Instant View: Jobless Claims Fall to Lowest in Four and a Half Years

Aug 7, 2012

By REUTERS

Published: October 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week to the lowest level in more than four and a half years, according government data on Thursday that suggested improvement in the labor market.

COMMENTS:

BRIAN KIM, CURRENCY STRATEGIST, RBS SECURITIES, STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT

"This is a positive signal for the economy. The overall trend seems to be that the labor market is improving."

PETER CARDILLO, CHIEF MARKET ECONOMIST, ROCKWELL GLOBAL CAPITAL, NEW YORK

"This is a lot better-than-expected. It's a number that is somewhat of a surprise and the market is going to react positively. It shows the trend that the labor market is slightly improving."

JORDAN WAXMAN, MANAGING DIRECTOR AND PARTNER AT HIGHTOWER IN NEW YORK

"Claims looked pretty strong, definitely a big drop down. We're starting to hear noise about companies hiring, and that's what the market is waiting for. Without labor market improvement, we can't get a sustainable rally. The numbers seem to be moving in the right direction."
:clap2::clap2::thewave::dance:

LINK

how many people ran out of the benefits?

thats what I was about to say! Ran out or gave up! There is only so much and so long you can do about these benefits. I guess, maybe, they are part of the welfare club now.. " No you ran out of unemployment money. But here is a ebt card, your first welfare check and a phone :clap2:

By REUTERS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week to the lowest level in more than four and a half years, according government data on Thursday that suggested improvement in the labor market.

COMMENTS:

"This is a positive signal for the economy. The overall trend seems to be that the labor market is improving."

"This is a lot better-than-expected. It's a number that is somewhat of a surprise and the market is going to react positively. It shows the trend that the labor market is slightly improving."

"Claims looked pretty strong, definitely a big drop down. We're starting to hear noise about companies hiring, and that's what the market is waiting for. Without labor market improvement, we can't get a sustainable rally. The numbers seem to be moving in the right direction."

LINK

Once the remaining unemployed give up, then the unemployment rate will be 0%!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the report that is based on INCOMPLETE reporting from the State of California?

The one that got published ANYWAY?

Something -- you know -- all reliable and shit?

You lib hacks are lacking in any hint of credibility.

just pushign their agenda to prove to the people who wont listen

"we want this country destroyed and we wont stop til its accomplished"

... Jobless Claims Fall to Lowest in Four and a Half Years ...
--and that means over the past four years we've seen a million workers dropped from unemployment insurance...
fredgraph.png

...which doesn't change the fact that 2.3 million fewer people are working even while the working age population's increased by 9.2 million. This adds up to the fact that we could create 11.5 million new jobs and still not lower the unemployment rate. The press will try to use the unchanged rate as 'proof' that Romney is a miserable failure, but we'll know better.

A sharp drop in the number of weekly jobless claims filed last week was caused by the failure of one large state to report all of its claims, a Labor Department spokesman confirmed to FOX Business.

Initial jobless claims, which are a measure of the number of people recently laid off, fell by 30,000 to a seasonally adjusted 339,000, the lowest level in more than four years.

But the Labor Department spokesman said the numbers were skewed by one large state that underreported its data. The spokesman declined to identify the state, but economists believe California is the only state large enough to have such a significant impact on the overall numbers.

According to the spokesman, the reason that state’s claims numbers fell short was because the state left out a pile of unprocessed claims related to seasonal factors around the beginning of the fourth quarter, which began Oct. 1.

In a research note, Stephen Stanley of Pierpont Securities summed up the data: “In short, this reading is worthless in terms of informing on the general economy.”

Read more: Jobless Claims Data Skewed Downward | Fox Business

The theme song for courseofhistory and similarly inclined mindless lib sheep drone hacks:

I Believe, I Do
Words and Music by Tom Paxton

I Believe, I do, I believe its true.
I believe exactly what they tell me to.
I believe, I do. I believe its true.
I’m a simple guy, I believe.

Oh the building inspector came around,
And he poked his head inside my door
Just as the plaster missed his head
Then he smiled and said,
“Well the building looks quite safe to me."

And I believe, I do, I believe its true.

The politician told me just the other day,
That he really didn’t want the job at all,
But he would make this sacrifice for me,
If I would only place my trust in him.

And I believe, I do. I believe its true.

And the labor leader told his membership,
That his limousine was no extravagance at all.
His cocktail parties at Miami Beach,
Merely helped him roll the Union on.

And I believe, I do. I believe its true.

The Commissioner of Public Safety called,
On the people to support their local cops,
Who never ever use any extra force,
When a kindly word would do as well.

And I Believe, I do. I believe its true.

And there seem to be even more believers than ever these days.

By REUTERS

COMMENTS:

LINK

Maybe Ryan will bring up this bogus leftist media garbage in the debate tonight when he ass-kicks Biden through the fucking goal posts.

Yeah pretty disturbing that this is released without one of the states reporting. Do they release incomplete reports often? Why would you even claim that it is accurate?

Yeah pretty disturbing that this is released without one of the states reporting. Do they release incomplete reports often? Why would you even claim that it is accurate?

California did report, and it reported over 2,000 more claims than the previous week. It might not have managed to report all claims, but that will be inclueded in the revision next week.

Yes, missing or incomplete data happens all the time, that's why it's revised.

No, they can't delay the reporting, they MUST report every Thursday.

By REUTERS

LINK

Maybe Ryan will bring up this bogus leftist media garbage in the debate tonight when he ass-kicks Biden through the fucking goal posts.
Did not work that way. Ryan just spent the night looking like he had just swallowed a turd.

The Democrats want to pretend the world began in 2009....as does NYT/MSNBC/ABC/CBS etc. etc. Most of their graphs and comparative analysis begins in 2009 - which will show an improvement in every category.
But that is of course disingenuous. If you want to correctly measure the success of a recovery - then you measure the data against the worst point ---AND--- also the point before the recession.
They like to leave that part out.

There are less people in the workforce than ever and more people on food stamps than ever and you sheep are hip hip hooraying the fact that jobless claims while still a net positive have decreased.

nero2003.gif

New Topics

Forum List

Back