Internal Link https?

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
I have my USMB configured to 50 posts per page.

In convo contact, I sent someone a link to a posting from someone else. The link made no sense to the recipient, it brought him to an entirely different posting.

Are there link problems with postings, depending on how an individual configures is USMB?

For instance, this posting of mine from the Cappucino Corral in the Lounge, posting no. 2080, is listed as being on page 42. For those who set their USMB to 10 posts per page, it would be page 208. For those who set their USMB to 20 posts per page, that would be page 104.

Here is the link:

The Cappucino Corral Page 42 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

please click on the link and see if it takes you to posting number 2080....

It takes me to my page 42. It does not take me to post 2080. If you want someone to see a certain post, can you quote it and give them the thread link and post # since each of us have our preferences?

I know. I was just trying to find a way around it forbyou. Just give the link, after quoting the post and tell them the post number. Or ask them to change the page preferences to yours so it would go right to it.

You can link directly to any post, which bypasses that particular problem. Click on the post number in the top right corner of the post, and it should bring up a dialog box from which you can cut and paste the link. It'll even put it in BBCode for you, if you want.

Like so: The Cappucino Corral Page 208 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Hover over the link, and notice the link itself is to the post, not the thread.

• Banned
You can link directly to any post, which bypasses that particular problem. Click on the post number in the top right corner of the post, and it should bring up a dialog box from which you can cut and paste the link. It'll even put it in BBCode for you, if you want.

Like so: The Cappucino Corral Page 208 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

What I had been already doing was to right-click on the number at the right corner of the post - the number that you mean - and click on "copy link address". So, they are not the same?

Thank you for the information.

What I had been already doing was to right-click on the number at the right corner of the post - the number that you mean - and click on "copy link address". So, they are not the same?

I've never tried it that way, but I guess it's not the same. I'm still learning the new board software myself.

• Banned

I've never tried it that way, but I guess it's not the same. I'm still learning the new board software myself.

theDoctorisIn

Here, I am going to do an experiment. I just picked posting no. 252 from what is my page 6 of the one CDZ thread about First Lady Obama. Gracie - it has nothing to do with you personally, I just happened to fly over that thread.

Variant 1: I have simply right clicked on the number at the right and copied the link address that way:

CDZ - Michelle Obama may be the most beautiful First lady ever Page 6 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Variant 2: here I did it the way you recommended:

Michelle Obama may be the most beautiful First lady ever

I can tell right now that the two links are not the same.

Please go to them and tell me if you land at the same place. I bet you won't. I bet that the top one will take you to YOUR page 6 (since you configured USMB differently) instead of MY page 6.

If that is the case, this would be a good thing to get fixed with the next software upgrade, because frankly it is much easier to just right click on the number and copy the link that is embedded in that number. It shouldn't matter if you right click on the number associated with a posting or if you fully click on it - it should bring you to exactly the same http link, I would think.

One thing is guaranteed: since the smallest option is 10 posts per page, then guaranteed the first ten posts of any thread will show up correctly, regardless of method used to get an http link.

cereal_killer

Well hell..if yer gonna tag me, better bring a bottle of expensive wine or you ain't getting anywhere with me. :lol:

Well hell..if yer gonna tag me, better bring a bottle of expensive wine or you ain't getting anywhere with me. :lol:

pianoro-montepulciano-d-abruzzo-doc-rotwein-italien-a61130_x.jpg

BTW, have I ever told you how lovely your avis are?.....
And how lusciously tempting your sig lines are?.....

:D

Yep. Variant 1 does not work. Variant 2 does.

The experiment was a success!!!

I have proven that the Universe is broken, broken, broken!! :lol:

Oh, cereal_killer .... software update, mebbe??

So Statistikhengst if the PROPER way to open the door is to turn the knob and push the door open, but you like to just push through the door without turning the knob, there's something wrong with the door? Help me understand this

Sure. One of the best shortcuts is simply right-click and get the link that way. It's standard procedure all over the place. Why should it be different here, and why should a different link show up per right-click and "copy link" than by a direct click and go through all of that rigamarole? Who is to say that my way is not the proper way, and your way is not the knuckle-dragger way? Hmmm???

The point I am making is: shouldn't the links be identical? If the number at the upper right-hand corner of a posting is hyperlinked to direct links to that specific posting, why does one method produce one link, whilst another produces a different link?

Are you understanding where I am coming from?

Statistikhengst By right clicking and choosing "copy link address" that link is specific to YOUR set-up and Browser. So lets say you are right clicking post #50. Post #50 resides at a specific page and URL for YOU (browser dependent) so the right click is doing exactly what its supposed to do. Copying the link as it see's it in YOUR browser.

Clicking the the post number however is a whole other thing. By clicking the post number you are now bringing up a permanent link that is independent of all the different variables. The permalink is generated by the software NOT your browser.

They are entirely two different things. Right clicking is BROWSER dependent (as it should be) clicking the perma-link is SOFTWARE dependent (as it should be)

New Topics

Forum List

Back