incoming ian

I live right in the middle of the Ian Cone of Death. On the eastern side of Tampa.

Been spending the last few days preparing.

We are 50 ft above sea level so there is not worry of flooding.

Plenty of food, water, propane and enough gasoline to run my generator for two weeks.

It being Florida I have small backup low wattage window AC unit so that we can at least sleep at night. It won't cool the whole house but make the master bedroom suite livable.

The 2200 watt generator can run the refrigerator and window AC on the Econ mode with enough left over for lights and maybe even a fan.

We can do cooking on the Big Green Egg and a gas grill.

It won't be the most comfortable living but we will do fine until the power gets restored.

I take responsibility for my own well being. No need to rely on the government.

By the way, plenty of guns and ammo. Looters will be shot. This ain't no New Orleans.

My father was an original Hurricane Hunter and was instrumental in getting the U.S. to recognize the European model of Hurricane tracking. This model was originated by a Professor at the Univ. of Berlin whose classes my father attended.

True story, underling.
sure sure. whatever helps you sleep at night.

I live right in the middle of the Ian Cone of Death. On the eastern side of Tampa.

Been spending the last few days preparing.

We are 50 ft above sea level so there is not worry of flooding.

Plenty of food, water, propane and enough gasoline to run my generator for two weeks.

It being Florida I have small backup low wattage window AC unit so that we can at least sleep at night. It won't cool the whole house but make the master bedroom suite livable.

The 2200 watt generator can run the refrigerator and window AC on the Econ mode with enough left over for lights and maybe even a fan.

We can do cooking on the Big Green Egg and a gas grill.

It won't be the most comfortable living but we will do fine until the power gets restored.

I take responsibility for my own well being. No need to rely on the government.

By the way, plenty of guns and ammo. Looters will be shot. This ain't no New Orleans.
A true boy scout. Be prepared

I've been through more hurricanes than I can count. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
That's the thing. Living in an area where it can happen you may be glad if it misses the area lived in, but it hits someone else. Some areas take a long time to recover.

Actually the bottom shelf of the Gulf is not that deep.
Any significant and prolonged storm surge in the Tampa area will spell havoc.

That's the thing. Living in an area where it can happen you may be glad if it misses the area lived in, but it hits someone else. Some areas take a long time to recover.
New Orleans was forever changed.

A true boy scout. Be prepared
I have sent most of my life in Florida since I was born in 1947. I have been through a dozen hurricanes. I have learned the hard way to be prepared.

The worst hurricane I went through was Hurricane Donna in 1960. I lived in a rural area then. We were without electricity for over six weeks. Gas for the car was almost impossible to find. The little city about ten miles away with only one grocery store didn't get restocked for groceries for a month. We had to fish and hunt game for food. Our supper for several nights was gator tail and Heart of Palm.

Actually the bottom shelf of the Gulf is not that deep.
Any significant and prolonged storm surge in the Tampa area will spell havoc.
Hurricanes hitting bays and river mouths mean an intensified storm surge. A mere tropical storm just passed by here in 2004 during a full moon high tide. We got an unbelievably destructive five foot storm surge. The shape of Tampa bay is perfect to magnify the storm surge to catastrophic levels.

New Orleans was forever changed.
New Orleans was stupid for decades.

I think you underestimate the height and power of Cuba mountains to tear a hurricane up.

This ain't my 1st rodeo. There's mountains higher in Cuba than anything in Florida.

They are serious business.

I have sent most of my life in Florida since I was born in 1947. I have been through a dozen hurricanes. I have learned the hard way to be prepared.

The worst hurricane I went through was Hurricane Donna in 1960. I lived in a rural area then. We were without electricity for over six weeks. Gas for the car was almost impossible to find. The little city about ten miles away with only one grocery store didn't get restocked for groceries for a month. We had to fish and hunt game for food. Our supper for several nights was gator tail and Heart of Palm.
that's some serious redneck skills. kudos.

New Orleans was stupid for decades.

I think you underestimate the height and power of Cuba mountains to tear a hurricane up.

This ain't my 1st rodeo. There's mountains higher in Cuba than anything in Florida.

They are serious business.

they will on a direct hit. this doesn't look like a direct Cuban hit.

Swamp cabbage n gator tail..hoo boy! :auiqs.jpg:

they will on a direct hit. this doesn't look like a direct Cuban hit.

Doesn't matter, I've seen them tear hurricanes up for decades. Goes in Cat 2-comes out 38 mph Tropical Storm. If the eye goes over the Cuban mountains, it will disrupt the hurricane bigly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back