In the beginning...

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
Does the phrase, "In the beginning" in Genesis chapter 1 refer to the beginning of the creation of this earth or does it refer to the beginning of everything that ever exists outside of God himself?

Does the phrase, "In the beginning" in Genesis chapter 1 refer to the beginning of the creation of this earth or does it refer to the beginning of everything that ever exists outside of God himself?
I'm not sure, either way it's not going to be historically accurate. But does it need to be?

For 'God' to be 'God', nothing could be outside of God.

What I meant is that some believe that God created all things and that excepting God, does "in the beginning" refer to the beginning of all other things?

I'm not sure, either way it's not going to be historically accurate. But does it need to be?

Not sure what you mean by not being historically accurate. Can you elaborate?

Not sure what you mean by not being historically accurate. Can you elaborate?
The earth wasn't created in six days, man wasn't the first life firm in the planet, the sky isn't a dome, a bird didn't flap it's wings to make the mountains and valleys.

It's metaphorical, hence the lack of detail

Are you saying that it isn't stated in the bible what "In the beginning" is referring to?

According to the verses in Genesis 1, the earth itself was created "in the beginning" and not during the six periods that followed. For after the earth was created, light was introduced onto the earth and based on this light the next seven periods were reckoned.

It is also interesting to note that the light used to do this reckoning was not the light of the sun. The sun was not introduced to the earth until the 4th period of creation starting in verse 14.

According to the verses in Genesis 1, the earth itself was created "in the beginning" and not during the six periods that followed. For after the earth was created, light was introduced onto the earth and based on this light the next seven periods were reckoned.
Didn't you just answer your own question then?

So that begs the question, what was the source of the light that was used to reckon the days of creation and was it the same reckoning of time as we now have in relation to the sun?

I am pointing out what I have learned. But I know some believe differently and I want to hear their reasoning.

So that begs the question, what was the source of the light that was used to reckon the days of creation and was it the same reckoning of time as we now have in relation to the sun?
If I may go ahead and jump forward a dozen or so posts are you trying to disprove God through logic?

I am pointing out what I have learned. But I know some believe differently and I want to hear their reasoning.
From where and from whom did you learn this?

I am not trying to disprove God. I believe in him very much. And I do believe in the bible. Let me quote the first several verses:

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

I find it first logical that according to verses 1-3 God created the heaven and earth and at that time the light had not yet been placed upon the earth. In verse 4 and 5 God allowed there to be light upon the earth and then started to reckon the days according to this light.

Now these are the verses of the 4th day of light...

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Obviously the greater light that rules our day is the sun and the lesser light that rules the night is the moon. Notice in verse 17 that God sets them in the firmament (sky) to give light upon the earth. This all happening in the 4th day according to that first light that was shown upon the earth.

Recently, we've seen evidence that the universe has always existed. If true, there would be no need of gods to create much of anything cuz it was already here.

But if one does believe in the christian god, the bible says we all came from Noah's family screwing each other.

Genesis, virgin birth, Noah ... are we the product of incest, infanticide or what?

The other gods preach variations on the same stuff.

I am not trying to disprove God. I believe in him very much. And I do believe in the bible. Let me quote the first several verses:

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

I find it first logical that according to verses 1-3 God created the heaven and earth and at that time the light had not yet been placed upon the earth. In verse 4 and 5 God allowed there to be light upon the earth and then started to reckon the days according to this light.

Now these are the verses of the 4th day of light...

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Obviously the greater light that rules our day is the sun and the lesser light that rules the night is the moon. Notice in verse 17 that God sets them in the firmament (sky) to give light upon the earth. This all happening in the 4th day according to that first light that was shown upon the earth.
I have my Bible at my elbow but that's for the reprint. Never enough Bible. :) I have gone over the first chapter a few times. I do not mean to question God but I do not know why he included that. He could have very well left it out and we would have been fine with the rest of the book. I have just come to the conclusion that the first chapter is an enigma and to try pages a little less challenging to the mind, like the book of Job. You want a real dosy try reading the story of Noah and find all those points which are just glossed over in the children's edition. Strange things are a goin' on in the Bible.

Forum List

Back