need meds but in my opinion it should be the last resort due to other complications, there seems to always be a trade off.

My belief is that a lot of these cases (I don't know the OP so am not saying him specifically) are somewhat self fulfilling prophecies. If you mope around and dwell on your problems the problems will seem bigger. If you get busy and focus on solutions your problems will seem smaller. Been there done that.

I guess my main point is that meds can only do so much and I'm a big believer in nutrition, it's the fuel for your body and brain.

Forum List

Back