Indefinite Lifespans Are just Around the Corner, Friends

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
About that Social Security thingy and UBI's.....

EXCLUSIVE: First human embryos edited in U.S., using CRISPR

The first known attempt at creating genetically modified human embryos in the United States has been carried out by a team of researchers in Portland, Oregon, MIT Technology Review has learned.

The effort, led by Shoukhrat Mitalipov of Oregon Health and Science University, involved changing the DNA of a large number of one-cell embryos with the gene-editing technique CRISPR, according to people familiar with the scientific results.

Until now, American scientists have watched with a combination of awe, envy, and some alarm as scientists elsewhere were first to explore the controversial practice. To date, three previous reports of editing human embryos were all published by scientists in China.

Now Mitalipov is believed to have broken new ground both in the number of embryos experimented upon and by demonstrating that it is possible to safely and efficiently correct defective genes that cause inherited diseases.

George Church indicates reversal of aging will be a reality within ten years | NextBigFuture.com

“I [Church] don’t think it is about stalling or curing, its about reversing. Curing gives you the impression of immortality. Stalling gives you the impression that you’ll be 85 forever, which is not great.”

Fahy: Using your most favorable pathway for intervention, how long will it take before a human trial might be possible?

Church: I think it can happen very quickly. It may take years to get full approval, but it could take as little as a year to get approval for phase one trials. Trials of GDF11, myostatin, and others are already underway in animals, as are a large number of CRISPR trials. I think we’ll be seeing the first human trials in a year or two.

Fahy: Can you say what those trials might be?

Church: I helped start a company called Editas that is aimed at CRISPR-based genome editing therapies in general. Some of those will be aimed at rare childhood diseases and others hopefully will be aimed at diseases of aging. We also have a company focused specifically on aging reversal that will be testing these therapies in animal and human models.

Cellular Reprogramming Rejuvenates Old Mice and Boosts Lifespans 30%

In 2006, Japanese researcher Shinya Yamanaka showed that it was possible to convert adult cells into induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells by exposing them to four specific transcription factors (proteins that regulate gene expression). He won a Nobel prize for the discovery in 2012 and the factors are now named after him.

Other researchers have since shown that reprogramming adult cells into stem cells appears to rejuvenate them. But most studies have only achieved this in the petri dish, and attempts to induce pluripotency in animals have resulted in them developing tumors.

Normally the reprogramming process requires the cells to be exposed to the Yamanaka factors for weeks at a time. But in a paper published in the journal Cell last week, the Salk researchers describe how they discovered that reducing the exposure time resulted in the reversal of many of the hallmarks of aging without fully reprogramming the cells.

I don't like this idea any more than GMO foods. It's fucking with Nature. And that's supreme arrogance.

If an when hominids "achieve" this, it will signal the beginning of the end of human existance on the planet. And I'm not at all convinced that would be a bad thing for the planet.

Well with research into genetic disease (such as Charlie Gard) comes messing with genes.

In another tread we were talking about genetically altered mosquitoes to get rid of Zika, etc, maybe that is natures way of taking care of itself.

I don't like this idea any more than GMO foods. It's fucking with Nature. And that's supreme arrogance.

Couldn't you say the same thing about curing diseases today that 100 years ago people typically died from?

Couldn't you say the same thing about curing diseases today that 100 years ago people typically died from?

Not at all. That involves hygiene and killing bacteria and such --- not changing the nature of Nature. Or as theists might call it, "playing God".

I don't think the previous post's allusion to altered mosquitoes counts either. In that case they're shutting down the reproductive process, not changing the nature of what Creation put together.

Well, there are so many different diseases; quash one and others take their place.

But if we can drastically improve the body to be resistant to disease and remain healthy, we could end up maximizing normal life spans at the minimum.

We just need to find the DNA switch for aging... The advances to humanity could be exponential, if our learned folks kept learning more, instead of dying off, and having to start over, having to relearn everything that can only be learned through experience.

So now I can live to be as old as the patriarchs of the Old Testament, they must have been bored out of their minds after 5-700 years..What with no deck of cards...

I don't think I'd want to live much longer. Not unless they can fix the body and cure all the age problems.

Not at all. That involves hygiene and killing bacteria and such --- not changing the nature of Nature. Or as theists might call it, "playing God".

Either way, be it a viral disease or age itself, both are an affliction on our lives. The main issue I see with prolonging people's lives is ultimately we'd have an overpopulation crisis.

Either way, be it a viral disease or age itself, both are an affliction on our lives. The main issue I see with prolonging people's lives is ultimately we'd have an overpopulation crisis.
One; stop having babies.

Two, modifying genes to prevent genetic diseases is a long way from curing cancer much less allowing us to live a thousand years.

So now I can live to be as old as the patriarchs of the Old Testament, they must have been bored out of their minds after 5-700 years..What with no deck of cards...

They played ten-cart Tarot, "pinnacles wild".

They played ten-cart Tarot, "pinnacles wild".
No, they sat around and ate cheese and drank wine and thought men could walk on water.

You mean God's work?
I don't think that's what they meant... After all... If they did; I'm sure that's what they would have typed...

But as for "messing with nature... "
That is what has catapulted humanity to where we are today. It is who, and what we are. This research will continue, and ultimately see fruition. All throughout humanities history, we have searched for the " fountain of youth", and a method of immortality. That will never change.

You mean God's work?
I don't think that's what they meant... After all... If they did; I'm sure that's what they would have typed...

But as for "messing with nature... "
That is what has catapulted humanity to where we are today. It is who, and what we are. This research will continue, and ultimately see fruition. All throughout humanities history, we have searched for the " fountain of youth", and a method of immortality. That will never change.
"A Rose by any other name".

Regardless if someone calls it Yahweh or Gaia, the philosophy of "don't mess with nature" pushes that mankind shouldn't try to change what has already been created.

I agree with you that "messing with nature" is what has allowed us to excel as a species and remain at the top of the food chain.

Forum List

Back