Intensive tax audits by IRS

It is. So, why would you be ok with the IRS forcing tax payers to do a random audit that is only designed to give the IRS internal data to use? Is it fair that they force people to pay for a tax lawyer due to these random audits?
Because just like in business where audits are mandatory for large companies, random audits prevents a lot of wide spread cheating. IRS random audits puts everyone on notice that if they cheat and are found out the penalties can be severe. So it prevents a ton of smaller tax payers from widespread cheating in my estimation. There will still be some who take the chance and cheat anyway of course.

Your second question has some merit, imo. Maybe if the audit findings were so minimal the govt. would cover legal costs. That would be fair, but I doubt that will ever happen. Given that, I still prefer they are conducted to prevent a far greater financial loss to the U.S. tax payers if smaller tax payers had no fear of ever being audited.

Because just like in business where audits are mandatory for large companies, random audits prevents a lot of wide spread cheating. IRS random audits puts everyone on notice that if they cheat and are found out the penalties can be severe. So it prevents a ton of smaller tax payers from widespread cheating in my estimation. There will still be some who take the chance and cheat anyway of course.

Your second question has some merit, imo. Maybe if the audit findings were so minimal the govt. would cover legal costs. That would be fair, but I doubt that will ever happen. Given that, I still prefer they are conducted to prevent a far greater financial loss to the U.S. tax payers if smaller tax payers had no fear of ever being audited.

But they are not doing them to look for cheating. They are nothing more than an I.R.S. research program to learn to determine what they call the tax gap.

Would you be ok with the DEA randomly coming to people's homes to make sure they are not dealing drugs?

Would you be ok with the DEA randomly coming to people's homes to make sure they are not dealing drugs?
They were at my home. I was dealing drugs. Pot. <----- close enough to the real story.

Even though we have every reason to clash on every issue, I will concede you have good points on this one. My concern is that if there were no random IRS audits on smaller tax payers, the US govt would probably lose out another $100 billion a year or more because no one would be afraid to cheat.

They were at my home. I was dealing drugs. Pot. <----- close enough to the real story.

Even though we have every reason to clash on every issue, I will concede you have good points on this one. My concern is that if there were no random IRS audits on smaller tax payers, the US govt would probably lose out another $100 billion a year or more because no one would be afraid to cheat.

They have other ways to find cheaters. They some how figured out I paid $109.00 too less in 2021 and already sent me a bill for it.

But then again, this is the same group of people that cashed my check in April of 2020 and then in Nov of 2020 garnished my wages for not filing taxes in 2020. When called about it I was told that two separate departments handle the cashing of checks and the reporting of filed taxes. Turns out there were also 2 other years they said I did not file going back to 2013, yet they some how just noticed. Had to spend more than 3 grand on a tax lawyer and am still waiting for them to look at what was submitted by me to prove I have always filed my taxes.

So, the NY Times published an article about Comey and McCabe both being "randomly" chosen for this rare type of audit.

Now, while I have little doubt they were targeted, that misses the bigger story.

I watched a tax expert explain these audits yesterday, and they are used by the IRS to determine the difference between how much people are being taxed and how much is being paid. It is an internal system for their own analysis. People are chosen at random and they then have to undergo the most intensive audit the IRS does. Not because they are suspected of wrong doing or had an error on their taxes, but just because.

People end up paying thousands to tax lawyers to help them. The story last night said that Comey had to provide a copy of the family Christmas card to show as evidence his kids really lived with him the year he said they did.

People like Comey can afforded it, but the average Joe is just screwed.

Yet it goes on every year, year in year out no matter who is in the White House, no matter how controls Congress.

Thus this is not a party issue, it is not a left vs right issue.

It is a "what they hell" issue. Why is this even legal?
It is an abuse of power

Two of Trump's "enemies" became the target of these very rare audits.

There is no way that can be claimed as "random"

It is an abuse of power

Two of Trump's "enemies" became the target of these very rare audits.

There is no way that can be claimed as "random"

They are not actually the topic of the thread.

It is the fact that these audits exist at all.

Can you address that?

They are not actually the topic of the thread.

It is the fact that these audits exist at all.

Can you address that?
Sorry but MY issue is how these supposedly random audits are used against political opponents

That is a blatant abuse of power

Trump had Comey and his replacement audited… or it was done to please him.

Purely political and the kind of thing that happens in dictatorial nations like Russia

That should be answered for

Sorry but MY issue is how these supposedly random audits are used against political opponents

That is a blatant abuse of power

Trump had Comey and his replacement audited… or it was done to please him.

Purely political and the kind of thing that happens in dictatorial nations like Russia

That should be answered for

I care far more about the average 5000 or so American citizens that are subjected to these audits each year even though there is no evidence of wrong doing.

It is really no different than if the police just showed up at your house and said they are doing a random search for illegal drugs and you have to let them dig through your house

I care far more about the average 5000 or so American citizens that are subjected to these audits each year even though there is no evidence of wrong doing.

It is really no different than if the police just showed up at your house and said they are doing a random search for illegal drugs and you have to let them dig through your house
So the abuse of power that allows political opponents to be targeted by these audits doesn't bother you?

So the abuse of power that allows political opponents to be targeted by these audits doesn't bother you?

not as much as what is inflicted upon 5000 to 6000 US citizens each year.

Would you allow the police to search your house on a random drug search just because they picked yours house at random?

not as much as what is inflicted upon 5000 to 6000 US citizens each year.

Would you allow the police to search your house on a random drug search just because they picked yours house at random?
I understand your concern and I agree with it

But I find the fact that an Administration is using these audits to attack an "enemies list" or political opponents ie. Comey and McCabe...to be CHILLING

I understand your concern and I agree with it

But I find the fact that an Administration is using these audits to attack an "enemies list" or political opponents ie. Comey and McCabe...to be CHILLING

Sure, just like it was when the Obama Admin used the IRS to target Conservative non-profits.

Sure, just like it was when the Obama Admin used the IRS to target Conservative non-profits.
You know that's not true.

A. There was no link to the Obama Admin

B. Conservative non-profits got the same scrutiny that liberal ones did...and in fact the only one denied tax exempt status was a liberal org.

You know that's not true.

A. There was no link to the Obama Admin

B. Conservative non-profits got the same scrutiny that liberal ones did...and in fact the only one denied tax exempt status was a liberal org.

A. There is no link to the Trump admin in this story.

B. Then why did the IRS issue an official apology?

A. There is no link to the Trump admin in this story.
As I noted. But it's awfully convenient that out of only 5,000 of these audits...two of them just happened to be of people Trump has targeted. Is he implicated or was this just done blindly to please him? Either way it's chilling
B. Then why did the IRS issue an official apology?
Because they demanded one.

Are you really unaware that lib orgs got scrutinized in the same way?

Are you really unaware that lib orgs got scrutinized in the same way?

Even the IRS admits this was not the case.

Or maybe the IRS is lying and you are correct.

So, the NY Times published an article about Comey and McCabe both being "randomly" chosen for this rare type of audit.

Now, while I have little doubt they were targeted, that misses the bigger story.

I watched a tax expert explain these audits yesterday, and they are used by the IRS to determine the difference between how much people are being taxed and how much is being paid. It is an internal system for their own analysis. People are chosen at random and they then have to undergo the most intensive audit the IRS does. Not because they are suspected of wrong doing or had an error on their taxes, but just because.

People end up paying thousands to tax lawyers to help them. The story last night said that Comey had to provide a copy of the family Christmas card to show as evidence his kids really lived with him the year he said they did.

People like Comey can afforded it, but the average Joe is just screwed.

Yet it goes on every year, year in year out no matter who is in the White House, no matter how controls Congress.

Thus this is not a party issue, it is not a left vs right issue.

It is a "what they hell" issue. Why is this even legal?
Comey and Mccabe were hunted just like Hunter Biden was hunted in 2018 by no other than tramp.

New Topics

Forum List

Back