Instant pot...

The few people I know who have one hardly ever use it.

Seems like a waste of money to me

The few people I know who have one hardly ever use it.

Seems like a waste of money to me
Depends on the user.
People who can't cook very well, won't cook very well with this either.
There is a learning curve as well, and most people think all you do is put food in, push a button and magically a fantastic meal appears. No.
80% of what makes a person a great cook, is that they love cooking. No appliance will ever change that.

I use mine for cooking dry beans. Don't have to pre-soak them and they cook up in no time.

Great for making stock as well. Much quicker than stove top methods.

I like to make "Italian" meat sauce in it as well if I'm using a very lean ground beef. Texture of the meat is noticeably different when cooked in the pressure cooker and it's a texture I prefer.

I use mine for beans, eggs, and very occasionally try something else. Haven't really been impressed with it, except for the beans and eggs.

After so many years of feeling that the Instant Pot was a fad and resisting adding one to my kitchen, I now consider it to be one of my most valuable kitchen tools.

After so many years of feeling that the Instant Pot was a fad and resisting adding one to my kitchen, I now consider it to be one of my most valuable kitchen tools.
For years I never bought one because I thought they were just another kitchen appliance for folks that can't cook. Had zero interest in one.
Until someone whom I respect their culinary skills said he loves his, talked about usage etc.
Then I got one.
It is not just another appliance. It is a solid tool, and cooks very well for what it is intended.

Short Ribs in an instant pot? - why yes I will!
Like so many recipes I have looked at for these things, cooking method/times are absolutely all over the place. It is little wonder why these things end up taking up counter space and never used.
So once again, I try a method that makes sense to me.
Here is what I did, and they turned out beautiful.

Dry rubbed with simple salt and pepper. Short ribs are packed with flavor, in my opinion, dry rubbing with spice mixtures is unnecessary and interferes with the natural flavor of this excellent cut.
Put the device on saute and waited until it was as hot as it gets, and placed them in, 4 at a time and browned all sides. Brown well, when you think they are browned well...do it a few minutes longer. Well browned.
After that, I put in about a half of a stout beer, 2-3 shakes of worcester sauce and scraped the bottom well to deglaze the bottom to get all of that goodness. Reduced for about 5 minutes, then added 1 1/2 cup of water. Added a half can of tomato paste (the small cans) and about a TB of Italian seasoning. Pressure cooked on high for 45 minutes. Then let it self depressurize for another 10 minutes before releasing what little pressure was left.
Removed the ribs, which I knew were well braised because they fell apart easily.
Took a paper towel and carefully (it's hot!) blotted up some of the excess fat. Then put the device back on saute, added a TB of corn starch/water mixture to thicken the sauce.
This method did better than any short ribs I have done in a crock pot. I have never been able to properly make short ribs in a crock pot despite cooking them all day...I don't think they get hot enough.

At any rate - they turned out great.

I'm more of a slow food kinda gal...and I agree that with the comment that it takes time for flavors to develop. Pressure cooking is not for me.

Just made chicken stock with it.

2 ribs of celery cut in half to fit in pot
2 carrots cut in half as well
2 onions cut in half
2 bay leaves
~dozen whole peppercorns
1.5 lbs of chicken feet.

cook for 90 minutes

The final product is thick with gelatin.

Just made chicken stock with it.

2 ribs of celery cut in half to fit in pot
2 carrots cut in half as well
2 onions cut in half
2 bay leaves
~dozen whole peppercorns
1.5 lbs of chicken feet.

cook for 90 minutes

The final product is thick with gelatin.
Does it taste like Chicken stock?

I make chicken stock this way...

Boil a whole chicken with several chopped carrots/celery and one onion. S&P only.
After about 45 minutes, I remove the chicken and strain out the veggies.
Then I put back in the pot the chicken bones and some of the skin.
Boil for another half hour, strain and freeze.
I call it liquid gold.

Yes. It tastes like chicken stock.

I've also used two or three chicken carcasses which I save up in the freezer. They have a lot of connective tissue as well which I consider to be the key.

I've also used two or three chicken carcasses which I save up in the freezer. They have a lot of connective tissue as well which I consider to be the key.
My stepmom makes chicken stock by filling the whole stock pot with a chicken and then a whole family pack of wings and another of thighs and I even saw her throw in a turkey drumstick once. It's all in the bones. Onion and s&p -- simmer for hours. She strains it out and the stock is so thick with gelatin you can stand a spoon in it when it's cold.
It's heaven.
The chicken is dried out and like rubber for being cooked so long, but if you've got a dog or cat, you're all set.

Yep. Stand a spoon up in it. Great description.

Chicken wings have a lot of connective tissue so they make a good choice. Chicken feet are a lot cheaper than wings where I shop so that's why I chose them. The end product still tastes like chicken stock.

I cook mine for 90 minutes in the pressure cooker but recipes I've read cook it for far less time.

One technique I didn't mention is to allow the pot to de-pressurize naturally. Doing a quick release of the pressure will stir up the stock and then one run's the risk of clouding up the final product.

Last edited:

My stepmom makes chicken stock by filling the whole stock pot with a chicken and then a whole family pack of wings and another of thighs and I even saw her throw in a turkey drumstick once. It's all in the bones. Onion and s&p -- simmer for hours. She strains it out and the stock is so thick with gelatin you can stand a spoon in it when it's cold.
It's heaven.
The chicken is dried out and like rubber for being cooked so long, but if you've got a dog or cat, you're all set.
Absolutely, when cold if it doesn't have a good 1/2" of gelatin blob on the top - it's not good stock.

It's heaven.
Absolutely, when cold if it doesn't have a good 1/2" of gelatin blob on the top - it's not good stock.
Too bad she's 700 miles away. I could use some right now.

Forum List

Back