Income inequality is fine by me.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I just heard this on Bulls n Bears and I think its a great analogy.

Income inequality complaints are akin to taking an A student and giving him a B instead so the D student can have a C and pass even though someone else earned his grade.

Discuss

I think you miss the point......income inequality is not a redistribution of wealth like the rightwing propaganda machine constantly spouts, but a redistribution of opportunity.
In your analogy it is not setting aside the higher grades for the privileged few

In a nutshell, giving a selected few of the students the answers in advance

Income inequality complaints are akin to taking an A student and giving him a B instead so the D student can have a C and pass even though someone else earned his grade.

Discuss

It sucks, boiling down a complex problem into a simplistic metaphor that ultimately ignores reality is the height of intellectual laziness.

• Banned
I think you miss the point......income inequality is not a redistribution of wealth like the rightwing propaganda machine constantly spouts, but a redistribution of opportunity.
In your analogy it is not setting aside the higher grades for the privileged few

Couldn't disagree more. As most of you know I am an ex con, yet I went to college and am pretty successful at this point in my life despite the hurdle of my past. A hurdle much larger than most have to overcome I might add.

Lack of opportunity my ass.

Or maybe the elite students get to fire the teachers burn the school and make the regular students rebuild it out their own pockets.

Discuss

Now people will likely make the argument that you're saying that people who make less are lazy or stupid, or something like that, but in reality the argument is simply that jobs are not created equal. Flipping burgers is not equal to running a major corporation, and so income inequality exists between the people doing these jobs as it should.

Couldn't disagree more. As most of you know I am an ex con, yet I went to college and am pretty successful at this point in my life despite the hurdle of my past. A hurdle much larger than most have to overcome I might add.

Just think, if your dad was a billionaire you could have killed people and never went to jail, got a free ride through a party school and have a hell of a lot more and not had to struggle at all.

Last edited:

Lack of opportunity does not mean lack of any opportunity. You can rise to the point where you can support yourself and maybe afford a few luxuries. That is the most that many Americans can aspire to

But your analogy is that the students receiving the A gets them through merit and hard work. The playing field is not level, those receiving the bulk of the wealth do so because they make the rules in their own favor and against the average worker

In the test we call life, they receive the answers in advance and are unlikely to fail

Last edited:
If the wealthy make rules to benefit themselves only and not allow anyone else to become wealthy, then no one would become wealthy. We know that's not true. For some reason immigrants can come here, not even knowing the language, and become very wealthy.

The rich won't let me, is the mark of someone without ambition, motivation or even interest in bettering their own lives. It's like the losing football team claiming that their inability to score is the fault of the opposing team not letting them get a touchdown. It's an excuse for their own failure.

If the wealthy make rules to benefit themselves only and not allow anyone else to become wealthy, then no one would become wealthy. We know that's not true. For some reason immigrants can come here, not even knowing the language, and become very wealthy.

The rich won't let me, is the mark of someone without ambition, motivation or even interest in bettering their own lives. It's like the losing football team claiming that their inability to score is the fault of the opposing team not letting them get a touchdown. It's an excuse for their own failure.

Don't transfer your misconceptions to the rest of us. Becoming moderately wealthy through everyday commerce is of course possible but to enter the ranks of the truly elite, the power brokers, the politician buyers, is beyond even your wildest flights of fancy. It's the same old, old money that has entrenched its own selfish interests into our political structure, trumping our interests, that concern us, not the car dealer or the store owner that has actually built something honestly.

In grandpas school analogy we are all D students who through hard work and sacrifice can hope to become C students and pass in the school of life. A few may even become B students

But the A students know they will receive an A before they even take the first test. They are given the answers in advance and will succeed with or without effort

That is income inequality

The D students HAVE to believe that the A students get the answers in advance rather than studying because those D students want to have the answers in advance themselves. They are such failures that they can't possibly imagine someone getting an A without having the answers in advance. They can't accept that while they are partying and drinking someone else is actually studying.

Why don't you guys just admit that you despise capitalism because that is what this boils down to.

I already commented on the laziness of boiling things down to the point that a metaphor is no longer apt. As to hating capitalism, I actually do hate the part where the 0.01%, the so-called "captains of industry" are held blameless for their reckless actions, protected by pet politicians and are bailed out by the rest of us.

Terrible analogy. I'd say it's more like the A students are given graphing calculators and private tutors while the D students get a pencil and paper.

Income inequality and fixing it.

Two years ago I was in an art show. Some people won awards and some didn't. Some of the paintings were sold with purchase prices going from $3,000 down to $50.00.

An unhappy person wrote to the show organizers and complained about the inequality. Her suggestions were: Everyone get the same "participation award" eliminatiang First, Second, Third and Best in Show. The total of the purchase prices of all paintings sold be divided according to all artists in the show and distributed among them to equalize the benefit whether or not they won anything or sold anything.

This is the meaning of income inequality and the essence of income redistribution.

In grandpas school analogy we are all D students who through hard work and sacrifice can hope to become C students and pass in the school of life. A few may even become B students

But the A students know they will receive an A before they even take the first test. They are given the answers in advance and will succeed with or without effort

That is income inequality

I was an A student, not because I was smarter than everyone else, not because I was given an A in advance and not because I was given answers in advance. It was mainly because I tried harder than most. You and too many others have the victim mentality, hopefully one day people wake up and start to realize this. One thing is for certain, it won't happen as long as we have "leaders" like Obama..........

Don't transfer your misconceptions to the rest of us. Becoming moderately wealthy through everyday commerce is of course possible but to enter the ranks of the truly elite, the power brokers, the politician buyers, is beyond even your wildest flights of fancy. It's the same old, old money that has entrenched its own selfish interests into our political structure, trumping our interests, that concern us, not the car dealer or the store owner that has actually built something honestly.

IT has never occurred to you that those that inherit any wealth must themselves be a good steward of that wealth otherwise it will disappear. And being a good steward requires hard work.

Why is it that the left so bases their lifes' successes on whether they can acquire material luxuries? Success in life is so much more.

Everyone does not have the same skills and ability's so there not going to get paid equally it's really that simple some feel that's not fair well life is not always fair never has been never will be.

IT has never occurred to you that those that inherit any wealth must themselves be a good steward of that wealth otherwise it will disappear. And being a good steward requires hard work.

Why is it that the left so bases their lifes' successes on whether they can acquire material luxuries? Success in life is so much more.

One of the things that I find most remarkable about rich people is that they never stop working. Unless sidelined by illness they work up until they drop on the job.

Of course when talking about politician buyers, liberals never mention unions or union bosses.

New Topics

Forum List

Back