instant hot hot water heaters

Slyhunter

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2014
Florida
Why aren't they selling them in Walmart? When I was in Cambodia all the hotels had one. If they can afford them so can we. They save money on electricity and they're hot. Instantly hot.

I had a old rennai in the loft in the 1990s...I dont even remember what it cost but I had one in tokyo...I friggin shipped one back...shipping free... I stuck it in a container ...ran well for lil over a decade. ..wanna take an hour shower with yer special lady...yes you can

It was simple to ...one dial and a pilot ...everyone should own one ....and it doesnt have to heat a big dopey tank of water...save energy for you enviro whackos

Why aren't they selling them in Walmart? When I was in Cambodia all the hotels had one. If they can afford them so can we. They save money on electricity and they're hot. Instantly hot.
Sly, no doubt they had them in Cambodia for practical reasons that it was easier than a central heater, but I actually looked into one of these years ago for the whole house (I think I was looking at gas models?) as I was intrigued at the idea of just heating water when I actually used it, but:
  1. The unit was considerably more expensive than a standard central heater.
  2. It is actually more expensive to operate for the amount of water you heat because of the need for extremely high instant on current or BTU demand to heat the water so hot so quickly in the short time it goes through the heat exchanger.

Sly, no doubt they had them in Cambodia for practical reasons that it was easier than a central heater, but I actually looked into one of these years ago for the whole house (I think I was looking at gas models?) as I was intrigued at the idea of just heating water when I actually used it, but:
  2. It is actually more expensive to operate for the amount of water you heat because of the need for extremely high instant on current or BTU demand to heat the water so hot so quickly in the short time it goes through the heat exchanger.
They are more expensive ...initial cost Thiers no energy loss ...you will need multple for a mcmansion

In the loft I had the kitchen and the bathroom that's was it
It was gas my gas bill was nothing in the summer ...the winter I had a giant modine in the kitchen ...it was thier when I bought the building I left it ...that would heat most of the space in half an hour ....i had two fireplaces ...one was an illegal pellet stove ...pellet stove illegal nyc . That I put in the bedroom cause I had real walls for the bedroom ...and when I built the walls I cut off one of the radiators ...

My oil bill for that building holy shit lol ...I was responsible for my tenants below me ...it was the law on Oct 1 that heat goes on.no matter what...turn it off in may
Always on the only time it went off is when it ran out of oil ...if it ran out in the middle night ....if I ran into some one in the elevator ....I would just say it's coming itll be back on shortly ...I always had the truck there the next day

We'd say a hail mary my cousin would fucking get that thing humming every year
You turn it on through every floor ....clang clang clang clang ...really really loud

They were yuge radiators like 6 feet long and 5 feet high

Last edited:
That place would get fuckin cold in the winter
Youre living in an old warehouse no insulation
And the radiators were by the windows which were taller then a chinee

Those under the sink models are pretty cool but I'd need eight of em. And those dont help with the showers and bathtubs.
We went with two big ones that run the whole house.
You wont get instant hot water but you do get endless hot water.

Last edited:

They don't save money except in very limited circumstances.

One of the biggest problems we ran into were the gas lines. Most American homes just dont have the capacity to run one correctly and you get a bunch of error codes and you have to reset it.Sometimes replacing your meter is the only option. We got lucky and only had to install larger lines.

You also cant have the control panel in your attic because the cold messes with them.

Once you get all the bugs worked out they're great but be prepared to ass up some cash.

I have an in line propane water heater plumbed into my lines. I also left the hot water tank in place. When I want to treat myself to a long hot shower i fire up the tank.

One of the biggest problems we ran into were the gas lines. Most American homes just dont have the capacity to run one correctly and you get a bunch of error codes and you have to reset it.Sometimes replacing your meter is the only option. We got lucky and only had to install larger lines.

You also cant have the control panel in your attic because the cold messes with them.

Once you get all the bugs worked out they're great but be prepared to ass up some cash.
I don't much see the point. I put a nice water heater in around 1995 for under $300 and it is still working great.

I don't much see the point. I put a nice water heater in around 1995 for under $300 and it is still working great.

We wanted the unlimited hot water.
And they generally last far longer than a hot water tank.
We had em installed 15 years ago when they weren't as common in the US as they were around the world and we ran into some problems. Would I do it again? Oh yeah I would.
And knowing what I know now our next house will be built to accept them from the get go.

The main reason we wanted them is for my back.
Wake up stiff and you take a seat on one of the benches and let the water pound away on your back. Way easier than heating up the hot tub.

They sell them at Lowes and Home Depot and have been sold there for years.

They have been around for decades...

People who have switched to them near me recently say they're efficient and provide plenty of hot water. I've used electric built-into-the-shower-stall water heaters all over Europe with overall good results.

But in one installation done some 9 years ago involving an oil-fired "instant" water heater (there is no piped natural gas available and propane is in limited availability) all was well for about 6 years. Then it was noted that (it's a multi-person dormitory type building) one person could get a decent shower but the second one would need to wait about 15 minutes or shower cold. Then a year or so later the first person had to rush through the shower or be frozen out. Second person? Later in the day.

The original contractor has no clue and the manufacturer only says the older models are no longer supported.

OK, today's technology may be better but if I were to think of converting I'd actually do it only if I figured I'd be selling the house within a year or two.

Nice product.

I have a propane tankless water heater that heats water for the radiant floor system and provides hot tap water.

It works great and unlike the electric ones the heating element never wears out

Forum List

Back